Volume 16, Number 6—June 2010
Original Antigenic Sin and Pandemic (H1N1) 2009
|Age cohort, y||Influenza strain|
|4–10 (born 1946–1952)||A′|
|17–28 (born 1928–1939)||A|
|>30 (born <1926)||Swine|
*Adapted from (3).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Update: novel influenza A (H1N1) virus infections—worldwide, May 6, 2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2009;58:453–8.
- Francis T. On the doctrine of original antigenic sin. Proc Am Philos Soc. 1960;104:572–8.
- Davenport FM, Hennessy AV. A serologic recapitulation of past experiences with influenza A; antibody response to monovalent vaccine. J Exp Med. 1956;104:85–97.
- Fazekas de St Groth B, Webster RG. Disquisitions on original antigenic sin. II. Proof in lower creatures. J Exp Med. 1966;121:347–61.
- Fazekas de St Groth B, Webster RG. Disquisitions on original antigenic sin. I. Evidence in man. J Exp Med. 1966;121:331–45.
- Webster RG, Kasel JA, Couch RB, Laver WG. Influenza virus subunit vaccines. II. Immunogenicity and original antigenic sin in humans. J Infect Dis. 1976;134:48–58.
- Yarchoan R, Nelson DL. Specificity of in vitro anti-influenza virus antibody production by human lymphocytes: analysis of original antigenic sin by limiting dilution cultures. J Immunol. 1984;132:928–35.
- Powers DC, Belshe RB. Vaccine-induced antibodies to heterologous influenza A H1N1 viruses: effects of again and “original antigenic sin.”. J Infect Dis. 1994;169:1125–9.
- Kim JH, Skountzou I, Compans R, Jacob J. Original antigenic sin responses to influenza viruses. J Immunol. 2009;183:3294–301.
- Wrammert J, Smith K, Miller J. Rapid cloning of high-affinity human monoclonal antibodies against influenza virus. Nature. 2008;453:667–72.
Page created: February 10, 2011
Page updated: February 10, 2011
Page reviewed: February 10, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.