Volume 15, Number 9—September 2009
Susceptibilities of Nonhuman Primates to Chronic Wasting Disease
|Genotype†||No. monkeys||PrP gene variations‡
|Residue 19||No. octapeptide repeats||Residue 164|
*PrP, prion protein; ND, not determined.
†The PrP genes of 23 monkeys were sequenced, and 3 genotypes were found. For easy reference to Tables 1 and 2, they are designated types A, B, and C. Previous squirrel monkey PrP sequences were identified by Schätzl et al. (28) and Schneider et al. (31).
‡Compared with published sequences, PrP genotype variations were seen only at residue 19 (in the signal peptide), residue 164, and in the number of octapeptide repeats.
- Williams ES, Young S. Chronic wasting disease of captive mule deer: a spongiform encephalopathy. J Wildl Dis. 1980;16:89–98.
- Williams ES. Chronic wasting disease. Vet Pathol. 2005;42:530–49.
- Miller MW, Williams ES. Chronic wasting disease of cervids. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2004;284:193–214.
- Hamir AN, Kunkle RA, Cutlip RC, Miller JM, O’Rourke KI, Williams ES, Experimental transmission of chronic wasting disease agent from mule deer to cattle by the intracerebral route. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2005;17:276–81.
- Hamir AN, Kunkle RA, Cutlip RC, Miller JM, Williams ES, Richt JA. Transmission of chronic wasting disease of mule deer to Suffolk sheep following intracerebral inoculation. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2006;18:558–65.
- Sigurdson CJ, Mathiason CK, Perrott MR, Eliason GA, Spraker TR, Glatzel M, Experimental chronic wasting disease (CWD) in the ferret. J Comp Pathol. 2008;138:189–96.
- Bartz JC, Marsh RF, McKenzie DI, Aiken JM. The host range of chronic wasting disease is altered on passage in ferrets. Virology. 1998;251:297–301.
- Harrington RD, Baszler TV, O’Rourke KI, Schneider DA, Spraker TR, Liggitt HD, A species barrier limits transmission of chronic wasting disease to mink (Mustela vison). J Gen Virol. 2008;89:1086–96.
- Raymond GJ, Raymond LD, Meade-White KD, Hughson AG, Favara C, Gardner D, Transmission and adaptation of chronic wasting disease to hamsters and transgenic mice: evidence for strains. J Virol. 2007;81:4305–14.
- Sigurdson CJ, Manco G, Schwarz P, Liberski P, Hoover EA, Hornemann S, Strain fidelity of chronic wasting disease upon murine adaptation. J Virol. 2006;80:12303–11.
- Kong Q, Huang S, Zou W, Vanegas D, Wang M, Wu D, Chronic wasting disease of elk: transmissibility to humans examined by transgenic mouse models. J Neurosci. 2005;25:7944–9.
- Tamguney G, Giles K, Bouzamondo-Bernstein E, Bosque PJ, Miller MW, Safar J, Transmission of elk and deer prions to transgenic mice. J Virol. 2006;80:9104–14.
- Marsh RF, Kincaid AE, Bessen RA, Bartz JC. Interspecies transmission of chronic wasting disease prions to squirrel monkeys (Saimiri sciureus). J Virol. 2005;79:13794–6.
- Brown P, Gibbs CJ Jr, Rodgers-Johnson P, Asher DM, Sulima MP, Bacote A, Human spongiform encephalopathy: the National Institutes of Health series of 300 cases of experimentally transmitted disease. Ann Neurol. 1994;35:513–29.
- Williams L, Brown P, Ironside J, Gibson S, Will R, Ritchie D, Clinical, neuropathologial and immunohistochemical features of sporadic and variant forms of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in the squirrel monkey (Saimiri scuireus). J Gen Virol. 2007;88:688–95.
- Lasmezas CI, Deslys JP, Demaimay R, Adjou KT, Lamoury F, Dormont D, BSE transmission to macaques. Nature. 1996;381:743–4.
- Hayasaka K, Gojobori T, Horai S. Molecular phylogeny and evolution of primate mitochondrial DNA. Mol Biol Evol. 1988;5:626–44.
- Meade-White K, Race B, Trifilo M, Bossers A, Favara C, Lacasse R, Resistance to chronic wasting disease in transgenic mice expressing a naturally occurring allelic variant of deer prion protein. J Virol. 2007;81:4533–9.
