Volume 21, Number 9—September 2015
Emerging Infections Program
Emerging Infections Program
The US Influenza Hospitalization Surveillance Network
- Molinari NA, Ortega-Sanchez IR, Messonnier ML, Thompson WW, Wortley PM, Weintraub E, The annual impact of seasonal influenza in the US: measuring disease burden and costs. Vaccine. 2007;25:5086–96.
- Brundage JF, Shanks GD. Deaths from bacterial pneumonia during 1918–19 influenza pandemic. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:1193–9.
- Louria DB, Blumenfeld HL, Ellis JT, Kilbourne ED, Rogers DE. Studies on influenza in the pandemic of 1957–1958. II. Pulmonary complications of influenza. J Clin Invest. 1959;38:213–65.
- Novel Swine-Origin Influenza A. (H1N1) Virus Investigation Team; Dawood FS, Jain S, Finelli L, Shaw MW, Lindstrom S, Garten RJ, et al. Emergence of a novel swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) virus in humans. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:2605–15.
- Schrag SJ, Shay DK, Gershman K, Thomas A, Craig AS, Schaffner W, ; Emerging Infections Program Respiratory Diseases Activity. Multistate surveillance for laboratory-confirmed, influenza-associated hospitalizations in children: 2003–2004. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2006;25:395–400.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevention and control of influenza: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2003;52:1–34.
- Fiore AE, Shay DK, Broder K, Iskander JK, Uyeki TM, Mootrey G, Prevention and control of influenza: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), 2008. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2008;57(RR-7):1–60 .
- Dao CN, Kamimoto L, Nowell M, Reingold A, Gershman K, Meek J, Adult hospitalizations for laboratory-positive influenza during the 2005–2006 through 2007–2008 seasons in the United States. J Infect Dis. 2010;202:881–8.
- Creanga AA, Kamimoto L, Newsome K, D’Mello T, Jamieson DJ, Zotti ME, Seasonal and 2009 pandemic influenza A(H1N1) virus infection during pregnancy: a population-based study of hospitalized cases. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011;204(Suppl 1):S38–45.
- Dee DL, Bensyl DM, Gindler J, Truman BI, Allen BG, D’Mello T, Racial and ethnic disparities in hospitalizations and deaths associated with 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus infections in the United States. Ann Epidemiol. 2011;21:623–30.
- Morgan OW, Bramley A, Fowlkes A, Freedman DS, Taylor TH, Gargiullo P, Morbid obesity as a risk factor for hospitalization and death due to 2009 pandemic influenza A(H1N1) disease. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9694.
- Cox CM, D’Mello T, Perez A, Reingold A, Gershman K, Yousey-Hindes K, Increase in rates of hospitalization due to laboratory-confirmed influenza among children and adults during the 2009–10 influenza pandemic. J Infect Dis. 2012;206:1350–8.
- Thompson WW, Shay DK, Weintraub E, Brammer L, Bridges CB, Cox NJ, Influenza-associated hospitalizations in the United States. JAMA. 2004;292:1333–40.
- Zhou H, Thompson WW, Viboud CG, Ringholz CM, Cheng PY, Steiner C, Hospitalizations associated with influenza and respiratory syncytial virus in the United States, 1993–2008. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54:1427–36.
- Kostova D, Reed C, Finelli L, Cheng PY, Gargiullo PM, Shay DK, Influenza illness and hospitalizations averted by influenza vaccination in the United States, 2005–2011. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e66312.
- Reed C, Chaves SS, Daily Kirley P, Emerson R, Aragon D, Hancock EB, Estimating influenza disease burden from population-based surveillance data in the United States. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0118369.
- Doshi S, Kamimoto L, Finelli L, Perez A, Reingold A, Gershman K, Description of antiviral treatment among adults hospitalized with influenza before and during the 2009 pandemic: United States, 2005–2009. J Infect Dis. 2011;204:1848–56.
- Garg S, Chaves SS, Pérez A, D'Mello T, Gershman K, Meek J, Reduced influenza antiviral treatment among children and adults hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed influenza infection in the year after the 2009 pandemic. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;55:e18–21.
- Thompson MG, Sokolow LZ, Almendares O, Openo K, Farley MM, Meek J, Effectiveness of nonadjuvanted monovalent influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 vaccines for preventing reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction–confirmed pandemic influenza hospitalizations: case-control study of children and adults at 10 US influenza surveillance network sites. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;57:1587–92.
- Wise ME, Viray M, Sejvar JJ, Lewis P, Baughman AL, Connor W, Guillain-Barré syndrome during the 2009–2010 H1N1 influenza vaccination campaign: population-based surveillance among 45 million Americans. Am J Epidemiol. 2012;175:1110–9.
