Volume 15, Number 1—January 2009
Microsporidiosis and Malnutrition in Children with Persistent Diarrhea, Uganda
- Schmidt W, Schneider T, Heise W, Schulzke JD, Weinke T, Ignatius R, Mucosal abnormalities in microsporidiosis. AIDS. 1997;11:1589–94.
- Kotler DP, Francisco A, Clayton F, Scholes JV, Orenstein JM. Small intestinal injury and parasitic diseases in AIDS. Ann Intern Med. 1990;113:444–9.
- Molina JM, Sarfati C, Beauvais B, Lemann M, Lesourd A, Ferchal F, Intestinal microsporidiosis in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients with chronic unexplained diarrhea: prevalence and clinical and biologic features. J Infect Dis. 1993;167:217–21.
- Lambl BB, Federman M, Pleskow D, Wanke CA. Malabsorption and wasting in AIDS patients with microsporidia and pathogen-negative diarrhea. AIDS. 1996;10:739–44.
- Asmuth DM, DeGirolami PC, Federman M, Ezratty CR, Pleskow DK, Desai G, Clinical features of microsporidiosis in patients with AIDS. Clin Infect Dis. 1994;18:819–25.
- Tumwine JK, Kekitiinwa A, Bakeera-Kitaka S, Ndeezi G, Downing R, Feng X, Cryptosporidiosis and microsporidiosis in Ugandan children with persistent diarrhea with and without concurrent infection with the human immunodeficiency virus. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2005;73:921–5.
- Tumwine JK, Kekitiinwa A, Nabukeera N, Akiyoshi DE, Buckholt MA, Tzipori S. Enterocytozoon bieneusi among children with diarrhea attending Mulago Hospital in Uganda. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2002;67:299–303.
- Leelayoova S, Vithayasai N, Watanaveeradej V, Chotpitayasunondh T, Therapong V, Naaglor T, Intestinal microsporidiosis in HIV-infected children with acute and chronic diarrhea. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2001;32:33–7.
- Wanachiwanawin D, Chokephaibulkit K, Lertlaituan P, Ongrotchanakun J, Chinabut P, Thakerngpol K. Intestinal microsporidiosis in HIV-infected children with diarrhea. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2002;33:241–5.
- Tumwine JK, Kekitiinwa A, Nabukeera N, Akiyoshi DE, Rich SM, Widmer G, Cryptosporidium parvum in children with diarrhea in Mulago Hospital, Kampala, Uganda. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2003;68:710–5.
- Cortinovis I, Vella V, Ndiku N, Milani S. Weight, height and arm circumference of children under 5 in the district of Mbarara, south-west Uganda. Ann Hum Biol. 1997;24:557–68.
- Leelayoova S, Subrungruang I, Rangsin R, Chavalitshewinkoon-Petmitr P, Worapong J, Naaglor T, Transmission of Enterocytozoon bieneusi genotype a in a Thai orphanage. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2005;73:104–7.
- Samie A, Obi CL, Tzipori S, Weiss LM, Guerrant RL. Microsporidiosis in South Africa: PCR detection in stool samples of HIV-positive and HIV-negative individuals and school children in Vhembe district, Limpopo Province. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2007;101:547–54.
- Espern A, Morio F, Miegeville M, Illa H, Abdoulaye M, Meyssonnier V, Molecular study of microsporidiosis due to Enterocytozoon bieneusi and Encephalitozoon intestinalis among human immunodeficiency virus–infected patients from two geographical areas: Niamey, Niger, and Hanoi, Vietnam. J Clin Microbiol. 2007;45:2999–3002.
- McMurray C. Cross-sectional anthropometry: what can it tell us about the health of young children? Health Transit Rev. 1996;6:147–68.
Page created: November 19, 2010
Page updated: November 19, 2010
Page reviewed: November 19, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.