Volume 10, Number 10—October 2004
Current Epidemiology of Pneumocystis Pneumonia
|Study (ref)||Site||Study period||No. patients||Population||Diagnostic sample/method||% with PCP (n)|
|Abouya, 1992 (30)||Cote d’Ivoire||1989||53||Died while inpatient||Autopsy lung tissue/Grocott||8 (4)|
|Ansari, 2002 (31)||Botswana||1997–1998||104||Died while inpatient||Autopsy lung tissue/Grocott||11 (11)|
|Aderaye, 2003 (32)||Ethiopia||1996||119||Symptomatic, AFB negative, outpatients||Expectorated sputum/IF||11 (13)|
|Batungwanayo, 1994 (33)||Rwanda||1990||111||Symptomatic, AFB negative, outpatients||BAL, Tbbx/Methenamine silver||5 (5)|
|Kamanfu, 1993 (34)||Burundi||1991||222||Symptomatic, hospitalized||BAL/Giemsa, IF||5 (11)|
|Malin, 1995 (35)||Zimbabwe||1992–1993||64||Symptomatic, hospitalized, AFB negative||BAL/Methenamine silver, diff-quik, toluidine blue-O||33 (21)|
|Worodria, 2003 (36)||Uganda||1999–2000||83||Symptomatic, hospitalized, AFB negative||BAL/IF||39 (32)|
aAFB, acid-fast bacilli; BAL, bronchoalveolar lavage; IF, immunofluorescence; IS, induced sputum; NPA, nasopharyngeal aspirate.
- Kaplan JE, Hanson D, Dworkin MS, Frederick T, Bertolli J, Lindegren ML, Epidemiology of human immunodeficiency virus-associated opportunistic infections in the United States in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;30(Suppl 1):S5–14.
- Masur H, Michelis MA, Greene JB, Onorato I, Stouwe RA, Holzman RS, An outbreak of community-acquired Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia: initial manifestation of cellular immune dysfunction. N Engl J Med. 1981;305:1431–8.
- Phair J, Munoz A, Detels R, Kaslow R, Rinaldo C, Saah A. The risk of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia among men infected with human immunodeficiency virus type 1. Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study Group. N Engl J Med. 1990;322:161–5.
- Hay JW, Osmond DH, Jacobson MA. Projecting the medical costs of AIDS and ARC in the United States. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1988;1:466–85.
- Fischl MA, Dickinson GM, La Voie L. Safety and efficacy of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim chemoprophylaxis for Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in AIDS. JAMA. 1988;259:1185–9.
- Kaslow RA, Ostrow DG, Detels R, Phair JP, Polk BF, Rinaldo CR Jr. The multicenter AIDS cohort study: rationale, organization, and selected characteristics of the participants. Am J Epidemiol. 1987;126:310–8.
- Detels R, Tarwater P, Phair JP, Margolick J, Riddler SA, Munoz A. Effectiveness of potent antiretroviral therapies on the incidence of opportunistic infections before and after AIDS diagnosis. AIDS. 2001;15:347–55.
- Mocroft A, Katlama C, Johnson AM, Pradier C, Antunes F, Mulcahy F, AIDS across Europe, 1994-98: the EuroSIDA study. Lancet. 2000;356:291–6.
- Weverling GJ, Mocroft A, Ledergerber B, Kirk O, Gonzales-Lahoz J, d’Arminio Monforte A, Discontinuation of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia prophylaxis after start of highly active antiretroviral therapy in HIV-1 infection. EuroSIDA Study Group. Lancet. 1999;353:1293–8.
- Stansell JD, Osmond DH, Charlebois E, LaVange L, Wallace JM, Alexander BV, Predictors of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in HIV-infected persons. Pulmonary Complications of HIV Infection Study Group. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1997;155:60–6.
- Kaplan JE, Masur H, Holmes KK. Guidelines for preventing opportunistic infections among HIV-infected persons—2002. Recommendations of the U.S. Public Health Service and the Infectious Diseases Society of America. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2002;51:1–52.
- Kaplan JE, Hanson DL, Navin TR, Jones JL. Risk factors for primary Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in human immunodeficiency virus-infected adolescents and adults in the United States: reassessment of indications for chemoprophylaxis. J Infect Dis. 1998;178:1126–32.
- Morgello S, Mahboob R, Yakoushina T, Khan S, Hague K. Autopsy findings in a human immunodeficiency virus-infected population over 2 decades: influences of gender, ethnicity, risk factors, and time. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2002;126:182–90.
- Huang L, Crothers K, Morris A, Groner G, Fox M, Turner JR, Pneumocystis colonization in HIV-infected patients. J Eukaryot Microbiol. 2003;50(Suppl):616–7.
- Nevez G, Raccurt C, Jounieaux V, Dei-Cas E, Mazars E. Pneumocystosis versus pulmonary Pneumocystis carinii colonization in HIV-negative and HIV-positive patients. AIDS. 1999;13:535–6.
- Dankner WM, Lindsey JC, Levin MJ. Correlates of opportunistic infections in children infected with the human immunodeficiency virus managed before highly active antiretroviral therapy. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2001;20:40–8.
- Kattan M, Platzker A, Mellins RB, Schluchter MD, Chen XC, Peavy H, Respiratory diseases in the first year of life in children born to HIV-1-infected women. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2001;31:267–76.
- Kovacs A, Frederick T, Church J, Eller A, Oxtoby M, Mascola L. CD4 T-lymphocyte counts and Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in pediatric HIV infection. JAMA. 1991;265:1698–703.
- Wakefield AE, Stewart TJ, Moxon ER, Marsh K, Hopkin JM. Infection with Pneumocystis carinii is prevalent in healthy Gambian children. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1990;84:800–2.
