Volume 1, Number 4—October 1995
Diagnosis of Tuberculosis in Children: Increased Need for Better Methods
|A. Positive acid-fast stain of sputum or gastric aspirate|
|B. Two or more of the following:|
|History of contact with a tuberculous adult|
|Cough lasting longer than 2 weeks|
|A reactive tuberculin skin test > or = 10 mm in children without prior BCG vaccination > or = 15 mm in children with prior BCG vaccination|
|Radiographic findings compatible with TB|
| Response to anti-TB therapy (increased body weight by 10% after 2 months, decrease in symptoms)
|Source: ref. 33.|
- Starke JR, Correa AG. Management of mycobacterial infection and disease in children. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1995;14:455–70.
- Styblo K, Rouillon A. Tuberculosis in developing countries: burden, intervention and cost. Bull Int Union Against Tuber Lung Dis. 1990;65:6–24.
- Starke JR, Jacobs R, Jereb J. Resurgence of tuberculosis in children. J Pediatr. 1992;120:839–55.
- Cantwell M, Snider D Jr, Cauthen G, Onorato I. Epidemiology of tuberculosis in the United States, 1985 through 1992. JAMA. 1994;272:535–9.
- Kochi A. The global tuberculosis situation and the new control strategy of the World Health Organization. Tuber Lung Dis. 1991;72:1–6.
- Raviglione MC, Snider DE, Kochi A. Global epidemiology of tuberculosis. Morbidity and mortality of a worldwide epidemic. JAMA. 1995;273:220–6.
- Dolin P, Raviglione M, Kochi A. Global tuberculosis incidence and mortality during 1990-2000. Bull World Health Organ. 1994;72:213–20.
- Barnes PF, Borrows SA. Tuberculosis in the 1990s. Ann Intern Med. 1993;119:400–10.
- Hsu KHK. Contact investigation: a practical approach to tuberculosis eradication. Am J Public Health. 1963;53:1761–9.
- Nolan RJ Jr. Childhood tuberculosis in North Carolina: a study of the opportunities for intervention in the transmission of tuberculosis to children. Am J Public Health. 1986;76:26–30.
- Brailey ME. Tuberculosis in white and negro children. II. The epidemiologic aspects of the Harriet Lane study. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1958.
- Steiner P, Rao M, Victoria MS, Persistently negative tuberculin reactions: their presence among children culture positive for M. tuberculosis. Am J Dis Child. 1980;134:747–50.
- Starke JR, Taylor-Watts KT. Tuberculosis in the pediatric population of Houston, Texas. Pediatrics. 1989;84:28–35.
- Vallejo J, Ong LT, Starke JR. Clinical features, diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis in infants. Pediatrics. 1994;94:1–7.
- Lifschitz M. The value of the tuberculin skin test as a screening test for tuberculosis among BCG-vaccinated children. Pediatrics. 1965;36:624–7.
- Landi S, Ashley MJ, Grzybowski S. Tuberculin sensitivity following the intradermal and puncture methods of BCG vaccination. Can Med Assoc J. 1967;97:222–5.
- Joncas JH, Robitaille R, Gauthier T. Interpretation of the PPD skin test in BCG-vaccinated children. Can Med Assoc J. 1975;113:127–8.
- Johnson H, Lee B, Kelly E, McDonnell T. Tuberculin sensitivity and the BCG scar in tuberculosis contacts. Tuber Lung Dis. 1995;35:113–7.
- Menzies R, Vissandjee B. Effect of bacille Calmette-Guerin vaccination on tuberculin reactivity. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1992;141:621–5.
- Sepulveda RL, Burr C, Ferrer X, Sorensen RU. Booster effect of tuberculin testing in healthy 6-year-old school children vaccinated with bacille Calmette-Guerin at birth in Santiago, Chile. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1988;7:578–82.
- American Thoracic Society. Diagnostic standards and classification of tuberculosis. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1990;142:725–35.
- American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Infectious Diseases. Screening for tuberculosis in infants and children. Pediatrics. 1994;93:131–4.
- Schaaf HS, Beyers N, Gie RP, Respiratory tuberculosis in childhood: the diagnostic value of clinical features and special investigations. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1995;14:189–94.
- Parisi MT, Jensen MC, Wood BP. Pictorial review of the usual and unusual roentgen manifestations of childhood tuberculosis. Clin Imaging. 1994;18:149–54.
- Delacourt C, Mani TM, Bonnerot V, Computed tomography with normal chest radiograph in tuberculous infection. Arch Dis Child. 1993;69:430–2.
- Strumpf IJ, Tsang AY, Syre JW. Reevaluation of sputum staining for the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1979;119:599–602.
- Lipsky BA, Bates J, Tenover FC, Plorde JJ. Factors affecting the clinical value of microscopy for acid-fast bacilli. Rev Infect Dis. 1984;6:214–22.
