Volume 2, Number 3—July 1996
DNA Vaccines for Emerging Infectious Diseases: What If?
|Bovine herpesvirus||Glycoprotein||Cattle, | mouse||(7)|
|Hepatitis B virus||Capsid (core antigen)||Mouse||(48)|
|Hepatitis B virus||Envelope protein (surface antigen)||Mouse Rabbit Rat Chimpanzee *||(3, 8-14, 53)|
|Hepatitis C virus||Core/Nucleocapsid||Mouse||(12, 15)|
|Herpes simplex virus||Glycoprotein B Glycoprotein D ICP27||Mouse | *||(16-18)|
|Human immuno deficiency virus-1||Envelope glycoprotein gp160 Noninfectious particles||Mouse Nonhuman primates||(19-22)|
|House dust mite||Allergen||Rat *||(52)|
|Influenza virus||Hemagglutinin Matrix protein Nucleoprotein||Chicken * Ferrets * Mouse * Nonhuman primates *||(23-29)|
|Leishmania major||Major surface glycoprotein||Mouse *||(50)|
|Lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus||Glycoprotein Nucleoprotein||Mouse | *@||(30-32)|
|Mycobacterium tuberculosis||M. leprae hsp65||Mouse |||(33)|
|Mycoplasma pulmonis||M. pulmonis DNA M. pulmonis DNA expression library||Mouse *||(34,35)|
|Papillomavirus||Major capsid protein L1||Rabbit *||(51)|
|Plasmodium yoelii||Circumsporozoite protein||Mouse |||(36-38)|
|Rabies virus||Glycoprotein||Mouse *||(39-41)|
|Simian immunodeficiency virus||Env, gag||Monkeys||(49)|
|Schistosoma japonicum||Paramyosin (Sj97)||Mouse||(42)|
The symbols | and * refer to reports of partial or complete protection, respectively, to challenge by the infectious agent. In one case, enhanced immunopathology ( @ ) after intracranial viral challenge has been reported. (32).
Updated versions of this table can be found on The DNA Vaccine Web site (URL: http://www.genweb.com/Dnavax/Announce/table.html) where links are provided to the PubMed abstracts of most references. See also a compendium of recent articles on DNA vaccines in a special issue of the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Volume 772 (New York Academy of Sciences Conference: "DNA Vaccines: A Novel Approach to Vaccination," Arlington, VA, April 7-9, 1995). The PubMed abstracts of the articles in this issue can be found on The DNA Vaccine Web.
- Culliton BJ. The greatest threat of all. Nat Med. 1995;1:1221.
- Moran N. World Health Organization plans rapid deployment. Nat Med. 1995;1:1234.
- Whalen RG, Davis HL. DNA-mediated immunization and the energetic immune response to hepatitis B surface antigen. Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1995;75:1–12.
- Wolff JA, Malone RW, Williams P, Chong W, Acsadi G, Jani A, . Direct gene transfer into mouse muscle in vivo. Science. 1990;247:1465–8.
- Fynan EF, Webster RG, Fuller D, . DNA vaccines: protective immunizations by parental, mucosal, and genegun inoculations. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:11478–82.
- Muraskin W. The war against hepatitis B: a history of the international task force on hepatitis B immunization. Philadelphia; University of Pennsylvania Press,1995.
- Cox GJ, Zamb TJ, Babiuk LA. Bovine herpesvirus 1: immune responses in mice and cattle injected with plasmid DNA. J Virol. 1993;67:5664–7.
- Davis HL, Michel M-L, Whalen RG. DNA-based immunization for hepatitis B induces continuous secretion of antigen and high levels of circulating antibody. Hum Mol Genet. 1993;2:1847–51.
- Davis HL, Michel M-L, Mancini M, Schleef M, Whalen RG. Direct gene transfer in skeletal muscle: plasmid DNA-based immunization against the hepatitis B virus surface antigen. Vaccine. 1994;12:1503–9.
- Davis HL, Schirmbeck R, Reimann J, Whalen RG. DNA-mediated immunization in mice induces a potent MHC class I-restricted cytotoxic T lymphocyte response to hepatitis B surface antigen. Hum Gene Ther. 1995;6:1447–56.
- Major ME, Vitvitski L, Mink MA, Schleef M, Whalen RG, Trepo C, et al. DNA-based immunization with chimeric vectors for the induction of immune responses against the hepatitis C virus nucleocapsid. J Virol. 1995;69:5798–805.