- Vargas SL, Hughes WT, Santolaya ME, Ulloa AV, Ponce CA, Cabrera CE, Search for primary infection by Pneumocystis carinii in a cohort of normal, healthy infants. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;32:855–61.
- Williams AJ, Duong T, McNally LM, Tookey PA, Masters J, Miller R, Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia and cytomegalovirus infection in children with vertically acquired HIV infection. AIDS. 2001;15:335–9.
- Vargas SL, Ponce CA, Hughes WT, Wakefield AE, Weitz JC, Donoso S, Association of primary Pneumocystis carinii infection and sudden infant death syndrome. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;29:1489–93.
- Fisk DT, Meshnick S, Kazanjian PH. Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in patients in the developing world who have acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;36:70–8.
- Wannamethee SG, Sirivichayakul S, Phillips AN, Ubolyam S, Ruxrungtham K, Hanvanich M, Clinical and immunological features of human immunodeficiency virus infection in patients from Bangkok, Thailand. Int J Epidemiol. 1998;27:289–95.
- Lumbiganon P, Kosalaraksa P, Loapaiboon M. Survival of children with AIDS: experience in a university hospital in northeast Thailand. J Med Assoc Thai. 2000;83:652–6.
- Michalany J, Mattos AL, Michalany NS, Filie AC, Montezzo LC. Acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) in Brazil. Necropsy findings. Ann Pathol. 1987;7:15–24.
- Weinberg A, Duarte MI. Respiratory complications in Brazilian patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 1993;35:129–39.
- Pitchenik AE, Fischl MA, Dickinson GM, Becker DM, Fournier AM, O’Connell MT, Opportunistic infections and Kaposi’s sarcoma among Haitians: evidence of a new acquired immunodeficiency state. Ann Intern Med. 1983;98:277–84.
- Mohar A, Romo J, Salido F, Jessurun J, Ponce de Leon S, Reyes E, The spectrum of clinical and pathological manifestations of AIDS in a consecutive series of autopsied patients in Mexico. AIDS. 1992;6:467–73.
- Abouya YL, Beaumel A, Lucas S, Dago-Akribi A, Coulibaly G, N’Dhatz M, Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. An uncommon cause of death in African patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1992;145:617–20.
- Ansari NA, Kombe AH, Kenyon TA, Hone NM, Tappero JW, Nyirenda ST, Pathology and causes of death in a group of 128 predominantly HIV-positive patients in Botswana, 1997–1998. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2002;6:55–63.
- Aderaye G, Bruchfeld J, Olsson M, Lindquist L. Occurrence of Pneumocystis carinii in HIV-positive patients with suspected pulmonary tuberculosis in Ethiopia. AIDS. 2003;17:435–40.
- Batungwanayo J, Taelman H, Lucas S, Bogaerts J, Alard D, Kagame A, Pulmonary disease associated with the human immunodeficiency virus in Kigali, Rwanda. A fiberoptic bronchoscopic study of 111 cases of undetermined etiology. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1994;149:1591–6.
- Kamanfu G, Mlika-Cabanne N, Girard PM, Nimubona S, Mpfizi B, Cishako A, Pulmonary complications of human immunodeficiency virus infection in Bujumbura, Burundi. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1993;147:658–63.
- Malin AS, Gwanzura LK, Klein S, Robertson VJ, Musvaire P, Mason PR. Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in Zimbabwe. Lancet. 1995;346:1258–61.
- Worodria W, Okot-Nwang M, Yoo SD, Aisu T. Causes of lower respiratory infection in HIV-infected Ugandan adults who are sputum AFB smear-negative. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2003;7:117–23.
- Ansari NA, Kombe AH, Kenyon TA, Mazhani L, Binkin N, Tappero JW, Pathology and causes of death in a series of human immunodeficiency virus-positive and -negative pediatric referral hospital admissions in Botswana. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2003;22:43–7.
- Chintu C, Mudenda V, Lucas S, Nunn A, Lishimpi K, Maswahu D, Lung diseases at necropsy in African children dying from respiratory illnesses: a descriptive necropsy study. Lancet. 2002;360:985.
- Graham SM, Mtitimila EI, Kamanga HS, Walsh AL, Hart CA, Molyneux ME. Clinical presentation and outcome of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in Malawian children. Lancet. 2000;355:369–73.
- Ikeogu MO, Wolf B, Mathe S. Pulmonary manifestations in HIV seropositivity and malnutrition in Zimbabwe. Arch Dis Child. 1997;76:124–8.
- Lucas SB, Peacock CS, Hounnou A, Brattegaard K, Koffi K, Honde M, Disease in children infected with HIV in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire. BMJ. 1996;312:335–8.
- Madhi SA, Cutland C, Ismail K, O’Reilly C, Mancha A, Klugman KP. Ineffectiveness of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole prophylaxis and the importance of bacterial and viral coinfections in African children with Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;35:1120–6.
- Ruffini DD, Madhi SA. The high burden of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in African HIV-1-infected children hospitalized for severe pneumonia. AIDS. 2002;16:105–12.
- Zar HJ, Hanslo D, Tannenbaum E, Klein M, Argent A, Eley B, Aetiology and outcome of pneumonia in human immunodeficiency virus-infected children hospitalized in South Africa. Acta Paediatr. 2001;90:119–25.
- Mocroft A, Phillips AN, Friis-Moller N, Colebunders R, Johnson AM, Hirschel B, Response to antiretroviral therapy among patients exposed to three classes of antiretrovirals: results from the EuroSIDA study. Antivir Ther. 2002;7:21–30.
Page created: March 30, 2011
Page updated: March 30, 2011
Page reviewed: March 30, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.