Volume 24, Number 11—November 2018
Fatal Case of Diphtheria and Risk for Reemergence, Singapore
- Tiwari TS, Wharton M. Diphtheria toxoid. In: Plotkin SA, Orenstein WA, Offit P, editors. Plotkin’s vaccines. 7th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2017. p. 261–75.
- World Health Organization. Immunization, vaccines and biologicals: data, statistics and graphs [cited 2018 Apr 9]. http://www.who.int/immunization/monitoring_surveillance/data/en/
- Clarke KE. Review of the epidemiology of diphtheria, 2000–2016 [cited 2018 Apr 9]. http://www.who.int/immunization/sage/meetings/2017/april/1_Final_report_Clarke_april3.pdf?ua=1
- Berger A, Meinel DM, Schaffer A, Ziegler R, Pitteroff J, Konrad R, et al. A case of pharyngeal diphtheria in Germany, June 2015. Infection. 2016;44:673–5.
- Rasmussen I, Wallace S, Mengshoel AT, Høiby EA, Brandtzæg P. Diphtheria outbreak in Norway: lessons learned. Scand J Infect Dis. 2011;43:986–9.
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. A case of diphtheria in Spain, June 15, 2015 [cited 2018 Aug 15]. https://ecdc.europa.eu/sites/portal/files/media/en/publications/Publications/diphtheria-spain-rapid-risk-assessment-june-2015.pdf
- Perkins S, Cordery R, Nixon G, Abrahams A, Andrews J, White J, et al. Investigations and control measures following a non-travel-associated case of toxigenic Cornyebacterium diphtheriae, London, United Kingdom, December 2009-January 2010. Euro Surveill. 2010;15:19544.
- Ministry of Health Singapore. Communicable diseases surveillance in Singapore 2016 [cited 2018 Apr 9]. https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/dam/moh_web/Publications/Reports/2017/Full%20Version.pdf
- Nakao H, Pruckler JM, Mazurova IK, Narvskaia OV, Glushkevich T, Marijevski VF, et al. Heterogeneity of diphtheria toxin gene, tox, and its regulatory element, dtxR, in Corynebacterium diphtheriae strains causing epidemic diphtheria in Russia and Ukraine. J Clin Microbiol. 1996;34:1711–6.
- Kumar S, Stecher G, Tamura K. MEGA7: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis version 7.0 for bigger datasets. Mol Biol Evol. 2016;33:1870–4.
- Diphtheria Guidelines Working Group, Public Health England. Public health control and management of diphtheria (in England and Wales), 2015 guidelines [cited 2018 Aug 15]. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/diphtheria-public-health-control-and-management-in-england-and-wales
- Lumio J, Suomalainen P, Olander RM, Saxén H, Salo E. Fatal case of diphtheria in an unvaccinated infant in Finland. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2003;22:844–6.
- Farizo KM, Strebel PM, Chen RT, Kimbler A, Cleary TJ, Cochi SL. Fatal respiratory disease due to Corynebacterium diphtheriae: case report and review of guidelines for management, investigation, and control. Clin Infect Dis. 1993;16:59–68.
- Bowler IC, Mandal BK, Schlecht B, Riordan T. Diphtheria—the continuing hazard. Arch Dis Child. 1988;63:194–5.
- Simmons LE, Abbott JD, Macaulay ME, Jones AE, Ironside AG, Mandal BK, et al. Diphtheria carriers in Manchester: simultaneous infection with toxigenic and non-toxigenic mitis strains. Lancet. 1980;1:304–5.
Page created: October 16, 2018
Page updated: October 16, 2018
Page reviewed: October 16, 2018
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.