Volume 23, Number 9—September 2017
Influenza A(H3N2) Virus in Swine at Agricultural Fairs and Transmission to Humans, Michigan and Ohio, USA, 2016
|H3 genotype 1, n = 2||trig||trig||trig||Swine cluster IV-A||trig||2002||pdm||trig|
|Human-like H3, n = 11||trig||trig||trig||Human-like H3||trig||2002||pdm||Trig|
*Genomic constellations of 13 influenza A virus isolates from swine are organized by the 8 gene segments of the influenza A virus genome with HA categorized as derived from the 2010–11 human seasonal H3N2 virus (human-like H3) or the established swine lineage H3N2 (cluster IV-A). The 6 internal gene segments (PB2, PB1, PA, NP, M, NS) are classified as originating from either the 1998 triple-reassortant internal gene (trig) or influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 (pdm). All NA genes were descendants of the 2002 N2 lineage common among North American swine (12). HA, hemagglutinin; M, matrix; NA, neuraminidase; NP, nucleoprotein; NS, nonstructural protein; PA, polymerase acidic; PB, polymerase basic.
- Jhung MA, Epperson S, Biggerstaff M, Allen D, Balish A, Barnes N, et al. Outbreak of variant influenza A(H3N2) virus in the United States. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;57:1703–12.
- Schicker RS, Rossow J, Eckel S, Fisher N, Bidol S, Tatham L, et al. Outbreak of influenza A(H3N2) Variant virus infections among persons attending agricultural fairs housing infected swine—Michigan and Ohio, July–August 2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65:1157–60.
- Bowman AS, Nolting JM, Nelson SW, Slemons RD. Subclinical influenza virus A infections in pigs exhibited at agricultural fairs, Ohio, USA, 2009-2011. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:1945–50.
- Nolting JM, Szablewski CM, Edwards JL, Nelson SW, Bowman AS. Nasal wipes for influenza A virus detection and isolation from swine. J Vis Exp. 2015; (
- Edwards JL, Nelson SW, Workman JD, Slemons RD, Szablewski CM, Nolting JM, et al. Utility of snout wipe samples for influenza A virus surveillance in exhibition swine populations. Influenza Other Respi Viruses. 2014;8:574–9.
- Bowman AS, Nelson SW, Page SL, Nolting JM, Killian ML, Sreevatsan S, et al. Swine-to-human transmission of influenza A(H3N2) virus at agricultural fairs, Ohio, USA, 2012. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1472–80.
- Bowman AS, Sreevatsan S, Killian ML, Page SL, Nelson SW, Nolting JM, et al. Molecular evidence for interspecies transmission of H3N2pM/H3N2v influenza A viruses at an Ohio agricultural fair, July 2012. Emerg Microbes Infect. 2012;1:e33.
- Katoh K, Standley DM. MAFFT multiple sequence alignment software version 7: improvements in performance and usability. Mol Biol Evol. 2013;30:772–80.
- Kumar S, Stecher G, Tamura K. MEGA7: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis version 7.0 for bigger datasets. Mol Biol Evol. 2016;33:1870–4.
- Nguyen LT, Schmidt HA, von Haeseler A, Minh BQ. IQ-TREE: a fast and effective stochastic algorithm for estimating maximum-likelihood phylogenies. Mol Biol Evol. 2015;32:268–74.
- Minh BQ, Nguyen MA, von Haeseler A. Ultrafast approximation for phylogenetic bootstrap. Mol Biol Evol. 2013;30:1188–95.
- Kitikoon P, Nelson MI, Killian ML, Anderson TK, Koster L, Culhane MR, et al. Genotype patterns of contemporary reassorted H3N2 virus in US swine. J Gen Virol. 2013;94:1236–41.
- Rajão DS, Gauger PC, Anderson TK, Lewis NS, Abente EJ, Killian ML, et al. Novel reassortant human-like H3N2 and H3N1 influenza A viruses detected in pigs are virulent and antigenically distinct from swine viruses endemic to the United States. J Virol. 2015;89:11213–22.
- Nelson MI, Stucker KM, Schobel SA, Trovão NS, Das SR, Dugan VG, et al. Introduction, evolution, and dissemination of influenza A viruses in exhibition swine in the United States during 2009 to 2013. J Virol. 2016;90:10963–71.
- Choi MJ, Torremorell M, Bender JB, Smith K, Boxrud D, Ertl JR, et al. Live animal markets in Minnesota: a potential source for emergence of novel influenza A Viruses and interspecies transmission. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;61:1355–62.