Volume 15, Number 3—March 2009
Helicobacter pylori Infection in Patients Undergoing Upper Endoscopy, Republic of Georgia
|Final pathologic diagnosis||No. Heliobacter pylori positive/no. tested (%), n = 82||No. with acute inflammation/no. tested (%), n = 90||No. with chronic inflammation/no. tested (%), n = 89||No. with intestinal metaplasia/no. tested (%), n = 84||No. with glandular atrophy/no. tested (%), n = 68|
|Gastritis* (n = 62)||45/58 (78)||55/62 (89)||55/62 (89)||19/60 (32)||10/50 (20)|
|Peptic ulcer (n = 14)||7/12 (58)||14/14 (100)||12/13 (92)||5/13 (38)||1/10 (10)|
|Dysplasia or cancer (n = 14)||7/12 (58)||12/14 (86)||10/14 (71)||5/11 (45)||0/8 (0)|
|Total (n = 90)||59/82 (72)||81/90 (90)||77/89 (87)||29/84 (35)||11/68 (16)|
*According to the Updated Sydney Classification System for Gastritis (7).
- Suerbaum S, Michetti P. Helicobacter pylori infections. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:1175–86.
- Lacy BE, Rosemore J. Helicobacter pylori: ulcers and more: the beginning of an era. J Nutr. 2001;131:2789S–93S.
- Makola D, Peura D, Crowe S. Helicobacter pylori infection and related gastrointestinal diseases. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2007;41:548–58.
- Duck WM, Sobel J, Pruckler JM, Song Q, Swerdlow D, Friedman C, Antimicrobial resistance incidence and risk factors among Helicobacter pylori–infected persons, United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:1088–94.
- Kretsinger K, Sobel J, Tarkhashvili N, Chakvetadze N, Moistrafishvili M, Sikharulidze M, Helicobacter pylori, Republic of Georgia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005;11:780–1.
- Olivares A, Buadze M, Kutubidze T, Lobjanidze M, Labauri L, Kutubidze R, Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori in Georgian patients with dyspepsia. Helicobacter. 2006;11:81–5.
- Dixon MF, Genta RM, Yardley JH, Correa P. Classification and grading of gastritis: the updated Sydney system. Am J Surg Pathol. 1996;20:1161–81.
- Muñoz N, Kato I, Peraza S, Lopez G, Carrillo E, Ramirez H, Prevalence of precancerous lesions of the stomach in Venezuela. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 1996;5:41–6.
- Correa P, Haenszel W, Cuello C, Zavala D, Fontham E, Zarama G, Gastric precancerous process in a high risk population: cross-sectional studies. Cancer Res. 1990;50:4731–6.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer. Helicobacter pylori. In: IARC monograph on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans. Vol. 61. Schistosomes, liver flukes and Helicobacter pylori. Lyon (France): International Agency for Research on Cancer; 1994. p. 177–240.
Page created: December 07, 2010
Page updated: December 07, 2010
Page reviewed: December 07, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.