Volume 21, Number 11—November 2015
Ebola in West Africa—CDC’s Role in Epidemic Detection, Control, and Prevention
- Ogden HG. CDC and the smallpox crusade. The global health chronicles. Atlanta: US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control; 1987 [cited 2015 Jul 30]. http://www.globalhealthchronicles.org/items/show/5374
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC Emergency Operations Center (EOC) [cited 2015 May 28]. http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/eoc.htm
- Shuaib F, Gunnala R, Musa EO, Mahoney FJ, Oguntimehin O, Nguku PM, Ebola virus disease outbreak—Nigeria, July–September 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:867–72 .
- Mirkovic K, Thwing J, Diack PA. Importation and containment of Ebola virus disease—Senegal, August–September 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:873–4 .
- World Health Organization. Government of Mali and WHO announce the end of the Ebola outbreak in Mali [cited 2015 Jul 16]. http://www.afro.who.int/en/media-centre/pressreleases/item/7293-government-of-mali-and-who-announce-the-end-of-the-ebola-outbreak-in-mali.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The road to zero: CDC’s response to the West African Ebola epidemic [cited 2015 Jul 16]. http://www.cdc.gov/about/pdf/ebola/ebola-photobook-070915.pdf
- Mohr EL, McMullan LK, Lo MK, Spengler JR, Bergeron É, Albariño CG, Inhibitors of cellular kinases with broad-spectrum antiviral activity for hemorrhagic fever viruses. Antiviral Res. 2015;120:40–7 and and.
- Kargbo MK. Ebola prevention vaccine evaluation in Sierra Leone [presentation] [cited 2015 May 29]. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/events/2015/S4.3_Kargbo_Sierra_Leone_CDC_Collaboration.pdf
- ClinicalTrials.gov. STRIVE (Sierra Leone Trial to Introduce a Vaccine Against Ebola) [cited 2015 May 28]. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02378753
- CDC Foundation [cited 2015 May 28]. http://www.cdcfoundation.org
- Public Health Service Act, 42 U.S.C. 280d-11, Sec 399F (1992).
- Nossiter A. Outracing vows of aid, Ebola swamps a city unprepared for it. New York Times. 2014 Oct 2; Sect A:1.
- World Health Organization. Ebola response in action [cited 2015 Jul 30]. http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/dashboard-en.pdf?ua=1
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Improving Ebola diagnostics: field lab in Bo, Sierra Leone [cited 2015 May 28]. http://www.cdc.gov/ncezid/dhcpp/featured_stories/improving-ebola-diagnostics.html
- Kateh F, Nagbe T, Kieta A, Barskey A, Gasasira AN, Driscoll A, Rapid response to Ebola outbreaks in remote areas—Liberia, July–November 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;64:188–92 .
- Digital IIP; US Department of State. White House facts on progress in Ebola response in U.S., abroad [cited 2015 May 28]. http://iipdigital.usembassy.gov/st/english/texttrans/2015/02/20150211313532.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Preparing healthcare workers to work in Ebola treatment units (ETUs) in Africa [cited 2015 Jul 16]. http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/safety-training-course/index.html
- Nielsen CF, Kidd S, Sillah AR, Davis E, Mermin J, Kilmarx PH, Improving burial practices and cemetery management during an Ebola virus disease epidemic—Sierra Leone, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;64:20–7 .
- Sharma A, Heijenberg N, Peter C, Bolongei J, Reeder B, Alpha T, Evidence for a decrease in transmission of Ebola virus—Lofa County, Liberia, June 8–November 1, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:1067–71 .
- UNICEF, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, World Health Organization. Key messages for safe school operations in countries with outbreaks of Ebola. February 2015 [cited 2015 May 28]. http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/ebola-safe-school-messages2015.pdf
- Salaam-Blyther T. U.S. and international health responses to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Washington, DC: Congressional Research Service; 2014 [cited 2015 May 28]. http://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/R43697.pdf
- Meltzer MI, Atkins CY, Santibanez S, Knust B, Petersen BW, Ervin ED, Estimating the future number of cases in the Ebola epidemic—Liberia and Sierra Leone, 2014–2015. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2014;63(Suppl 3):1–14 .
