Volume 16, Number 5—May 2010
Vitamin D Deficiency and Tuberculosis Progression
- Rook GA. The role of vitamin D in tuberculosis. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1988;138:768–70.
- Davies PD, Brown RC, Woodhead JS. Serum concentrations of vitamin D metabolites in untreated tuberculosis. Thorax. 1985;40:187–90.
- Nnoaham KE, Clarke A. Low serum vitamin D levels and tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Epidemiol. 2008;37:113–9.
- Martineau AR, Wilkinson KA, Newton SM, Floto RA, Norman AW, Skolimowska K, IFN-gamma- and TNF-independent vitamin D-inducible human suppression of mycobacteria: the role of cathelicidin LL-37. J Immunol. 2007;178:7190–8.
- Ralph AP, Kelly PM, Anstey NM. L-arginine and vitamin D: novel adjunctive immunotherapies in tuberculosis. Trends Microbiol. 2008;16:336–44.
- Crowle AJ, Ross EJ, May MH. Inhibition by 1,25(OH)2-vitamin D3 of the multiplication of virulent tubercle bacilli in cultured human macrophages. Infect Immun. 1987;55:2945–50.
- Hussain R, Talat N, Shahid F, Dawood G. Longitudinal tracking of cytokines after acute exposure to tuberculosis: association of distinct cytokine patterns with protection and disease development. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2007;14:1578–86.
- Zuberi LM, Habib A, Haque N, Jabbar A. Vitamin D deficiency in ambulatory patients. J Pak Med Assoc. 2008;58:482–4.
- Gibney KB, MacGregor L, Leder K, Torresi J, Marshall C, Ebeling PR, Vitamin D deficiency is associated with tuberculosis and latent tuberculosis infection in immigrants from sub-Saharan Africa. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;46:443–6.
- Masood SH, Iqbal MP. Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in South Asia. Pak J Med Sci. 2008;24:891–7.
- Khan AH, Iqbal R. Vitamin D deficiency in an ample sunlight country. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2009;19:267–8.
- Holick MF. Vitamin D deficiency. N Engl J Med. 2007;357:266–81.
- Liu PT, Stenger S, Li H, Wenzel L, Tan BH, Krutzik SR, Toll-like receptor triggering of a vitamin D–mediated human antimicrobial response. Science. 2006;311:1770–3.
- Martineau AR, Honecker FU, Wilkinson RJ, Griffiths CJ. Vitamin D in the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;103:793–8.
- Wejse C, Gomes VF, Rabna P, Gustafson P, Aaby P, Lisse IM, Vitamin D as supplementary treatment for tuberculosis: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009;179:843–50.
Page created: December 23, 2010
Page updated: December 23, 2010
Page reviewed: December 23, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.