Volume 16, Number 2—February 2010
Emergence of Increased Resistance and Extensively Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis Despite Treatment Adherence, South Africa
- Crofton J, Chaulet P, Maher D. Guidelines for the management of drug resistant tuberculosis. 1997 [cited 2008 Mar 1]. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/1997/WHO_TB_96.210_(Rev.1).pdf
- Coker RJ. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: public health challenges. Trop Med Int Health. 2004;9:25–40.
- Weyer K. Survey of tuberculosis drug resistance, 2001–2002, Western Cape. 2001 [cited 2008 Mar 1]. http://www.sahealthinfo.org/tb/tbdrugresistance.htm
- Global WHO-IUTALD. Project on anti-tuberculosis drug resistance surveillance. Anti-tuberculosis drug resistance in the world (Report no. 4). 2008 [cited 2008 Apr 1]. http://www.who.int/tb/publications/2008/drs_report4_26feb08.pdf.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Emergence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with extensive resistance to second-line drugs—worldwide, 2000–2004. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2006;55:301–5.
- Gandhi NR, Moll A, Sturm AW, Pawinski R, Govender T, Lalloo U, Extensively drug resistant tuberculosis as a cause of death in patients co-infected with tuberculosis and HIV in a rural area of South Africa. Lancet. 2006;368:1575–80.
- Van Rie A, Enarson D. XDR tuberculosis: an indicator of public-health negligence. Lancet. 2006;368:1554–6.
- Pillay M, Sturm AW. Evolution of the extensively drug-resistant F15/LAM4/KZN strain of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;45:1409–14.
- Cox HS, Sibilia K, Feuerriegel S, Kalon S, Polonsky J, Khamraev AK, Emergence of extensive drug resistance during treatment for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. N Engl J Med. 2008;359:2398–400.
- Stop TB partnership. Stop TB working group on DOTS-Plus for MDR-TB. 2006 [cited 2008 Mar 1]. http://www.stoptb.org/wg/dots_plus
- Mlambo CK, Warren RM, Poswa X, Victor TC, Duse AG, Marais E. Genotypic diversity of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB) in South Africa. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2008;12:99–104.
- Louw GE, Warren RM, Donald PR, Murray MB, Bosman M, van Helden PD, Frequency and implications of pyrazinamide resistance in managing previously treated tuberculosis patients. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2006;10:802–7.
- van Embden JD, Cave MD, Crawford JT, Dale JW, Eisenach KD, Gicquel B, Strain identification of Mycobacterium tuberculosis by DNA fingerprinting: recommendations for a standardized methodology. J Clin Microbiol. 1993;31:406–9.
- Kamerbeek J, Schouls L, Kolk A, van Agterveld M, van Soolingen D, Kuijper S, Simultaneous detection and strain differentiation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis for diagnosis and epidemiology. J Clin Microbiol. 1997;35:907–14.
- Supply P, Lesjean S, Savine E, Kremer K, van Soolingen D, Locht C. Automated high-throughput genotyping for study of global epidemiology of Mycobacterium tuberculosis based on mycobacterial interspersed repetitive units. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:3563–71.
- Johnson R, Streicher EM, Louw GE, Warren RM, van Helden PD, Victor TC. Drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Curr Issues Mol Biol. 2006;8:97–111.
- van Rie A, Warren R, Richardson M, Gie RP, Enarson DA, Beyers N, Classification of drug-resistant tuberculosis in an epidemic area. Lancet. 2000;356:22–5.
- Swofford DL. PAUP: Phylogenetic analysis using parsimony. Champaign (IL): Illinois Natural History Survey; 1991.
- Small PM, Hopewell PC, Singh SP, Paz A, Parsonnet J, Ruston DC, The epidemiology of tuberculosis in San Francisco. A population-based study using conventional and molecular methods. N Engl J Med. 1994;330:1703–9.
- Cole ST, Brosch R, Parkhill J, Garnier T, Churcher C, Harris D, Deciphering the biology of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from the complete genome sequence. Nature. 1998;393:537–44.
- van Rie A, Warren RM, Beyers N, Gie RP, Classen CN, Richardson M, Transmission of a multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strain resembling “strain W” among noninstitutionalized, human immunodeficiency virus-seronegative patients. J Infect Dis. 1999;180:1608–15.
- Victor TC, Streicher EM, Kewley C, Jordaan AM, van der Spuy GD, Bosman M, Spread of an emerging Mycobacterium tuberculosis drug-resistant strain in the western Cape of South Africa. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2007;11:195–201.
- Li X, Zhang Y, Shen X, Shen G, Gui X, Sun B, Transmission of drug-resistant tuberculosis among treated patients in Shanghai, China. J Infect Dis. 2007;195:864–9.
- Verver S, Warren RM, Beyers N, Richardson M, van der Spuy GD, Borgdorff MW, Rate of reinfection tuberculosis after successful treatment is higher than rate of new tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005;171:1430–5.
- Whalen C, Horsburgh CR, Hom D, Lahart C, Simberkoff M, Ellner J. Accelerated course of human immunodeficiency virus after tuberculosis infection. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1995;151:129–35.
- Getahun H, Harrington M, O’Brien R, Nunn P. Diagnosis of smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis in people with HIV infection or AIDS in resource-constrained settings: informing urgent policy changes. Lancet. 2007;369:2042–9.
- van Helden PD, Donald PR, Victor TC, Schaaf HS, Hoal EG, Walzl G, Antimicrobial resistance in tuberculosis: an international perspective. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2006;4:759–66.
- Seung KJ, Gelmanova IE, Peremitin GG, Golubchikova VT, Pavlova VE, Sirotkina OB, The effect of initial drug resistance on treatment response and acquired drug resistance during standardized short-course chemotherapy for tuberculosis. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;39:1321–8.
- Johnson R, Jordaan AM, Pretorius L, Engelke E, van der Spuy G, Kewley C, Ethambutol resistance testing by mutation detection. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2006;10:68–73.
- Cox HS, Niemann S, Ismailov G, Doshetov D, Orozco JD, Blok L, Risk of acquired drug resistance during short-course directly observed treatment of tuberculosis in an area with high levels of drug resistance. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44:1421–7.
- Mphahlele M, Syre H, Valvatne H, Stavrum R, Mannsaker T, Muthivhi T, Pyrazinamide resistance among South African multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates. J Clin Microbiol. 2008;46:3459–64.
- Temple B, Ayakaka I, Ogwang S, Nabanjja H, Kayes S, Nakubulwa S, Rate and amplification of drug resistance among previously-treated patients with tuberculosis in Kampala, Uganda. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;47:1126–34.
- World Health Oganization. Guidelines for the programmatic management of drug-resistant tuberculosis. Rich M, Cegielski P, Jaramillo E, Lambregts K, editors. 2006 [cited 2008 Mar 1]. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2006/9241546956_eng.pdf
- Barnard M, Albert H, Coetzee G, O'Brien R, Bosman ME. Rapid molecular screening for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in a high-volume public health laboratory in South Africa. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008;177:787–92.
Page created: December 13, 2010
Page updated: December 13, 2010
Page reviewed: December 13, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.