Volume 23, Number 2—February 2017
Neisseria meningitidis ST11 Complex Isolates Associated with Nongonococcal Urethritis, Indiana, USA, 2015–2016
- Feldman HA. Meningococcus and gonococcus: never the Twain—well, hardly ever. N Engl J Med. 1971;285:518–20.
- Carpenter CM, Charles R. Isolation of meningococcus from the genitourinary tract of seven patients. Am J Public Health Nations Health. 1942;32:640–3.
- Murray E. Meningococcus infections of the male urogenital tract and the liability to confusion with gonococcus infection. Urol Cutaneous Rev. 1939;43:739–41.
- Janda WM, Bohnoff M, Morello JA, Lerner SA. Prevalence and site-pathogen studies of Neisseria meningitidis and N gonorrhoeae in homosexual men. JAMA. 1980;244:2060–4.
- Nebreda T, Campos A, Merino FJ. Urethritis caused by Neisseria meningitidis serogroup C. Clin Microbiol Infect. 1999;5:57–60.
- Rodriguez CN, Rodriguez-Morales AJ, Garcia A, Pastran B, Rios A, Calvo A, et al. Quinolone and azithromycin-resistant Neisseria meningitidis serogroup C causing urethritis in a heterosexual man. Int J STD AIDS. 2005;16:649–50.
- Gregory JE, Crook R, Keeler G. Urethritis attributable to Neisseria meningitidis, group X: a case report. J Natl Med Assoc. 1979;71:845–6.
- Hayakawa K, Itoda I, Shimuta K, Takahashi H, Ohnishi M. Urethritis caused by novel Neisseria meningitidis serogroup W in man who has sex with men, Japan. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1585–7.
- Hagman M, Forslin L, Moi H, Danielsson D. Neisseria meningitidis in specimens from urogenital sites. Is increased awareness necessary? Sex Transm Dis. 1991;18:228–32.
- Shanmugaratnam K, Pattman RS. Acute urethritis due to Neisseria meningitidis. Genitourin Med. 1989;65:401–2.
- Bazan JA, Peterson AS, Kirkcaldy RD, Briere EC, Maierhofer C, Turner AN, et al. Notes from the field: Increase in Neisseria meningitidis–associated urethritis among men at two sentinel clinics—Columbus, Ohio, and Oakland County, Michigan, 2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65:550–2.
- Bratcher HB, Corton C, Jolley KA, Parkhill J, Maiden MC. A gene-by-gene population genomics platform: de novo assembly, annotation and genealogical analysis of 108 representative Neisseria meningitidis genomes. BMC Genomics. 2014;15:1138.
- Kumar S, Stecher G, Tamura K. MEGA7: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis version 7.0 for bigger datasets. Mol Biol Evol. 2016;33:1870–4.
- Harrison OB, Claus H, Jiang Y, Bennett JS, Bratcher HB, Jolley KA, et al. Description and nomenclature of Neisseria meningitidis capsule locus. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:566–73.
- Corless CE, Guiver M, Borrow R, Edwards-Jones V, Fox AJ, Kaczmarski EB. Simultaneous detection of Neisseria meningitidis, Haemophilus influenzae, and Streptococcus pneumoniae in suspected cases of meningitis and septicemia using real-time PCR. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:1553–8.
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: January 17, 2017
Page updated: January 17, 2017
Page reviewed: January 17, 2017
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.