Volume 21, Number 6—June 2015
Hospitalization Frequency and Charges for Neurocysticercosis, United States, 2003–2012
|CCS code||Diagnosis or procedure|
|78||Other CNS infection and poliomyelitis|
|84||Headache; including migraine|
|85||Coma; stupor; and brain damage|
|90||Inflammation; infection of eye|
|95||Other nervous system disorders|
|109||Acute cerebrovascular disease|
|111||Other and ill-defined cerebrovascular disease|
|112||Transient cerebral ischemia|
|652||Attention-deficit, conduct, and disruptive behavior disorders|
|653||Delirium, dementia, and amnestic and other cognitive disorders|
|656||Impulse control disorders, NEC|
|659||Schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders|
|662||Suicide and intentional self-inflicted injury|
|670||Miscellaneous mental disorders|
|1||Incision and excision of CNS|
|2||Insertion; replacement; or removal of extracranial ventricular shunt|
|177||Computerized axial tomography (CT) scan head|
|198||Magnetic resonance imaging|
*A complete list of ICD-9-CM codes used in this study is provided in the online Technical Appendix (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/EID/article/21/6/14-1324-Techapp1.pdf). ICD-9-CM, International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision, Clinical Modification; CCS, Clinical Classification Software groupings of ICD-9-CM codes (12); CNS, central nervous system; NEC, not elsewhere classified.
- Ndimubanzi PC, Carabin H, Budke CM, Nguyen H, Qian Y-J, Rainwater E, A systematic review of the frequency of neurocysticercosis with a focus on people with epilepsy. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2010;4:e870.
- Coyle CM, Mahanty S, Zunt JR, Wallin MT, Cantey PT, White AC Jr, Neurocysticercosis: neglected but not forgotten. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012;6:e1500.
- Scharf D. Neurocysticercosis. Two hundred thirty-eight cases from a California hospital. Arch Neurol. 1988;45:777–80.
- Shandera WX, White AC, Chen JC, Diaz P, Armstrong R. Neurocysticercosis in Houston, Texas. A report of 112 cases. Medicine (Baltimore). 1994;73:37–52.
- Wallin MT, Kurtzke JF. Neurocysticercosis in the United States: review of an important emerging infection. Neurology. 2004;63:1559–64.
- Crompton DWT, editor. Sustaining the drive to overcome the global impact of neglected tropical diseases: second WHO report on neglected tropical diseases. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2013.
- World Health Organization. 66th Assembly. “Resolution WHA66.12” May 2013. Neglected tropical diseases [cited 2015 Apr 9]. http://www.who.int/neglected_diseases/mediacentre/WHA_66.12_Eng.pdf
- World Organisation for Animal Health, World Health Organization, Food and Agriculture Organization. WHO/FAO/OIE guidelines for the surveillance, prevention and control of taeniosis/cysticercosis [cited 2015 Apr 9]. http://www.oie.int/doc/ged/d11245.pdf
- Sorvillo FJ, DeGiorgio C, Waterman SH. Deaths from cysticercosis, United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:230–5.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. Introduction to the HCUP Nationwide Inpatient Sample (NIS), 2011. Rockville (MD): The Agency; 2013 [cited 2015 Jan 6]. http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/nation/nis/NIS_Introduction_2011.pdf
- Steiner C, Elixhauser A, Schnaier J. The healthcare cost and utilization project: an overview. Eff Clin Pract. 2002;5:143–51.
- O’Neal S, Noh J, Wilkins P, Keene W, Andersen J, Lambert W, Surveillance and screening for Taenia solium infection, Oregon, USA. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:1030–6.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. Clinical Classifications Software (CCS) for ICD-9-CM [cited 2014 May 2]. http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/ccs/ccs.jsp
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Buruli ulcer: technical information [cited 2015 Apr 9]. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/buruliulcer_t.htm
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. Population denominator data for use with the HCUP databases, 2003–2012 data [cited 2014 Nov 2]. http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/methods/2013_01_AppendixA.zip
- Townes JM, Hoffmann CJ, Kohn MA. Neurocysticercosis in Oregon, 1995–2000. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:508–10.
- Ehnert KL, Roberto RR, Barrett L, Sorvillo FJ, Rutherford GW III. Cysticercosis: first 12 months of reporting in California. Bull Pan Am Health Organ. 1992;26:165–72.
- Croker C, Redelings M, Reporter R, Sorvillo F, Mascola L, Wilkins P. The impact of neurocysticercosis in California: a review of hospitalized cases. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012;6:e1480.
- Sorvillo FJ, Waterman SH, Richards FO, Schantz PM. Cysticercosis surveillance: locally acquired and travel-related infections and detection of intestinal tapeworm carriers in Los Angeles County. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1992;47:365–71.
- Croker C, Reporter R, Mascola L. Use of statewide hospital discharge data to evaluate the economic burden of neurocysticercosis in Los Angeles County (1991–2008). Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010;83:106–10.
- US Census Bureau. 2012 national population projections [cited 2014 Apr 28] http://www.census.gov/population/projections/data/national/2012.html
- Serpa JA, Graviss EA, Kass JS, White AC Jr. Neurocysticercosis in Houston, Texas: an update. Medicine (Baltimore). 2011;90:81–6.
- Cuetter AC, Andrews RJ. Intraventricular neurocysticercosis: 18 consecutive patients and review of the literature. Neurosurg Focus. 2002;12:e5.
- García HH, Evans CA, Nash TE, Takayanagui OM, White AC Jr, Botero D, Current consensus guidelines for treatment of neurocysticercosis. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2002;15:747–56.
- Sotelo J, Marin C. Hydrocephalus secondary to cysticercotic arachnoiditis. A long-term follow-up review of 92 cases. J Neurosurg. 1987;66:686–9.
- Kelley R, Duong DH, Locke GE. Characteristics of ventricular shunt malfunctions among patients with neurocysticercosis. Neurosurgery. 2002;50:757–61.
- Nash TE, Mahanty S, Garcia HH; Cysticercosis Group in Peru. Corticosteroid use in neurocysticercosis. Expert Rev Neurother. 2011;11:1175–83.
- del la Garza Y, Graviss EA, Daver NG, Gambarin KJ, Shandera WX, Schantz PM, Epidemiology of neurocysticercosis in Houston, Texas. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2005;73:766–70.