- Sigurdson CJ, Williams ES, Miller MW, Spraker TR, O’Rourke KI, Hoover EA. Oral transmission and early lymphoid trophism of chronic wasting disease PrPres in mule deer fawns (Odocoileus hemionus). J Gen Virol. 1999;80:2757–64.
- Raymond GJ, Bossers A, Raymond LD, O’Rourke KI, McHolland LE, Bryant PK III, Evidence of a molecular barrier limiting susceptibility of humans, cattle and sheep to chronic wasting disease. EMBO J. 2000;19:4425–30.
- Scott MR, Kohler R, Foster D, Prusiner SB. Chimeric prion protein expression in cultured cells and transgenic mice. Protein Sci. 1992;1:986–97.
- Race BL, Meade-White KD, Ward A, Jewell J, Miller MW, Williams ES, Levels of abnormal prion protein in deer and elk with chronic wasting disease. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:824–30.
- Kascsak RJ, Rubenstein R, Merz PA, Tonna-DeMasi M, Fersko R, Carp RI, Mouse monoclonal and polyclonal antibody to scrapie-associated fibril proteins. J Virol. 1987;61:3688–93.
- Matsunaga Y, Peretz D, Williamson A, Burton D, Mehlhorn I, Groth D, Cryptic epitopes in N–terminally truncated prion protein are exposed in the full-length molecule: dependence of conformation on pH. Proteins. 2001;44:110–8.
- Vorberg I, Buschmann A, Harmeyer S, Saalmuller A, Pfaff E, Groschup MH. A novel epitope for the specific detection of exogenous prion proteins in transgenic mice and transfected murine cell lines. Virology. 1999;255:26–31.
- Race B, Meade-White K, Oldstone MB, Race R, Chesebro B. Detection of prion infectivity in fat tissues of scrapie-infected mice. PLoS Pathog. 2008;4:e1000232.
- Kercher L, Favara C, Striebel JF, Lacasse R, Chesebro B. Prion protein expression differences in microglia and astroglia influence scrapie-induced neurodegenration in the retina and brain of transgenic mice. J Virol. 2007;81:10340–51.
- Schätzl HM, Da Costa M, Taylor L, Cohen FE, Prusiner SB. Prion protein variation among primates. J Mol Biol. 1995;245:362–74.
- O’Rourke KI, Spraker TR, Hamburg LK, Besser TE, Brayton KA, Knowles DP. Polymorphisms in prion precursor functional gene but not the pseudogene are associated with susceptibility to chronic wasting disease in white-tailed deer. J Gen Virol. 2004;85:1339–46.
- Fox KA, Jewell JE, Williams ES, Miller MW. Patterns of PrPCWD accumulation during the course of chronic wasting disease infection in orally inoculated mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus). J Gen Virol. 2006;87:3451–61.
- Schneider I, Schneider H, Schneider MP, Silva A. The prion protein and New World primate phylogeny. Genet Mol Biol. 2004;27:505–10.
- Gibbs CJ Jr, Gajdusek DC. Experimental subacute spongiform virus encephalopathies in primates and other laboratory animals. Science. 1973;182:67–8.
- Spraker TR, Zink RR, Cummings BA, Wild MA, Miller MW, O’Rourke KI. Comparison of histological lesions and immunohistochemical staining of proteinease-resistant prion protein in a naturally occurring spongiform encephalopathy of free-ranging mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus) with those of chronic wasting disease of captive mule deer. Vet Pathol. 2002;39:110–9.
- Herzog C, Riviere J, Lescoutra-Etchegaray N, Charbonnier A, Leblanc V, Sales N, PrPTSE distribution in a primate model of variant, sporadic, and iatrogenic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. J Virol. 2005;79:14339–45.
- Lasmezas CI, Comoy E, Hawkins S, Herzog C, Mouthon F, Konold T, Risk of oral infection with bovine spongiform encephalopathy agent in primates. Lancet. 2005;365:781–3.
- Belay ED, Maddox RA, Williams ES, Miller MW, Gambetti P, Schonberger LB. Chronic wasting disease and potential transmission to humans. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:977–84.
- Mawhinney S, Pape WJ, Forster JE, Anderson CA, Bosque P, Miller MW. Human prion disease and relative risk associated with chronic wasting disease. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:1527–35.
- Anderson CA, Bosque P, Filley CM, Arciniegas DB, Kleinschmidt-Demasters BK, Pape WJ, Colorado surveillance program for chronic wasting disease transmission to humans: lessons from 2 highly suspicious but negative cases. Arch Neurol. 2007;64:439–41.