Volume 23, Number 12—December 2017
West Nile Virus Lineage 2 in Horses and Other Animals with Neurologic Disease, South Africa, 2008–2015
- Jupp PG. The ecology of West Nile virus in South Africa and the occurrence of outbreaks in humans. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001;951:143–52.
- Petersen LR, Roehrig JT. West Nile virus: a reemerging global pathogen. Emerg Infect Dis. 2001;7:611–4.
- Danis K, Papa A, Theocharopoulos G, Dougas G, Athanasiou M, Detsis M, et al. Outbreak of West Nile virus infection in Greece, 2010. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:1868–72.
- Ward MP, Schuermann JA, Highfield LD, Murray KO. Characteristics of an outbreak of West Nile virus encephalomyelitis in a previously uninfected population of horses. Vet Microbiol. 2006;118:255–9.
- Ward MP, Scheurmann JA. The relationship between equine and human West Nile virus disease occurrence. Vet Microbiol. 2008;129:378–83.
- Burt FJ, Grobbelaar AA, Leman PA, Anthony FS, Gibson GV, Swanepoel R. Phylogenetic relationships of southern African West Nile virus isolates. Emerg Infect Dis. 2002;8:820–6.
- Zaayman D, Venter M. West Nile virus neurologic disease in humans, South Africa, September 2008-may 2009. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:2051–4.
- Venter M, Human S, Zaayman D, Gerdes GH, Williams J, Steyl J, et al. Lineage 2 west nile virus as cause of fatal neurologic disease in horses, South Africa. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:877–84.
- Bakonyi T, Ivanics E, Erdélyi K, Ursu K, Ferenczi E, Weissenböck H, et al. Lineage 1 and 2 strains of encephalitic West Nile virus, central Europe. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:618–23.
- Ward MP, Levy M, Thacker HL, Ash M, Norman SK, Moore GE, et al. Investigation of an outbreak of encephalomyelitis caused by West Nile virus in 136 horses. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2004;225:84–9.
- van Eeden C, Swanepoel R, Venter M. Antibodies against West Nile and Shuni viruses in veterinarians, South Africa. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1409–11.
- van Niekerk S, Human S, Williams J, van Wilpe E, Pretorius M, Swanepoel R, et al. Sindbis and Middelburg old world alphaviruses associated with neurologic disease in horses, South Africa. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:2225–9.
- Guthrie AJ, Maclachlan NJ, Joone C, Lourens CW, Weyer CT, Quan M, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of a duplex real-time reverse transcription quantitative PCR assay for detection of African horse sickness virus. J Virol Methods. 2013;189:30–5.
- Venter M, Human S, van Niekerk S, Williams J, van Eeden C, Freeman F. Fatal neurologic disease and abortion in mare infected with lineage 1 West Nile virus, South Africa. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:1534–6.
- Venter M, Steyl J, Human S, Weyer J, Zaayman D, Blumberg L, et al. Transmission of West Nile virus during horse autopsy. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010;16:573–5.
Page created: November 16, 2017
Page updated: November 16, 2017
Page reviewed: November 16, 2017
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.