Volume 23, Number 8—August 2017
Clonal Expansion of New Penicillin-Resistant Clade of Neisseria meningitidis Serogroup W Clonal Complex 11, Australia
- Maiden MC, Bygraves JA, Feil E, Morelli G, Russell JE, Urwin R, et al. Multilocus sequence typing: a portable approach to the identification of clones within populations of pathogenic microorganisms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:3140–5.
- Meningitis control in countries of the African meningitis belt, 2015. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2016;91:209–16.
- Caugant DA, Maiden MC. Meningococcal carriage and disease—population biology and evolution. Vaccine. 2009;27(Suppl 2):B64–70.
- Mowlaboccus S, Perkins TT, Smith H, Sloots T, Tozer S, Prempeh LJ, et al. Temporal changes in BEXSERO® antigen sequence type associated with genetic lineages of Neisseria meningitidis over a 15-year period in Western Australia. PLoS One. 2016;11:e0158315.
- Martin NV, Ong KS, Howden BP, Lahra MM, Lambert SB, Beard FH, et al.; Communicable Diseases Network Australia MenW Working Group. Rise in invasive serogroup W meningococcal disease in Australia 2013-2015. Commun Dis Intell Q Rep. 2016;40:E454–9.
- Carville KS, Stevens K, Sohail A, Franklin LJ, Bond KA, Brahmi A, et al. Increase in meningococcal serogroup W disease, Victoria, Australia, 2013–2015. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016;22:1785–7.
- Ladhani SN, Beebeejaun K, Lucidarme J, Campbell H, Gray S, Kaczmarski E, et al. Increase in endemic Neisseria meningitidis capsular group W sequence type 11 complex associated with severe invasive disease in England and Wales. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;60:578–85.
- Lucidarme J, Hill DM, Bratcher HB, Gray SJ, du Plessis M, Tsang RS, et al. Genomic resolution of an aggressive, widespread, diverse and expanding meningococcal serogroup B, C and W lineage. J Infect. 2015;71:544–52.
- Oppenheim BA. Antibiotic resistance in Neisseria meningitidis. Clin Infect Dis. 1997;24(Suppl 1):S98–101.
- Zapun A, Morlot C, Taha MK. Resistance to β-lactams in Neisseria ssp due to chromosomally encoded penicillin-binding proteins. Antibiotics (Basel). 2016;5:E35.
- Turner PC, Southern KW, Spencer NJ, Pullen H. Treatment failure in meningococcal meningitis. Lancet. 1990;335:732–3.
- Jolley KA, Maiden MC. BIGSdb: Scalable analysis of bacterial genome variation at the population level. BMC Bioinformatics. 2010;11:595.
- Bond KA, Stevens K, Bulach D, Carville K, Ong KS, Howden BP. Rising incidence of invasive meningococcal disease caused by Neisseria meningitidis serogroup W in Victoria. Med J Aust. 2016;204:265–6.
- Bratcher HB, Corton C, Jolley KA, Parkhill J, Maiden MC. A gene-by-gene population genomics platform: de novo assembly, annotation and genealogical analysis of 108 representative Neisseria meningitidis genomes. BMC Genomics. 2014;15:1138.
- Harrison OB, Clemence M, Dillard JP, Tang CM, Trees D, Grad YH, et al. Genomic analyses of Neisseria gonorrhoeae reveal an association of the gonococcal genetic island with antimicrobial resistance. J Infect. 2016;73:578–87.
Page created: July 17, 2017
Page updated: July 17, 2017
Page reviewed: July 17, 2017
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.