- Michel M-L, Davis HL, Schleef M, Mancini M, Tiollais P, Whalen RG. DNA-mediated immunization to the hepatitis B surface antigen in mice: aspects of the humoral response mimic hepatitis B viral infection in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:5307–11.
- Schirmbeck R, Bohm W, Ando K, Chisari FV, Reimann J. Nucleic acid vaccination primes hepatitis B virus surface antigen-specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes in nonresponder mice. J Virol. 1995;69:5929–34.
- Davis HL, Mancini M, Michel M-L, Whalen RG. DNA-mediated immunization to hepatitis B surface antigen: longevity of primary response and effect of boost. Vaccine. 1996. In press.
- Lagging LM, Meyer K, Hoft D, Houghton M, Belshe RB, Ray R. Immune responses to plasmid DNA encoding the hepatitis C virus core protein. J Virol. 1995;69:5859–63.
- Rouse RJ, Nair SK, Lydy SL, Bowen JC, Rouse BT. Induction in vitro of primary cytotoxic T-lymphocyte responses with DNA encoding herpes simplex virus proteins. J Virol. 1994;68:5685–9.
- Ghiasi H, Cai S, Slanina S, Nesburn AB, Wechsler SL. Vaccination of mice with herpes simplex virus type 1 glycoprotein D DNA produces low levels of protection against lethal HSV-1 challenge. Antiviral Res. 1995;28:147–57.
- Manickan E, Rouse RJ, Yu Z, Wire WS, Rouse BT. Genetic immunization against herpes simplex virus. Protection is mediated by CD4+ T lymphocytes. J Immunol. 1995;155:259–65.
- Wang B, Boyer J, Srikantan V, Coney L, Carrano R, Phan C, . DNA inoculation induces neutralizing immune responses against human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in mice and nonhuman primates. DNA Cell Biol. 1993;12:799–805.
- Wang B, Ugen KE, Srikantan V, Agadjanyan MG, Dang K, Refaeli Y, . Gene inoculation generates immune responses against human immunodeficiency virus type I. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:4156–60.
- Lu S, Santoro JC, Fuller DH, Haynes JR, Robinson HL. Use of DNAs expressing HIV-1 Env and noninfectious HIV-1 particles to raise antibody responses in mice. Virology. 1995;209:147–54.
- Wang B, Boyer J, Srikantan V, Ugen K, Gilbert L, Phan C, . Induction of humoral and cellular immune responses to the human immunodeficiency type 1 virus in nonhuman primates by in vivo DNA inoculation. Virology. 1995;211:102–12.
- Fynan EF, Robinson HL, Webster RG. Use of DNA encoding influenza hemagglutinin as an avian influenza vaccine. DNA Cell Biol. 1993;12:785–9.
- Montgomery DL, Shiver JW, Leander KR, Perry HC, Friedman A, Martinez D, . Heterologous and homologous protection against influenza A by DNA vaccination: optimization of DNA vectors. DNA Cell Biol. 1993;12:777–83.
- Robinson HL, Hunt LA, Webster RG. Protection against a lethal influenza virus challenge by immunization with a haemagglutinin-expressing plasmid DNA. Vaccine. 1993;11:957–60.
- Ulmer JB, Donnelly JJ, Parker SE, Rhodes GH, Felgner PL, Dwarki VJ, . Heterologous protection against influenza by injection of DNA encoding a viral protein. Science. 1993;259:1745–9.
- Yankauckas MA, Morrow JE, Parker SE, Abai A, Rhodes GH, Dwarki VJ, . Long-term anti-nucleoprotein cellular and humoral immunity is induced by intramuscular injection of plasmid DNA containing NP gene. DNA Cell Biol. 1993;12:771–6.
- Raz E, Carson DA, Parker SE, Parr TB, Abai AM, Aichinger G, . Intradermal gene immunization: the possible role of DNA uptake in the induction of cellular immunity to viruses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:9519–23.
- Donnelly JJ, Friedman A, Martinez D, Montgomery DL, Shiver JW, Motzel SL, . Preclinical efficacy of a prototype DNA vaccine: enhanced protection against antigenic drift in influenza virus. Nat Med. 1995;1:583–7.
- Martins LP, Lau LL, Asano MS, Ahmed R. DNA vaccination against persistent viral infection. J Virol. 1995;69:2574–82.
- Yokoyama M, Zhang J, Whitton JL. DNA immunization confers protection against lethal lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus infection. J Virol. 1995;6964:2684–8.
