Volume 21, Number 11—November 2015
Achievements in and Challenges of Tuberculosis Control in South Korea
- World Bank. Incidence of tuberculosis (per 100,000 people). 2015 [cited 2015 Jul 5]. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.TBS.INCD/countries
- Choi EK. Study of epidemic of tuberculosis and responses in Korea during Japanese colonial period [dissertation, in Korean]. Seoul (South Korea): Seoul National University; 2011.
- Park YJ. The work of Sherwood Hall and the Haiju Tuberculosis Sanatorium in colonial Korea. Uisahak. 2013;22:681–712 . DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hong YP, Kim SJ, Lew WJ, Lee EK, Han YC. The seventh nationwide tuberculosis prevalence survey in Korea, 1995. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 1998;2:27–36 .PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Korean National Tuberculosis Association. A history of tuberculosis in Korea [in Korean]. Seoul (South Korea): The Association; 1998.
- World Bank. GDP per capita (current US$). 2014 [cited 2014 Jun 30]. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD
- Drolet GJ. World War I and tuberculosis. A statistical summary and review. Am J Public Health Nations Health. 1945;35:689–97. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Public Health England. Tuberculosis mortality and mortality rate, England and Wales, 1913–2012. 2013 [cited 2014 Jul 15]. https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/tuberculosis-tb-annual-notifications-1913-to-2012
- Drolet GJ, Lowell AM. A half century’s progress against tuberculosis in New York City, 1900 to 1950. New York: New York Tuberculosis and Health Association; 1952.
- Khan IM, Laaser U. Burden of tuberculosis in Afghanistan: update on a war-stricken country. Croat Med J. 2002;43:245–7 .PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hong YP, Kim SJ, Kwon DW, Chang SC, Lew WJ, Han YC. The sixth nationwide tuberculosis prevalence survey in Korea, 1990. Tuber Lung Dis. 1993;74:323–31. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hong YP, Kim SJ, Lew WJ, Lee SH, Lee EK. Cohort analyses of the treatment of smear-positive pulmonary tuberculosis patients under programme conditions in Korea, 1983–1994. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 1998;2:365–71 .PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ministry of Education. Statistical yearbook of education [in Korean]. 2013 [cited 2015 Apr 15]. http://kess.kedi.re.kr/publ/view?survSeq=2013&publSeq=2&menuSeq=0&itemCode=02
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. OECD family database. 2014 [cited 2015 Apr 15]. http://www.oecd.org/els/family/database.htm
- Statistics Korea. Population and housing census 2010 [in Korean]. 2011 [cited 2015 Apr 28]. http://kostat.go.kr
- Hong YP, Kim SJ, Lee EG, Lew WJ, Bai JY. Treatment of bacillary pulmonary tuberculosis at the chest clinics in the private sector in Korea, 1993. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 1999;3:695–702 .PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Annual report on the notified tuberculosis in Korea [in Korean]. Cheongju (South Korea): The Centers; 2015.
- Hong SJ, Park YS, An H, Kang SM, Cho EH, Shin SS. Factors leading to under-reporting of tuberculosis in the private sector in Korea. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012;16:1221–7. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Janssens JP, Rieder HL. An ecologic analysis of incidence of tuberculosis and per capita gross domestic product. Eur Respir J. 2008;32:1415–6. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Vesosky B, Turner J. The influence of age on immunity to infection with Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Immunol Rev. 2005;205:229–43. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Park YK, Park YS, Na KI, Cho EH, Shin S-S, Kim HJ. Increased tuberculosis burden due to demographic transition in Korea from 2001 to 2010. Tuberc Respir Dis (Seoul). 2013;74:104–10. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Jeong YJ, Yoon S, Koo HK, Lim HJ, Lee JS, Lee SM, Positive tuberculin skin test or interferon-gamma release assay in patients with radiographic lesion suggesting old healed tuberculosis. J Korean Med Sci. 2012;27:761–6.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Baghaei P, Marjani M, Javanmard P, Tabarsi P, Masjedi MR. Diabetes mellitus and tuberculosis facts and controversies. J Diabetes Metab Disord. 2013;12:58. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dooley KE, Chaisson RE. Tuberculosis and diabetes mellitus: convergence of two epidemics. Lancet Infect Dis. 2009;9:737–46. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim DJ. The epidemiology of diabetes in Korea. Diabetes Metab J. 2011;35:303–8.
- Koo BK. Diabetes mellitus and tuberculosis. Diabetes Metab J. 2013;37:249–51.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Non-medical determinants of health: tobacco consumption. 2014 [cited 2014 July 2]. http://stats.oecd.org/
- den Boon S, van Lill SW, Borgdorff MW, Verver S, Bateman ED, Lombard CJ, Association between smoking and tuberculosis infection: a population survey in a high tuberculosis incidence area. Thorax. 2005;60:555–7. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Jee SH, Golub JE, Jo J, Park IS, Ohrr H, Samet JM. Smoking and risk of tuberculosis incidence, mortality, and recurrence in South Korean men and women. Am J Epidemiol. 2009;170:1478–85. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korean guidelines for tuberculosis [in Korean]. Cheongju (South Korea): The Centers; 2011.
- Mitnick C, Bayona J, Palacios E, Shin S, Furin J, Alcantara F, Community-based therapy for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Lima, Peru. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:119–28 . DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- World Health Organization. An expanded DOTS framework for effective tuberculosis control. 2002 [cited 2014 Jul 2]. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2002/WHO_CDS_TB_2002.297.pdf?ua=1
- Kim HJ, Bai G-H, Kang MK, Kim SJ, Lee JK, Cho S-I, A public–private collaboration model for treatment intervention to improve outcomes in patients with tuberculosis in the private sector. Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases. 2009;66:349–57.
- Jeon CY, Kang H, Kim M, Murray MB, Kim H, Cho EH, Clustering of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains from foreign-born patients in Korea. J Med Microbiol. 2011;60:1835–40. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Choi CM, June JH, Kang CI, Park JT, Oh SY, Lee JB, Tuberculosis among dislocated North Koreans entering Republic of Korea since 1999. J Korean Med Sci. 2007;22:963–7 . DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- World Health Organization. Public–private mix for DOTS: towards scaling up. 2005 [cited 2014 Jul 7]. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2005/WHO_HTM_TB_2005.356.pdf
- Oh E-J. Treatment outcomes of tuberculosis patients through private–public mix collaboration (PPM) in private sector in Korea, 2011 [in Korean]. 2012 [cited 2014 Jul 15]. http://www.cdc.go.kr/CDC/contents/CdcKrContentLink.jsp?fid=31&cid=12798&ctype=6
- Uplekar M, Pathania V, Raviglione M. Private practitioners and public health: weak links in tuberculosis control. Lancet. 2001;358:912–6. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Tuberculosis Program guideline [in Korean]. 2013 [cited 2014 Jul 15]. http://www.hira.or.kr/cms/notice/01/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2013/07/09/main5_1.pdf
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Tuberculosis outbreak investigations in institutions [in Korean]. Cheongju (South Korea): The Centers; 2014.