- African Union. African Union support to Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Fact sheet: African Union response to the Ebola epidemic in West Africa, as of 1/26/2015 [cited 2015 May 28]. http://pages.au.int/sites/default/files/FACT%20SHEET_as%20of%2026%20Jan%202015.pdf
- The White House. Fact sheet: update on the Ebola response [cited 2015 May 28]. https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/12/02/fact-sheet-update-ebola-response
- US Agency for International Development. West Africa—Ebola outbreak—fact sheet #6 [cited 2015 May 28]. http://www.usaid.gov/ebola/fy15/fs06
- World Health Organization. Ebola situation report—21 January 2015 [cited 2015 Aug 19]. http://apps.who.int/ebola/en/status-outbreak/situation-reports/ebola-situation-report-21-january-2015
- ClinicalTrials.gov. Putative investigational therapeutics in the treatment of patients with known Ebola infection [cited 2015 Jul 30]. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02363322
- ClinicalTrials.gov. Partnership for Research on Ebola Vaccines in Liberia (PREVAIL) [cited 2015 May 28]. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02344407
- Incident Management System Ebola Epidemiology Team. CDC; Guinea Interministerial Committee for Response Against the Ebola Virus; World Health Organization; CDC Guinea Response Team; Liberia Ministry of Health and Social Welfare; CDC Liberia Response Team; et al. Update: Ebola virus disease epidemic—West Africa, January 2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;64:109–10 .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Emergency preparedness and response guidelines for evaluation of US patients suspected of having Ebola virus disease [cited 2015 May 28]. http://emergency.cdc.gov/HAN/han00364.asp
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Interim guidance for environmental infection control in hospitals for Ebola virus [cited 2015 May 28]. http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/healthcare-us/cleaning/hospitals.html
- Chevalier MS, Chung W, Smith J, Weil LM, Hughes SM, Joyner SN, Ebola virus disease cluster in the United States—Dallas County, Texas, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:1087–8 .
- Regan JJ, Jungerman R, Montiel SH, Newsome K, Objio T, Washburn F, Public health response to commercial airline travel of a person with Ebola virus infection—United States, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;64:63–6 .
- Pellerin C. Medical Research Institute develops Ebola diagnostics. DoD News. 2014 Oct 27 [cited 2015 May 28]. http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=123498
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Protecting America from Ebola. CDC’s Ebola Response Team [cited 2015 May 28]. http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/ebola-response-team.pdf
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Enhanced Ebola screening to start at five U.S. airports and new tracking program for all people entering U.S. from Ebola-affected countries [cited 2015 May 28]. http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/p1008-ebola-screening.html
- Karwowski MP, Meites E, Fullerton KE, Ströher U, Lowe L, Rayfield M, Clinical inquiries regarding Ebola virus disease received by CDC—United States, July 9–November 15, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:1175–9 .
- NetHope Global Broadband and Innovations Alliance. Information and communications technology response to the Liberia Ebola crisis. Desk review and recommendations for private sector engagement [cited 2015 May 28]. http://www.medbox.org/information-and-communications-technology-response-to-the-liberia-ebola-crisis/download.pdf
- Making a difference. The global Ebola response: outlook 2015 [cited 2015 May 28]. https://ebolaresponse.un.org/sites/default/files/ebolaoutlook.pdf
- Shoemaker T, MacNeil A, Balinandi S, Campbell S, Wamala JF, McMullan LK, Reemerging Sudan Ebola virus disease in Uganda, 2011. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:1480–3.
- Frieden TR, Tappero JW, Dowell SF, Hien NT, Guillaume FD, Aceng JR. Safer countries through global health security. Lancet. 2014;383:764–6 .
- Heymann DL, Chen L, Takemi K, Fidler DP, Tappero JW, Thomas MJ, Global health security: the wider lessons from the west African Ebola virus disease epidemic. Lancet. 2015;385:1884–901.
- World Health Organization. Report of the Ebola interim assessment panel. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2015 [cited 2015 Jul 16]. http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/ebola/report-by-panel.pdf
- Mackenzie JS, Drury P, Arthur RR, Ryan MJ, Grein T, Slattery R, The global outbreak alert and response network. Glob Public Health. 2014;9:1023–39.
Page created: October 16, 2015
Page updated: October 16, 2015
Page reviewed: October 16, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.