- Zarozinski CC, Fynan EF, Selin LK, Robinson HL, Welsh RM. Protective CTL-dependent immunity and enhanced immunopathology in mice immunized by particle bombardment with DNA encoding an internal virion protein. J Immunol. 1995;154:4010–7.
- Lowrie DB, Tascon RE, Colston MJ, Silva CL. Towards a DNA vaccine against tuberculosis. Vaccine. 1994;12:1537–40.
- Barry MA, Lai WC, Johnston SA. Protection against mycoplasma infection using expression-library immunization. Nature. 1995;377:632–5.
- Lai WC, Bennett M, Johnston SA, Barry MA, Pakes SP. Protection against Mycoplasma pulmonis infection by genetic vaccination. DNA Cell Biol. 1995;14:643–51.
- Hoffman SL, Sedegah M, Hedstrom RC. Protection against malaria by immunization with a Plasmodium yoelii circumsporozoite protein nucleic acid vaccine. Vaccine. 1994;12:1529–33.
- Sedegah M, Hedstrom R, Hobart P, Hoffman SL. Protection against malaria by immunization with plasmid DNA encoding circumsporozoite protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:9866–70.
- Mor G, Klinman DM, Shapiro S, Hagiwara E, Sedegah M, Norman JA, . Complexity of the cytokine and antibody response elicited by immunizing mice with Plasmodium yoelii circumsporozoite protein plasmid DNA. J Immunol. 1995;155:2039–46.
- Xiang ZQ, Spitalnik S, Tran M, Wunner WH, Cheng J, Ertl HC. Vaccination with a plasmid vector carrying the rabies virus glycoprotein gene induces protective immunity against rabies virus. Virology. 1994;199:132–40.
- Xiang Z, Ertl HCJ. Manipulation of the immune response to a plasmidencoded viral antigen by coinoculation with plasmids expressing cyokines. Immunity. 1995;2:129–35.
- Xiang ZQ, Spitalnik SL, Cheng J, Erikson J, Wojczyk B, Ertl HC. Immune responses to nucleic acid vaccines to rabies virus. Virology. 1995;209:569–79.
- Yang W, Waine GJ, McManus DP. Antibodies to Schistosoma japonicum (Asian bloodfluke) paramyosin induced by nucleic acid vaccination. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995;212:1029–39.
- Davis HL, Demeneix BA, Quantin B, Coulombe J, Whalen RG. Plasmid DNA is superior to viral vectors for direct gene transfer in adult mouse skeletal muscle. Hum Gene Ther. 1993;4:733–40.
- Whalen RG. DNA vaccines, cyberspace and self-help programs. Intervirology. 1996. In press.
- Davis HL, Whalen RG, Demeneix BA. Direct gene transfer into skeletal muscle in vivo: factors affecting efficiency of transfer and stability of expression. Hum Gene Ther. 1993;4:151–9.
- Eisenbraun MD, Fuller DH, Haynes JR. Examination of parameters affecting the elicitation of humoral immune responses by particle bombardment-mediated genetic immunization. DNA Cell Biol. 1993;12:791–7.
- Dixon B. The third vaccine revolution. Bio/Technology. 1995;13:420.
- Kuhober A, Pudollek HP, Reifenberg K, Chisari FV, Schlicht H-J, Reimann J, . DNA immunization induces antibody and cytotoxic T cell responses to hepatitis B core antigen in H-2b mice. J Immunol. 1996;156:3687–95.
- Yasutomi Y, Robinson HL, Lu S, Mustafa F, Lekutis C, Arthos J, . Simian immunodeficiency virus-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocyte induction through DNA vaccination of rhesus monkeys. J Virol. 1996;70:678–81.
- Xu D, Liew FY. Protection against leishmaniasis by injection of DNA encoding a major surface glycoprotein of L. major. Immunology. 1995;84:173–6.
- Donnelly JJ, Martinez D, Jansen KU, Ellis RW, Montgomery DL, Liu MA. Protection against papillomavirus with a polynucleotide vaccine. J Infect Dis. 1996;173:314–20.
- Hsu CH, Chua KY, Tao MH, Lai YL, Wu HD, Huang SK, Immunoprophylaxis of allergen-induced immunoglobulin E synthesis and airway hyperresponsiveness in vivo by genetic immunization. Nat Med. 1996;2:540–4.
- Prince AM, Whalen RG, Brotman B. Successful nucleic acid based immunization of newborn chimpanzees against HBV. Vaccine. 1996. In press.