Volume 22, Number 2—February 2016
Mediterranean Fin Whales (Balaenoptera physalus) Threatened by Dolphin MorbilliVirus
- Bérubé M, Aguilar A, Dendanto D, Larsen F, Notarbartolo di Sciara G, Sears R, Population genetic structure of North Atlantic, Mediterranean Sea and Sea of Cortez fin whales, Balaenoptera physalus (Linnaeus 1758): analysis of mitochondrial and nuclear loci. Mol Ecol. 1998;7:585–99.
- Panigada S, Pesante G, Zanardelli M, Capoulade F, Gannier A, Weinrich MT. Mediterranean fin whales at risk from fatal ship strikes. Mar Pollut Bull. 2006;52:1287–98.
- Pinzone M, Budzinski H, Tasciotti A, Ody D, Lepoint G, Schnitzler J, POPs in free-ranging pilot whales, sperm whales and fin whales from the Mediterranean Sea: influence of biological and ecological factors. Environ Res. 2015;142:185–96.
- Castellote M, Clark CW, Lammers MO. Acoustic and behavioral changes by fin whales (Balaenoptera physalus) in response to shipping and airgun noise. Biol Conserv. 2012;147:115–22.
- Van Bressem MF, Duignan PJ, Banyard A, Barbieri M, Colegrove KM, De Guise S, Cetacean morbillivirus: current knowledge and future directions. Viruses. 2014;6:5145–81.
- Casalone C, Mazzariol S, Pautasso A, Di Guardo G, Di Nocera F, Lucifora G, Cetacean strandings in Italy: an unusual mortality event along the Tyrrhenian Sea coast in 2013. Dis Aquat Organ. 2014;109:81–6.
- Di Guardo G, Di Francesco CE, Eleni C, Cocumelli C, Scholl F, Casalone C, Morbillivirus infection in cetaceans stranded along the Italian coastline: pathological, immunohistochemical and biomolecular findings. Res Vet Sci. 2013;94:132–7.
- Mazzariol S, Marcer F, Mignone W, Serracca L, Goria M, Marsili L, Dolphin Morbillivirus and Toxoplasma gondii coinfection in a Mediterranean fin whale (Balaenoptera physalus). BMC Vet Res. 2012;8:20.
- Profeta F, Di Francesco CE, Marsilio F, Mignone W, Di Nocera F, De Carlo E, Retrospective seroepidemiological investigations against Morbillivirus, Toxoplasma gondii and Brucella spp. in cetaceans stranded along the Italian coastline (1998–2014). Res Vet Sci. 2015;101:89–92.
- Yang WC, Pang VF, Jeng CR, Chou LS, Chueh LL. Morbilliviral infection in a pygmy sperm whale (Kogia breviceps) from Taiwanese waters. Vet Microbiol. 2006;116:69–76.
- Bellière EN, Esperón F, Sánchez-Vizcaíno JM. Genetic comparison among dolphin morbillivirus in the 1990–1992 and 2006–2008 Mediterranean outbreaks. Infect Genet Evol. 2011;11:1913–20 .
- Ohishi K, Ando A, Suzuki R, Takishita K, Kawato M, Katsumata E, Host-virus specificity of morbilliviruses predicted by structural modeling of the marine mammal SLAM, a receptor. Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis. 2010;33:227–41.
- Blixenkrone-Møller M, Bolt G, Jensen TD, Harder T, Svansson V. Comparative analysis of the attachment protein gene (H) of dolphin morbillivirus. Virus Res. 1996;40:47–55.
- Mazzariol S, Peletto S, Mondin A, Centelleghe C, Di Guardo G, Di Francesco CE, Dolphin morbillivirus infection in a captive harbor seal (Phoca vitulina). J Clin Microbiol. 2013;51:708–11.
- Sattler U, Khosravi M, Avila M, Pilo P, Langedijk JP, Ader-Ebert N, Identification of amino acid substitutions with compensational effects in the attachment protein of canine distemper virus. J Virol. 2014;88:8057–64.
Page created: January 15, 2016
Page updated: January 15, 2016
Page reviewed: January 15, 2016
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.