Volume 14, Number 4—April 2008
Rat-to-Elephant-to-Human Transmission of Cowpox Virus
- Kurth A, Nitsche A. Fast and reliable diagnostic methods for the detection of human poxvirus infections. Future Virology. 2007;2:467–79.
- Baxby D, Bennett M, Getty B. Human cowpox 1969–93: a review based on 54 cases. Br J Dermatol. 1994;131:598–607.
- Chantrey J, Meyer H, Baxby D, Begon M, Bown KJ, Hazel SM, Cowpox: reservoir hosts and geographic range. Epidemiol Infect. 1999;122:455–60.
- Wolfs TF, Wagenaar JA, Niesters HG, Osterhaus AD. Rat-to-human transmission of cowpox infection. Emerg Infect Dis. 2002;8:1495–6.
- Eis-Hubinger AM, Gerritzen A, Schneweis KE, Pfeiff B, Pullmann H, Mayr A, Fatal cowpox-like virus infection transmitted by cat. Lancet. 1990;336:880.
- Baxby D, Bennett M. Cowpox: a re-evaluation of the risks of human cowpox based on new epidemiological information. Arch Virol Suppl. 1997;13:1–12.
- Martina BE, van Dornum DG, Dorrstein GM, Niesters HG, Stittelaar KJ, Wolters MA, Cowpox virus transmission from rats to monkeys, the Netherlands. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:1005–7.
- Marennikova SS, Ladnyj ID, Ogorodinikova ZI, Shelukhina EM, Maltseva NN. Identification and study of a poxvirus isolated from wild rodents in Turkmenia. Arch Virol. 1978;56:7–14.
- Essbauer S, Meyer H. Genus orthopoxvirus: cowpox virus. In: Mercer AA, Schmidt A, Weber O, editors. Poxviruses. Basel (Switzerland): Birkhäuser, 2007. p.75–88.
- Begon S, Hazel SM, Baxby D, Bown K, Cavanagh R, Chantrey J, Transmission dynamics of a zoonotic pathogen within and between wildlife host species. Proc Biol Sci. 1999;266:1939–45.
Page created: July 13, 2010
Page updated: July 13, 2010
Page reviewed: July 13, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.