- Tokars JI, Lewis P, DeStefano F, Wise M, Viray M, Morgan O, The risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome associated with influenza A (H1N1) 2009 monovalent vaccine and 2009–2010 seasonal influenza vaccines: results from self-controlled analyses. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012;21:546–52.
- Fiore AE, Uyeki TM, Broder K, Finelli L, Euler GL, Singleton JA, Prevention and control of influenza with vaccines: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), 2010. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2010;59(RR-8):1–62 .
- Prosser LA, Bridges CB, Uyeki TM, Hinrichsen VL, Meltzer MI, Molinari NA, Health benefits, risks, and cost-effectiveness of influenza vaccination of children. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:1548–58.
- Nichol KL. The efficacy, effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of inactivated influenza virus vaccines. Vaccine. 2003;21:1769–75.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Estimated influenza illnesses and hospitalizations averted by influenza vaccination—United States, 2012–13 influenza season. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013;62:997–1000 .
- Dharan NJ, Sokolow LZ, Cheng PY, Gargiullo P, Gershman K, Lynfield R, Child, household, and caregiver characteristics associated with hospitalization for influenza among children 6–59 months of age: an Emerging Infections Program study. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2014;33:e141–50.
- Chaves SS, Pérez A, Farley MM, Miller L, Schaffner W, Lindegren ML, The burden of influenza hospitalizations in infants from 2003 to 2012, United States. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2014;33:912–9.
- Dawood FS, Kamimoto L, D’Mello TA, Reingold A, Gershman K, Meek J, Children with asthma hospitalized with seasonal or pandemic influenza, 2003–2009. Pediatrics. 2011;128:e27–32.
- Jhung MA, D’Mello T, Pérez A, Aragon D, Bennett NM, Cooper T, Hospital-onset influenza hospitalizations—United States, 2010–2011. Am J Infect Control. 2014;42:7–11.
- Greenbaum A, Chaves SS, Pérez A, Aragon D, Bandyopadhyay A, Bennett N, Heavy alcohol use as a risk factor for severe outcomes among adults hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed influenza, 2005–2012. Infection. 2014;42:165–70.
- Fleming-Dutra KE, Taylor T, Link-Gelles R, Garg S, Jhung MA, Finelli L, Effect of the 2009 influenza A(H1N1) pandemic on invasive pneumococcal pneumonia. J Infect Dis. 2013;207:1135–43 .
- Vandermeer ML, Thomas A, Kamimoto L, Reingold A, Gershman K, Meek J, Association between statins and mortality among patients hospitalized with lab-confirmed influenza infections: a multi-state study. J Infect Dis. 2012;205:13–9 .
- Fedson DS. Treating influenza with statins and other immunomodulatory agents. Antiviral Res. 2013;99:417–35.
- Tam K, Yousey-Hindes K, Hadler JL. Influenza-related hospitalization of adults associated with low census tract socioeconomic status and female sex in New Haven County, Connecticut, 2007–2011. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2014;8:274–81.
- Yousey-Hindes KM, Hadler J. Neighborhood socioeconomic status and influenza hospitalizations among children: New Haven County, Connecticut, 2003–2010. Am J Public Health. 2011;101:1785–9.
- Dawood FS, Chaves SS, Pérez A, Reingold A, Meek J, Farley MM, Complications and associated bacterial co-infections among children hospitalized with seasonal or pandemic influenza, United States, 2003–2010. J Infect Dis. 2014;209:686–94.
- Reed C, Chaves SS, Pérez A, D’Mello T, Daily Kirley P, Aragon D, Complications among adults hospitalized with influenza: a comparison of seasonal influenza and the 2009 H1N1 pandemic. Clin Infect Dis. 2014;59:166–74.
- Su S, Chaves SS, Pérez A, D'Mello T, Kirley PD, Yousey-Hindes K, Comparing clinical characteristics between hospitalized adults with laboratory-confirmed influenza A and B virus infection. Clin Infect Dis. 2014;59:252–5.
- Chaves SS, Aragon D, Bennett N, Cooper T, D’Mello T, Farley M, Patients hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed influenza during the 2010–2011 influenza season: exploring disease severity by virus type and subtype. J Infect Dis. 2013;208:1305–14.
- Poritz MA, Blaschke AJ, Byington CL, Meyers L, Nilsson K, Jones DE, FilmArray, an automated nested multiplex PCR system for multi-pathogen detection: development and application to respiratory tract infection. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26047.
Page created: August 12, 2015
Page updated: August 12, 2015
Page reviewed: August 12, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.