Volume 17, Number 9—September 2011
Ciprofloxacin-Resistant Shigella sonnei among Men Who Have Sex with Men, Canada, 2010
|Antimicrobial agent||No. isolates tested||MIC||Interpretation|
|Nalidixic acid||8||6 mm†||R|
- DuPont HL. Shigella species (Bacillary dysentery). In: Mandell GL, Bennett JE, Dolin R, editors. Principles and practice of infectious diseases, 7th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Churchill Livingston; 2010. p. 2905–10.
- Pazhani GP, Niyogi SK, Singh AK, Sen B, Taneja N, Kundu M, Molecular characterization of multidrug-resistant Shigella species isolated from epidemic and endemic cases of shigellosis in India. J Med Microbiol. 2008;57:856–63.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Shigella sonnei outbreak among men who have sex with men—San Francisco, California, 2000–2001. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2001;50:922–6.
- Morgan O, Crook P, Cheasty T, Jiggle B, Giradon I, Hughes H, Shigella sonnei outbreak among homosexual men, London. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:1458–60.
- Gaudreau C, Bruneau A, Ismaïl J. Outbreak of Shigella flexneri and Shigella sonnei enterocolitis in men who have sex with men, Québec, 1999 to 2001. Can Commun Dis Rep. 2005;31:85–90.
- Direction de santé publique, Agence de la santé et des services sociaux de Montréal. Sexual transmission of shigellosis[update 2010 Aug 9] [cited 2011 Mar 9]. http://www.santepub-mtl.qc.ca/its/shigellose/indexenglish.html
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Antimicrobial susceptibility testing: twentieth informational supplement; no. M100–S20 Vol. 30 No. 1. Wayne (PA): The Institute; 2010.
- Ribot EM, Fair MA, Gautom R, Cameron DN, Hunter SB, Swaminathan B, Standardization of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocols for the subtyping of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella and Shigella for PulseNet. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2006;3:59–67.
- Tenover FC, Arbeit RD, Goering RV, Mickelsen PA, Murray BE, Persing DH, Interpreting chromosomal DNA restriction patterns produced by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis: criteria for bacterial strain typing. J Clin Microbiol. 1995;33:2233–9.
- Hunter SB, Vauterin P, Lambert-Fair MA, Van Duyne MS, Kubota K, Graves L, Establishment of a universal size standard strain for use with the PulseNet standardized pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocols: converting the national databases to the new size standard. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:1045–50.
- Chu YW, Cheung TK, Wong CH, Tsang GK, Lee K, Lau SS, Quinolone resistance and correlation to other antimicrobial resistances in faecal isolates of Escherichia coli in Hong Kong. Chemotherapy. 2008;54:274–8.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2010. National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System—enteric bacteria (NARMS) 2009 annual report [cited 2011 Jun 29]. http://www.cdc.gov/narms/pdf/NARMSAnnualReport2009_508.pdf
- Martin LJ, Flint J, Ravel A, Dutil L, Doré K, Louie M, Antimicrobial resistance among Salmonella and Shigella isolates in five Canadian provinces (1997 to 2000). Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol. 2006;17:243–50.
- Wong MR, Reddy V, Hanson H, Johnson KM, Tsoi B, Cokes C, Antimicrobial resistance trends of Shigella serotypes in New York City, 2006–2009. Microb Drug Resist. 2010;16:155–61.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Emergence of Shigella flexneri 2a resistant to ceftriaxone and ciprofloxacin—South Carolina, October 2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010;59:1619.
Page created: September 06, 2011
Page updated: September 06, 2011
Page reviewed: September 06, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.