Volume 24, Number 7—July 2018
CME ACTIVITY - Research
Epidemiology and Geographic Distribution of Blastomycosis, Histoplasmosis, and Coccidioidomycosis, Ontario, Canada, 1990–2015
- Benedict K, Thompson GR III, Deresinski S, Chiller T. Mycotic infections acquired outside areas of known endemicity, United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:1935–41.
- Pfaller MA, Diekema DJ. Epidemiology of invasive mycoses in North America. Crit Rev Microbiol. 2010;36:1–53.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Reportable fungal diseases by state. 6 Mar 2017 [cited 2017 Sep 7]. https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/fungal-disease-reporting-table.html
- Morris SK, Brophy J, Richardson SE, Summerbell R, Parkin PC, Jamieson F, et al. Blastomycosis in Ontario, 1994-2003. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:274–9.
- Dalcin D, Ahmed SZ. Blastomycosis in northwestern Ontario, 2004 to 2014. Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol. 2015;26:259–62.
- Dwight PJ, Naus M, Sarsfield P, Limerick B. An outbreak of human blastomycosis: the epidemiology of blastomycosis in the Kenora catchment region of Ontario, Canada. Can Commun Dis Rep. 2000;26:82–91.
- Roy M, Benedict K, Deak E, Kirby MA, McNiel JT, Sickler CJ, et al. A large community outbreak of blastomycosis in Wisconsin with geographic and ethnic clustering. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;57:655–62.
- Enoch DA, Yang H, Aliyu SH, Micallef C. The changing epidemiology of invasive fungal infections. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1508:17–65.
- Litvintseva AP, Marsden-Haug N, Hurst S, Hill H, Gade L, Driebe EM, et al. Valley fever: finding new places for an old disease: Coccidioides immitis found in Washington State soil associated with recent human infection. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;60:e1–3.
- Pfaff BL, Agger WA, Volk TJ. Blastomycosis diagnosed in a nonhyperendemic area. WMJ. 2014;113:11, 8; quiz 19.
- Greer A, Ng V, Fisman D. Climate change and infectious diseases in North America: the road ahead. CMAJ. 2008;178:715–22.
- Chu JH, Feudtner C, Heydon K, Walsh TJ, Zaoutis TE. Hospitalizations for endemic mycoses: a population-based national study. [</jrn>]. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;42:822–5 . https://doi.org/10.1086/500405
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Increase in reported coccidioidomycosis—United States, 1998-2011. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013;62:217–21.
- Seitz AE, Younes N, Steiner CA, Prevots DR. Incidence and trends of blastomycosis-associated hospitalizations in the United States. PLoS One. 2014;9:e105466.
- Baddley JW, Winthrop KL, Patkar NM, Delzell E, Beukelman T, Xie F, et al. Geographic distribution of endemic fungal infections among older persons, United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:1664–9.
- Benedict K, Mody RK. Epidemiology of histoplasmosis outbreaks, United States, 1938–2013. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016;22:370–8.
- Luo R, Greenberg A, Stone CD. Hospitalized burden and outcomes of coccidioidomycosis: A nationwide analysis, 2005-2012. Med Mycol. 2017;55:368–74.
- Lee PP, Lau YL. Cellular and molecular defects underlying invasive fungal infections—revelations from endemic mycoses. Front Immunol. 2017;8:735.
- Nicolle L, Rotstein C, Bourgault A, St-Germain G, Garber G; Canadian Infectious Diseases Society Invasive Fungal Registry. Invasive fungal infections in Canada from 1992 to 1994. Can J Infect Dis. 1998;9:347–52.
- Kane J, Righter J, Krajden S, Lester RS. Blastomycosis: a new endemic focus in Canada. Can Med Assoc J. 1983;129:728–31.
- Crampton TL, Light RB, Berg GM, Meyers MP, Schroeder GC, Hershfield ES, et al. Epidemiology and clinical spectrum of blastomycosis diagnosed at Manitoba hospitals. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;34:1310–6.
- St-Germain G, Murray G, Duperval R. Blastomycosis in Quebec (1981-90): Report of 23 cases and review of published cases from Quebec. Can J Infect Dis. 1993;4:89–94.
- Litvinjenko S, Lunny D. Blastomycosis hospitalizations in northwestern Ontario: 2006-2015. Can Commun Dis Rep. 2017;43:200–5.
- Population and public health branch. Summary of reportable diseases 1990. Toronto: Communicable Diseases Control, Ontario Ministry of Health; 1991.
- Lester RS, DeKoven JG, Kane J, Simor AE, Krajden S, Summerbell RC. Novel cases of blastomycosis acquired in Toronto, Ontario. CMAJ. 2000;163:1309–12.
- Litvinov IV, St-Germain G, Pelletier R, Paradis M, Sheppard DC. Endemic human blastomycosis in Quebec, Canada, 1988-2011. Epidemiol Infect. 2013;141:1143–7.
