Volume 21, Number 4—April 2015
Pathogenicity of 2 Porcine Deltacoronavirus Strains in Gnotobiotic Pigs
|Pig status, no.||hpi at euthanasia||Mean VH:CD||RNA detection in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues/antigen detection in frozen tissues (ISH/IF results)†
*PDCoV, porcine deltacoronavirus; hpi, hour postinoculation; VH:CD, ratio of villous height to crypt depth; ISH, in situ hybridization; IF, immunofluorescence staining; ND, not determined because of autolysis at tips of jejunal villi; NA, not applicable.
†Detected by ISH or IF staining. –, no cells showed staining; +, 1%–29% of epithelial cells showed staining; +++, 60%–100% of epithelial cells showed staining as described (12); ±, <1% of epithelial cells showed staining; ++, 30%–59% of epithelial cells showed staining. Other internal organs showed no ISH or IF staining.
‡Pig 2 was used for production of hyperimmune gnotobiotic antiserum against PDCoV strain OH-FD22.
- Cima G. Viral disease affects U.S. pigs: porcine epidemic diarrhea found in at least 11 states. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2013;243:30–1 .
- Stevenson GW, Hoang H, Schwartz KJ, Burrough ER, Sun D, Madson D, Emergence of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus in the United States: clinical signs, lesions, and viral genomic sequences. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2013;25:649–54.
- Marthaler D, Jiang Y, Collins J, Rossow K. Complete genome sequence of strain SDCV/USA/Illinois121/2014, a porcine deltacoronavirus from the United States. Genome Announc. 2014;2:e00218–14.
- Wang L, Byrum B, Zhang Y. Detection and genetic characterization of deltacoronavirus in pigs, Ohio, USA, 2014. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1227–30.
- Li G, Chen Q, Harmon KM, Yoon KJ, Schwartz KJ, Hoogland MJ, Full-length genome sequence of porcine deltacoronavirus strain USA/IA/2014/8734. Genome Announc. 2014;2:e00278–14.
- USDA to require reports of PED. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2014;244:1234 .
- Marthaler D, Raymond L, Jiang Y, Collins J, Rossow K, Rovira A. Rapid detection, complete genome sequencing, and phylogenetic analysis of porcine deltacoronavirus. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1347–50.
- Jung K, Wang Q, Scheuer KA, Lu Z, Zhang Y, Saif LJ. Pathology of US porcine epidemic diarrhea virus strain PC21A in gnotobiotic pigs. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:662–5.
- Jung K, Wang Q, Kim Y, Scheuer K, Zhang Z, Shen Q, The effects of simvastatin or interferon-alpha on infectivity of human norovirus using a gnotobiotic pig model for the study of antivirals. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41619.
- Jung K, Ha Y, Chae C. Pathogenesis of swine influenza virus subtype H1N2 infection in pigs. J Comp Pathol. 2005;132:179–84.
- Guo M, Qian Y, Chang KO, Saif LJ. Expression and self-assembly in baculovirus of porcine enteric calicivirus capsids into virus-like particles and their use in an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for antibody detection in swine. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:1487–93.
- Coussement W, Ducatelle R, Debouck P, Hoorens J. Pathology of experimental CV777 coronavirus enteritis in piglets. I. Histological and histochemical study. Vet Pathol. 1982;19:46–56.
- Opriessnig T, Xiao CT, Gerber PF, Zhang J, Halbur PG. Porcine epidemic diarrhea virus RNA present in commercial spray-dried porcine plasma is not infectious to naive pigs. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e104766 .