Volume 11, Number 2—February 2005
Surveillance and Control Measures after Smallpox Outbreaks
- Ferguson NM, Keeling MJ, Edmunds WJ, Gani R, Grenfell BT, Anderson RM, Planning for smallpox outbreaks. Nature. 2003;425:681–5.
- Eichner M. Analysis of historical data suggests long-lasting protective effects of smallpox vaccination. Am J Epidemiol. 2003;158:717–23.
- Eichner M, Dietz K. Transmission potential of smallpox: estimates based on detailed data from an outbreak. Am J Epidemiol. 2003;158:110–7.
- Gani R, Leach S. Transmission potential of smallpox in contemporary populations. Nature. 2001;414:748–51.
- Meltzer MI, Damon I, LeDuc JW, Millar JD. Modeling potential responses to smallpox as a bioterrorist weapon. Emerg Infect Dis. 2001;7:959–69.
- Hammarlund E, Lewis MW, Hansen SG, Strelow LI, Nelson JA, Sexton GJ, Duration of antiviral immunity after smallpox vaccination. Nat Med. 2003;9:1131–7.
- Hope EW. Report on the health of the City of Liverpool during 1903. Liverpool: C. Tinling & Co.; 1904.
- Clark G, Seiter HE, Joe A, Gammie JL, Tait HP, Jack RP. The Edinburgh outbreak of smallpox, 1942. Authority of the Public Health Committee; 1944.
- Reece RJ. Report to the local government on smallpox and smallpox hospitals at Liverpool, 1902–03. London: HMSO.
- Hanna W. Studies in smallpox and vaccination. Rev Med Virol. 1913;2002:201–9.
- Annual report for the health of the city during 1942. Edinburgh: Medical Officer of Health, City and Royal Burgh of Edinburgh Public Health Department; 1942.
- MacGregor A. The outbreak of smallpox in Glasgow 1942. BMJ. 1942;2:627–9.
- Dixon CW. Smallpox. London: J & A Churchill Ltd.; 1962.
- Fyfe GM, Fleming JB. Encephalomyelitis following vaccination in Fife. BMJ. 1943;ii:671–4.
- Rao AR. Smallpox, Bombay. Bombay, India: The Kothari Book Depot; 1972.
- Mack TM. Smallpox in Europe, 1950–71. J Infect Dis. 1972;125:161–9.
- Fenner F, Henderson DA, Arita I, Ježek Z, Ladnyi ID. Smallpox and its eradication. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1988.
- Conybeare ET. Illness attributed to smallpox vaccination during 1951–60. Mon Bull Minist Health Public Health Lab Serv. 1964a;23:126–33.
- Baxby D. Surveillance-containment is key to eradication of smallpox. BMJ. 1995;310:62.
- Thomas DB, Mack TM, Ali A, Muzaffer Khan M. Epidemiology of smallpox in West Pakistan. 3. Outbreak detection and interlocality transmission. Am J Epidemiol. 1972;95:178–89.
- James Britton. Eczema facts & figures–how common is eczema and what are the costs? [cited September 2004]. Available from http://www.dermatology.co.uk/eczema/diagnosisandcauses/article/article.asp?ArticleID=899
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Update: cardiac and other adverse events following civilian smallpox vaccination—United States, 2003. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2003;52:639–42.
- Eichner M. Case isolation and contact tracing can prevent the spread of smallpox. Am J Epidemiol. 2003;158:118–28.
Page created: April 27, 2011
Page updated: April 27, 2011
Page reviewed: April 27, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.