- Harasen GL, Randall JW. Canine blastomycosis in southern Saskatchewan. Can Vet J. 1986;27:375–8.
- Brown EL. Histoplasmosis in Southern Ontario: a further report. Can Med Assoc J. 1962;87:545–51.
- Jessamine AG, Macbeth ME, Davies JW. Histoplasmosis in eastern Ontario. Can J Public Health. 1966;57:18–24.
- Bilgi C. Pulmonary histoplasmosis: a review of 50 cases. Can Fam Physician. 1980;26:225–30.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Histoplasmosis outbreak associated with the renovation of an old house - Quebec, Canada, 2013. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;62:1041–4.
- Dufresne P, Dufresne S, Tremblay C. St-Germain. Risk group 3 (RG3) mycoses in Quebec: a retrospective of documented cases (1988 to 2012). Presented at: Canadian Association for Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases—Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Canada 2013 Annual Conference; April 4–6, 2013; Quebec City, Quebec, Canada.
- Statistics Canada. Census datasets. 2017 Jul 14 [cited 2017 Sep 9]. http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/datasets/Index-eng.cfm
- Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. IntelliHEALTH Ontario. Population estimates 2014–2015. Toronto: The Ministry; 2016
- Bruce Light R, Kralt D, Embil JM, Trepman E, Wiebe L, Limerick B, et al. Seasonal variations in the clinical presentation of pulmonary and extrapulmonary blastomycosis. Med Mycol. 2008;46:835–41.
- Statistics Canada. Health region boundary files. 2011 27 Nov [cited 2015 Apr 24]. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-402-x/2011001/reg-eng.htm.
- Statistics Canada. 2016 census boundary files. 2017 Jan 16 [cited 2017 Sep 9]. http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/geo/bound-limit/bound-limit-2016-eng.cfm
- Government of Ontario. Summary of proposed amendments to regulations made under the Health Protection and Promotion Act, December 12, 2017. 2017 Dec 29 [cited 2018 Feb 27]. http://www.ontariocanada.com/registry/showAttachment.do?postingId=25946&attachmentId=36128
- Klein BS, Vergeront JM, Weeks RJ, Kumar UN, Mathai G, Varkey B, et al. Isolation of Blastomyces dermatitidis in soil associated with a large outbreak of blastomycosis in Wisconsin. N Engl J Med. 1986;314:529–34.
- Northwestern Health Unit. Blastomycosis advisory: action required. 2017 Feb 16 [cited 2017 Sep 9]. https://www.nwhu.on.ca/Audiences/Documents/Health%20Information%20Advisory%20-%20Blastomycosis.pdf
- Sudbury and District Health Unit. Cluster of pediatric blastomycosis cases: advisory alert. 2017 Sep 9 [cited 2017 Oct 24]. https://www.sdhu.com/professionals/health-professionals/advisory-alerts-health-care-professionals/cluster-pediatric-blastomycosis-cases
- Minnesota Department of Health. Human blastomycosis cases in Minnesota by county of residence, 1999–2016, (n = 582). 2018 Feb 20 [cited 2018 Feb 27]. http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/diseases/blastomycosis/humanblastores.pdf
- Baumgardner DJ, Brockman K. Epidemiology of human blastomycosis in Vilas County, Wisconsin. II: 1991-1996. WMJ. 1998;97:44–7.
- Bernstein S, Brunner HI, Summerbell R, Allen U, Babyn P, Richardson SE. Blastomycosis acquired by three children in Toronto. Can J Infect Dis. 2002;13:259–63.
- Bakerspigel A, Kane J, Schaus D. Isolation of Blastomyces dermatitidis from an earthen floor in southwestern Ontario, Canada. J Clin Microbiol. 1986;24:890–1.
- Chapman SW. Blastomyces dermatitidis. In: Mandell GL, Bennell JE, Dolin R, editors. Principles and practice of infectious diseases. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2005. p. 3026–40.
- Kauffman CA. Histoplasmosis: a clinical and laboratory update. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2007;20:115–32.
- Sekhon AS, Isaac-Renton J, Dixon JM, Stein L, Sims HV. Review of human and animal cases of coccidioidomycosis diagnosed in Canada. Mycopathologia. 1991;113:1–10.
- Cooksey GS, Nguyen A, Knutson K, Tabnak F, Benedict K, McCotter O, et al. Notes from the field: Increase in coccidioidomycosis—California, 2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017;66:833–4.
- Bariola JR, Perry P, Pappas PG, Proia L, Shealey W, Wright PW, et al. Blastomycosis of the central nervous system: a multicenter review of diagnosis and treatment in the modern era. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50:797–804.
1These first authors contributed equally to this article.
2These senior responsible authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: June 14, 2018
Page updated: June 14, 2018
Page reviewed: June 14, 2018
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.