- Kent PT, Kubica GP. Public health mycobacteriology a guide for the level III laboratory. Atlanta, GA; Centers for Disease Control, 1985.
- Abadco DL, Steiner P. Gastric lavage is better than bronchioalveolar lavage for isolation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in childhood tuberculosis. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1992;11:735–8.
- Carr DT, Karlson AG, Stillwell AA. A comparison of cultures of induced sputum and gastric washings in the diagnosis of tuberculosis. Mayo Clin Proc. 1967;42:23–5.
- Chan S, Abadco DL, Steiner P. Role of flexible fiberoptic bronchoscopy in the diagnosis of childhood endobronchial tuberculosis. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1994;13:506–9.
- Glidey Y, Hable D. Tuberculosis in childhood: an analysis of 412 cases. Ethiop Med J. 1983;21:161–7.
- Migliori AB, Borghesi A, Rossanigo P, Proposal for an improved score method for the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in childhood in developing countries. Tuber Lung Dis. 1992;73:145–9.
- Schluger NW, Rom WN. Current approaches to the diagnosis of active pulmonary tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1994;149:264–7.
- Eisenach KD, Sifford MD, Cane MD, Bates JH, Crawford JT. Detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in sputum samples using a polymerase chain reaction. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1991;144:1160–3.
- Noordhock A, Kolk A, Bjune G, Sensitivity and specificity of polymerase chain reaction for detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis: a blind comparison study among seven laboratories. J Clin Microbiol. 1994;32:277–84.
- Pierre C, Oliver C, Lecossier D, Bousssougant Y, Yemi P, Hance AJ. Diagnosis of primary tuberculosis in children by amplification and detection of mycobacterial DNA. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1993;147:420–4.
- Starke JR, Ong LT, Eisenach KD, Detection of M. tuberculosis in gastric aspirate samples from children using polymerase chain reaction. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1993;147(Suppl):A801.
- Delacourt C, Poveda J-D, Churean C, Use of polymerase chain reaction for improved diagnosis of tuberculosis in children. J Pediatr. 1995;126:703–9.
- Rosen EU. The diagnostic value of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay using adsorbed mycobacterial sonicates in children. Tubercle. 1990;71:127–30.
- Barrera L, Miceli I, Ritacco V, Detection of circulating antibodies to purified protein derivative by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay: its potential for the rapid diagnosis of tuberculosis. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1989;8:763–7.
- Hussey G, Kibel M, Dempster W. The serodiagnosis of tuberculosis in children: an evaluation of an ELISA test using IgG antibodies to M. tuberculosis, strain H37RV. Ann Trop Paediatr. 1991;11:113–8.
- Delacourt C, Gobin J, Gaillard J-L, de Blic J, Veran M, Scheinmann P. Value of ELISA using antigen 60 for the diagnosis of tuberculosis in children. Chest. 1993;104:393–8.
- Turneer M, Nerom EV, Nyabenda J, Waelbroeck A, Duvivier A, Toppet M. Determination of humoral immunoglobulins M and G directed against mycobacterial antigen 60 failed to diagnose primary tuberculosis and mycobacterial adenitis in children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1994;150:1508–12.
- Sada E, Ruiz-Palacios AM, Lopez-Vidal Y, Detection of mycobacterial antigens in cerebrospinal fluid of patients with tuberculous meningitis by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Lancet. 1983;2:651–2.
- Radhakrishnan VV, Sehgal S, Mathai A. Correlation between culture of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and detection of mycobacterial antigens in cerebrospinal fluid of patients with tuberculous meningitis. J Med Microbiol. 1990;33:223–6.
- Wadee AA, Boling L, Reddy SG. Antigen capture assay for detection of a 43-kilodalton Mycobacterium tuberculosis antigen. J Clin Microbiol. 1990;28:2786–91.
- Sada E, Aguilar D, Torres M, Detection of lipoarabinomannan as a diagnostic test for tuberculosis. J Clin Microbiol. 1992;30:2415–8.
- Brooks JB, Daneshvar MI, Fast DM, Selective procedures for detecting femtomole quantities of tuberculostearic acid in serum and cerebrospinal fluid by frequency-pulsed electron-capture gas-liquid chromatograph. J Clin Microbiol. 1987;25:1201–6.
- Brooks JB, Daneshvar MI, Harberger RL, Rapid diagnosis of tuberculous meningitis by frequency-pulsed electron-captive gas-liquid chromatography detection of carboxylic acids in cerebrospinal fluid. J Clin Microbiol. 1990;28:989–97.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National action plan to combat multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. MMWR. 1992;41:5–50.
- Bloch AB, Cauthen GM, Onorato IM, Nationwide survey of drug-resistant tuberculosis in the United States. JAMA. 1994;271:665–71.
Page created: December 20, 2010
Page updated: December 20, 2010
Page reviewed: December 20, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.