Volume 22, Number 11—November 2016
ESBL-Producing and Macrolide-Resistant Shigella sonnei Infections among Men Who Have Sex with Men, England, 2015
- Borg ML, Modi A, Tostmann A, Gobin M, Cartwright J, Quigley C, Ongoing outbreak of Shigella flexneri serotype 3a in men who have sex with men in England and Wales, data from 2009-2011. Euro Surveill. 2012;17:20137.
- Simms I, Field N, Jenkins C, Childs T, Gilbart VL, Dallman TJ, Intensified shigellosis epidemic associated with sexual transmission in men who have sex with men—Shigella flexneri and S. sonnei in England, 2004 to end of February 2015. Euro Surveill. 2015;20:21097.
- Ashton P, Nair S, Peters T, Tewolde R, Day M, Doumith M, Revolutionising public health reference microbiology using whole genome sequencing: salmonella as an exemplar. bioRxiv. 2015;•••:033225.
- Baker KS, Dallman TJ, Ashton PM, Day M, Hughes G, Crook PD, Intercontinental dissemination of azithromycin-resistant shigellosis through sexual transmission: a cross-sectional study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:913–21.
- Alikhan N-F, Petty NK, Ben Zakour NL, Beatson SA. BLAST Ring Image Generator (BRIG): simple prokaryote genome comparisons. BMC Genomics. 2011;12:402.
- Gilbart VL, Simms I, Jenkins C, Furegato M, Gobin M, Oliver I, Sex, drugs and smart phone applications: findings from semistructured interviews with men who have sex with men diagnosed with Shigella flexneri 3a in England and Wales. Sex Transm Infect. 2015;91:598–602.
- Baer JT, Vugia DJ, Reingold AL, Aragon T, Angulo FJ, Bradford WZ. HIV infection as a risk factor for shigellosis. Emerg Infect Dis. 1999;5:820–3.
- Hoffmann C, Sahly H, Jessen A, Ingiliz P, Stellbrink H-J, Neifer S, High rates of quinolone-resistant strains of Shigella sonnei in HIV-infected MSM. Infection. 2013;41:999–1003.
- Bowen A, Eikmeier D, Talley P, Siston A, Smith S, Hurd J, ; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Notes from the field: outbreaks of Shigella sonnei infection with decreased susceptibility to azithromycin among men who have Sex with men—Chicago and Metropolitan Minneapolis–St. Paul, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;64:597–8.
- Public Health England. Shigella: leaflet and poster for men who have sex with men. 2013 Dec 1 [cited 2016 Feb 10]. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/shigella-leaflet-and-poster
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
2These senior authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: October 19, 2016
Page updated: October 19, 2016
Page reviewed: October 19, 2016
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.