Volume 18, Number 9—September 2012
Entamoeba bangladeshi nov. sp., Bangladesh
|Target organism||Primer name||Primer sequence, 5′ → 3′||Reference|
|Broad specificity Entamoeba sp.||Entagen-F||ACT TCA GGG GGA GTA TGG TCA C||(7)|
|Entagen-R||CAA GAT GTC TAA GGG CAT CAC AG||(7)|
|E. histolytica||Eh-F||AAC AGT AAT AGT TTC TTT GGT TAG TAA AA||(9)|
|Eh-R||CTT AGA ATG TCA TTT CTC AAT TCA T||(9)|
|Eh-YYT Probe||YYT-ATT AGT ACA AAA TGG CCA ATT CAT TCA-Dark Quencher||(9)|
|E. moshkovskii||Em-1||CTC TTC ACG GGG AGT GCG||(8)|
|Em-2||TCG TTA GTT TCA TTA CCT||(8)|
|nEm-1||GAA TAA GGA TGG TAT GAC||(8)|
|nEm-2||AAG TGG AGT TAA CCA CCT||(8)|
|E. dispar||E-1||TTT GTA TTA GTA CAA A||(10)|
|E-2||GTA [A/G]TA TTG ATA TAC T||(10)|
|Ed-1||AGT GGC CAA TTT ATG TAA GT||(10)|
|Ed-2||TTT AGA AAC AAT GTT TCT TC||(10)|
*Boldface indicates the probe fluorophore and quencher.
- Mondal D, Haque R, Sack RB, Kirkpatrick BD, Petri WA Jr. Attribution of malnutrition to cause-specific diarrheal illness: evidence from a prospective study of preschool children in Mirpur, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009;80:824–6.
- Shimokawa C, Kabir M, Taniuchi M, Mondal M, Kobayashi S, Ali IK, Entamoeba moshkovskii is associated with diarrhea in infants and causes diarrhea and colitis in mice. J Infect Dis. 2012 Jun 21; [Epub ahead of print].
- Haque R, Mondal D, Karim A, Molla IH, Rahim A, Faruque ASG, Prospective case-control study of the association between common enteric protozoal parasites and diarrhea in Bangladesh. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;48:1191–7.
- Petri WA Jr, Haque R. Entamoeba species, including Amebiasis. In: Mandell GL, JE Bennett, R Dolin, eds. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's principles and practice of infectious diseases, 7th ed. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone; 2010. p. 3411–25.
- Ali IKM, Zaki M, Clark CG. Use of PCR amplification of tRNA gene-linked short tandem repeats for genotyping Entamoeba histolytica. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:5842–7.
- Stensvold CR, Lebbad M, Victory EL, Verweij JJ, Tannich E, Alfellani M, Increased sampling reveals novel lineages of Entamoeba: consequences of genetic diversity and host specificity for taxonomy and molecular detection. Protist. 2011;162:525–41.
- Ali IKM, Hossain MB, Roy S, Ayeh-Kumi PF, Petri WA, Haque R, Entamoeba moshkovskii infections in children, Bangladesh. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003;9:580–4.
- Haque R, Kabir M, Noor Z, Rahman SMM, Mondal D, Alam F, Diagnosis of amebic liver abscess and amebic colitis by detection of Entamoeba histolytica DNA in blood, urine, and saliva by a real-time PCR assay. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:2798–801.
- Haque R, Ali IK, Akther S, Petri WA Jr. Comparison of PCR, isoenzyme analysis, and antigen detection for diagnosis of Entamoeba histolytica infection. J Clin Microbiol. 1998;36:449–52.
- Haque R, Faruque AS, Hahn P, Lyerly DM, Petri WA. Entamoeba histolytica and Entamoeba dispar infection in children in Bangladesh. J Infect Dis. 1997;175:734–6.
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: August 10, 2012
Page updated: August 10, 2012
Page reviewed: August 10, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.