Volume 16, Number 9—September 2010
Influenza in Refugees on the Thailand–Myanmar Border, May–October 2009
|Condition (age, y)||Strict case definition (up to 2009 Jul 27)||Expanded case definition (from 2009 Jul 28)|
|Influenza-like illness||Fever >38°C AND cough or sore throat AND does not meet criteria for pneumonia||Fever >38°C (or history of fever) AND cough or sore throat AND does not meet criteria for pneumonia|
|Pneumonia (<5)||Pneumonia: cough or difficulty breathing AND increased respiratory rate (as defined by the WHO IMCI )||No change|
|Severe pneumonia: cough or difficulty breathing AND >1 of: lower chest wall in-drawing, nasal flaring, grunting|
|Pneumonia (>5)||Fever >38°C AND cough or difficulty breathing AND abnormal chest examination||Fever >38°C (or history of fever) AND cough or difficulty breathing AND abnormal chest examination|
*WHO, World Health Organization; IMCI, Integrated Management of Childhood Illness.
- Dawood FS, Jain S, Finelli L, Shaw MW, Lindstrom S, Garten RJ, Emergence of a novel swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) virus in humans. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:2605–15.
- World Health Organization. World now at the start of 2009 influenza pandemic 2009 [cited 2009 Oct 22]. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2009/h1n1_pandemic_phase6_20090611/en/index.html
- World Health Organization. Pandemic (H1N1) 2009—update 72. 2009 [cited 2009 Nov 1]. http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_10_30/en/index.html
- Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) Thailand. Influenza A. (H1N1). 2009 [cited 2009 Oct 22]. http://188.8.131.52/Flu/situation/y52/flu_200910141359.pdf
- World Health Organization. South East Asia Regional Office (SEARO). Pandemic H1N1 2009—Myanmar [cited 2010 Apr 15]. http://www.searo.who.int/EN/Section10/Section2562_15102.htm
- Kumar A, Zarychanski R, Pinto R, Cook DJ, Marshall J, Lacroix J, Critically ill patients with 2009 influenza A (H1N1) infection in Canada. JAMA. 2009;302:1872–9.
- Viboud C, Alonso WJ, Simonsen L. Influenza in tropical regions. PLoS Med. 2006;3:e89.
- Turner P, Watthanaworawit W, Carrara V, Nosten F. One year of acute respiratory infection surveillance in migrant and refugee populations on the Thai–Burmese border. XI International Symposium on Respiratory Viral Infections. Bangkok, Thailand; 2009 Feb 19–22.
- Ahmed J, Bunei M, Kahi V, Pruess F, Njenga K, Muthoka P, Establishing influenza surveillance in two refugee camps in Kenya, 2006–2008. XI International Symposium on Respiratory Viral Infections. Bangkok, Thailand; 2009 Feb 19–22.
- Simmerman JM, Uyeki TM. The burden of influenza in East and South-East Asia: a review of the English language literature. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2008;2:81–92.
- Simmerman JM, Thawatsupha P, Kingnate D, Fukuda K, Chaising A, Dowell SF. Influenza in Thailand: a case study for middle income countries. Vaccine. 2004;23:182–7.
- Dapat C, Saito R, Kyaw Y, Naito M, Hasegawa G, Suzuki Y, Epidemiology of human influenza A and B viruses in Myanmar from 2005 to 2007. Intervirology. 2009;52:310–20.
- Hasegawa G, Kyaw Y, Danjuan L, Saito R, Suzuki H, Cho TM, Influenza virus infections in Yangon, Myanmar. J Clin Virol. 2006;37:233–4.
- Hasegawa G, Kyaw Y, New HM, Danjuan L, Saito R, Suzuki H, Epidemiological study of influenza virus infections in Yangon, Myanmar. Trop Med Health. 2006;34:3–6.
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). 2008 global trends: refugees, asylum-seekers, returnees, internally displaced and stateless persons. 2009 [cited 2009 Oct 22]. http://www.unhcr.org/4c11f0be9.html
- Ezard N, Gupta RK. Influenza pandemic plans: what about displaced populations? Lancet Infect Dis. 2006;6:256–7.
- Truman BI, Tinker T, Vaughan E, Kapella BK, Brenden M, Woznica CV, Pandemic influenza preparedness and response among immigrants and refugees. Am J Public Health. 2009;99(Suppl 2):S278–86.
- Committee for Coordination of Services for Displaced Persons in Thailand (CCSDPT). Burmese border refugee sites with population figures: February 2008. 2009 [cited 2009 Oct 22]. http://www.ccsdpt.org/download/border_map&populations.pdf
- World Health Organization. Integrated management of childhood illness handbook. 1st ed. Geneva: The Organization; 2005.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC protocol of realtime RT-PCR for influenza A (H1N1) 2009 [cited 2009 Oct 22]. http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/swineflu/realtimeptpcr/en/index.html
- Maertzdorf J, Wang CK, Brown JB, Quinto JD, Chu M, de Graaf M, Real-time reverse transcriptase PCR assay for detection of human metapneumoviruses from all known genetic lineages. J Clin Microbiol. 2004;42:981–6.
- Emery SL, Erdman DD, Bowen MD, Newton BR, Winchell JM, Meyer RF, Real-time reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction assay for SARS-associated coronavirus. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:311–6.
- Pan American Health Organization. Epidemiological calendar 2000. Epidemiol Bull. 1999;20:13.
- Brooks WA, Goswami D, Rahman M, Nahar K, Fry AM, Balish A, Influenza is a major contributor to childhood pneumonia in a tropical developing country. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2010;29:216–21.
- Thursky K, Cordova SP, Smith D, Kelly H. Working towards a simple case definition for influenza surveillance. J Clin Virol. 2003;27:170–9.
- Boivin G, Hardy I, Tellier G, Maziade J. Predicting influenza infections during epidemics with use of a clinical case definition. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;31:1166–9.
- Simmerman JM, Chittaganpitch M, Levy J, Chantra S, Maloney S, Uyeki T, Incidence, seasonality and mortality associated with influenza pneumonia in Thailand: 2005–2008. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7776.
- Monto AS. The risk of seasonal and pandemic influenza: prospects for control. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;48(Suppl 1):S20–5.
- World Health Organization. Pandemic influenza preparedness and mitigation in refugee and displaced populations. WHO guidelines for humanitarian agencies 2009 [cited 2009 Oct 23]. http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/swineflu/pandemic_preparedness_refugee/en/index.html