Volume 13, Number 7—July 2007
Norovirus in Captive Lion Cub (Panthera leo)
|Host||Genogroup and genotypes*
|Pig||11, 18, 19|
- Spencer JA. Survey of antibodies to feline viruses in free-ranging lions. S Afr J Wildl Res. 1991;21:59–61.
- Endo Y, Uema M, Miura R, Tsukiyama-Kohara K, Tsujimoto H, Yoneda K, Prevalence of canine distemper virus, feline immunodeficiency virus and feline leukemia virus in captive African lions (Panthera leo) in Japan. J Vet Med Sci. 2004;66:1587–9.
- Kadoi K, Kamata H, Ohba S, Satoh T, Inaba Y. Experimental infection in SPF kittens with a particular calicivirus strain originally isolated from lion. New Microbiol. 1998;21:255–8.
- Packer C, Altizer S, Appel M, Brown E, Martenson J, O’Brien SJ, Viruses of the Serengeti: patterns of infection and mortality in African lions. J Anim Ecol. 1999;68:1161–78. [cited 2007 May 16]. Available from http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/full/10.1046/j.1365-2656.1999.00360.x
- Jiang X, Huang PW, Zhong WM, Farkas T, Cubitt DW, Matson DO. Design and evaluation of a primer pair that detects both Norwalk- and Sapporo-like caliciviruses by RT-PCR. J Virol Methods. 1999;83:145–54.
- Vennema H, de Bruin E, Koopmans M. Rational optimization of generic primers used for Norwalk-like virus detection by reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction. J Clin Virol. 2002;25:233–5.
- Wang QH, Han MG, Cheetham S, Souza M, Funk JA, Saif LJ. Porcine noroviruses related to human noroviruses. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005;11:1874–81.
- Zheng DP, Ando T, Fankhauser RL, Beard RS, Glass RI, Monroe SS. Norovirus classification and proposed strain nomenclature. Virology. 2006;346:312–23.
- Green KY, Chanock RM, Kapikian AZ. Human caliciviruses. In: Howley PM, editor. Fields virology. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2001. p.841–74.
- Kapikian AZ, Wyatt RG, Dolin R, Thornhill TS, Kalica AR, Chanock RM. Visualization by immune electron microscopy of a 27-nm particle associated with acute infectious nonbacterial gastroenteritis. J Virol. 1972;10:1075–81.
- Oliver SL, Dastjerdi AM, Wong S, El-Attar L, Gallimore C, Brown DW, Molecular characterization of bovine enteric caliciviruses: a distinct third genogroup of noroviruses (Norwalk-like viruses) unlikely to be of risk to humans. J Virol. 2003;77:2789–98.
- van der Poel WH, Vinje J, van Der HR, Herrera MI, Vivo A, Koopmans MP. Norwalk-like calicivirus genes in farm animals. Emerg Infect Dis. 2000;6:36–41.
- Karst SM, Wobus CE, Lay M, Davidson J, Virgin HW IV. STAT1-dependent innate immunity to a Norwalk-like virus. Science. 2003;299:1575–8.
- Reuter G, Krisztalovics K, Vennema H, Koopmans M, Szucs G. Evidence of the etiological predominance of norovirus in gastroenteritis outbreaks—emerging new-variant and recombinant noroviruses in Hungary. J Med Virol. 2005;76:598–607.
- Cheetham S, Souza M, Meulia T, Grimes S, Han MG, Saif LJ. Pathogenesis of a genogroup II human norovirus in gnotobiotic pigs. J Virol. 2006;80:10372–81.
Page created: June 21, 2010
Page updated: June 21, 2010
Page reviewed: June 21, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.