Volume 18, Number 1—January 2012
Daily Newspaper View of Dengue Fever Epidemic, Athens, Greece, 1927–1931
|Date of report||No. cases
|3,000–75,000||Mentioned in articles in 1928|
|Aug 29||433,000||649,000||Indicated as 75% of population|
|Aug 30||461,000||693,000||Indicated as 80% of population|
|959,884||Government statistics cited by Mavrogordatos (8)|
*Blank cells indicate no information.
†Includes the neighboring city of Piraeus (population ≈250,000) and the remaining suburban area that had a small population in the 1920s.
- Theiler M, Casals J, Moutousses C. Etiology of the 1927–28 epidemic of dengue in Greece. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1960;103:244–6.
- Papaevangelou G, Halstead SB. Infections with two dengue viruses in Greece in the 20th century. Did dengue hemorrhagic fever occur in the 1928 epidemic? J Trop Med Hyg. 1977;80:46–51.
- Halstead SB, Papaevangelou G. Transmission of dengue 1 and 2 viruses in Greece in 1928. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1980;29:635–7.
- Chastel C. Lessons from the Greek dengue epidemic of 1927–1928 [in French]. Bull Acad Natl Med. 2009;93:485–93.
- Paupy C, Delatte H, Bagny L, Corbel V, Fontenille D. Aedes albopictus, an arbovirus vector: from the darkness to the light. Microbes Infect. 2009;11:1177–85.
- Mears EB. Greece today: the aftermath of the refugee impact. Palo Alto (CA): Stanford University Press; 1929.
- Resultats statistiques du recensement de la population de la Grece du 15–16 Mai 1928. Athens: Ministry of National Economy. General Statistical Service of Greece 1933.
- Mavrogordatos GT. Stillborn republic: social coalitions and party strategies in Greece, 1922–1936. Berkeley (CA): The University of California Press; 1983.
- Kathimerini [cited 2011 Nov 1]. http://ww3.kathimerini.gr/istoriko
- Cardamatis JP. La dengue en Grece. Bull Soc Pathol Exot. 1929;22:272–92.
- Rosen L. Dengue in Greece in 1927 and 1928 and the pathogens of dengue hemorrhagic fever: new data and a different conclusion. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1986;35:642–53.
- Curtin TJ. Status of Aedes aegypti in the eastern Mediterranean. J Med Entomol. 1967;4:48–50.
- Samanidou-Voyadjoglou A, Darsie RF Jr. An annotated checklist and bibliography of the mosquitoes of Greece (Diptera: Culicidae). Mosquito Systematics. 1993;25:175–85.
- Livadas GA. Malaria eradication in Greece. Riv Malariol. 1958;37:173–91.
- Patsoula E, Samanidou-Voyadjoglou A, Spanakos G, Kremastinou J, Nasioulas G, Vakalis NC. Molecular and morphological characterization of Aedes albopictus in northwestern Greece and differentiation from Aedes cretinus and Aedes aegypti. J Med Entomol. 2006;43:40–54.
- Angelini P, Macini P, Finarelli AC, Pol C, Venturelli C, Bellini R, Chikungunya epidemic outbreak in Emilia-Romagna (Italy) during summer 2007. Parassitologia. 2008;50:97–8.
- Wichmann O, Jelinek T. Dengue in travellers: a review. J Travel Med. 2004;11:161–70.
- Wichmann O, Gascon J, Schunk M, Puente S, Siikamaki H. Severe dengue virus infection in travelers: risk factors and laboratory indicators. J Infect Dis. 2007;195:1089–96.
- Panning M, Grywna K, van Esbroeck M, Emmerich P, Drosten C. Chikungunya fever in travelers returning to Europe from the Indian Ocean region, 2006. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:416–22.
Page created: December 19, 2011
Page updated: December 19, 2011
Page reviewed: December 19, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.