Volume 16, Number 6—June 2010
Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus–related Gammaretrovirus in Respiratory Tract
- Urisman A, Molinaro RJ, Fischer N, Plummer SJ, Casey G, Klein EA, Identification of a novel gammaretrovirus in prostate tumors of patients homozygous for R462Q RNASEL variant. PLoS Pathog. 2006;2:e25.
- Fischer N, Hellwinkel O, Schulz C, Chun FK, Huland H, Aepfelbacher M, Prevalence of human gammaretrovirus XMRV in sporadic prostate cancer. J Clin Virol. 2008;43:277–83.
- Hohn O, Krause H, Barbarotto P, Niederstadt L, Beimforde N, Denner J, Lack of evidence for xenotropic murine leukemia virus–related virus (XMRV) in German prostate cancer patients. Retrovirology. 2009;6:92.
- Stieler KSC, Lavanya M, Aepfelbacher M, Stocking C, Fischer N. Host range and cellular tropism of the human exogenous gammaretrovirus XMRV. Virology. 2010;399:23–30.
- Lombardi VC, Ruscetti FW, Das Gupta J, Pfost MA, Hagen KS, Peterson DL, Detection of an infectious retrovirus, XMRV, in blood cells of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Science. 2009;326:530–1.
- Erlwein O, Kaye S, McClure MO, Weber J, Wills G, Collier D, Failure to detect the novel retrovirus XMRV in chronic fatigue syndrome. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e8519.
- Groom HC, Boucherit VC, Makinson K, Randal E, Baptista S, Hagan S, Absence of xenotropic murine leukaemia virus–related virus in UK patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Retrovirology. 2010;7:10.
- van Kuppeveld FJ, de Jong AS, Lanke KH, Verhaegh GW, Melchers WJ, Swanink CM, Prevalence of xenotropic murine leukaemia virus–related virus in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome in the Netherlands: retrospective analysis of samples from an established cohort. BMJ. 2010;340:c1018.
- Hong S, Klein EA, Das Gupta J, Hanke K, Weight CJ, Nguyen C, Fibrils of prostatic acid phosphatase fragments boost infections with XMRV (xenotropic murine leukemia virus–related virus), a human retrovirus associated with prostate cancer. J Virol. 2009;83:6995–7003.
- Schlaberg R, Choe D, Brown KR, Thaker HM, Singh IR. XMRV is present in malignant prostatic epithelium and is associated with prostate cancer, especially high-grade tumors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:16351–6.
- Luna LK, Panning M, Grywna K, Pfefferle S, Drosten C. Spectrum of viruses and atypical bacteria in intercontinental air travelers with symptoms of acute respiratory infection. J Infect Dis. 2007;195:675–9.
- Dong B, Kim S, Hong S, Das Gupta J, Malathi K, Klein EA, An infectious retrovirus susceptible to an IFN antiviral pathway from human prostate tumors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:1655–60.
- Jeanmougin F, Thompson JD, Gouy M, Higgins DG, Gibson TJ. Multiple sequence alignment with Clustal X. Trends Biochem Sci. 1998;23:403–5.
- Thompson JD, Gibson TJ, Plewniak F, Jeanmougin F, Higgins DG. The CLUSTAL_X windows interface: flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools. Nucleic Acids Res. 1997;25:4876–82.
- Wood KL, Chaiyarit P, Day RB, Wang Y, Schnizlein-Bick CT, Gregory RL, Measurements of HIV viral loads from different levels of the respiratory tract. Chest. 2003;124:536–42.
Page created: February 11, 2011
Page updated: February 11, 2011
Page reviewed: February 11, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.