Volume 25, Number 10—October 2019
Prevalence of Tuberculosis in Children After Natural Disasters, Bohol, Philippines
|Less affected area||213,899||2,766||195||7.0 (6.1–8.0)|
|Bien Unido||25,782||162||17||10.5 (5.7–15.3)|
|Pres. Carlos P. Garcia||23,269||212||29||13.7 (9.0–18.3)|
*TST, tuberculin skin test.
†Heavily affected and less affected areas each comprised 100 clusters/700 households.
‡Population is based on the 2010 national census (7).
§TST positives include all tuberculosis cases, including the 1 child with tuberculosis who was TST negative because of malnutrition.
- Philippine Humanitarian Country Team UNOftCoHA. Philippines: Bohol earthquake action plan (revised). January 2014 [cited 2018 Nov 30]. https://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/Bohol%20Earthquake%20Action%20Plan%20%28BEAP%29%20Revision%20FINAL.pdf
- Survey MotPNTP. 2016 National Tuberculosis Prevalence Survey for the Department of Health, Philippines [cited 2019 Jan 22]. http://ntp.doh.gov.ph/downloads/publications/NTPS2016.pdf
- Kanamori H, Hatakeyama T, Uchiyama B, Weber DJ, Takeuchi M, Endo S, et al. Clinical and molecular epidemiological features of tuberculosis after the 2011 Japan earthquake and tsunami. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2016;20:505–14.
- Moss WJ, Ramakrishnan M, Storms D, Henderson Siegle A, Weiss WM, Lejnev I, et al. Child health in complex emergencies. Bull World Health Organ. 2006;84:58–64.
- Bohol-Philippines.com Best Ecotourism Destinations. Bohol Islands [cited 2019 Apr 26]. https://www.bohol-philippines.com/bohol-island.html
- Republic of the Philippines Department of Health. What is GIDA? [cited 2019 Jan 22]. https://www.doh.gov.ph/node/1154
- Republic of the Philippines National Statistics Office. 2010 Census of population and housing. Report no. 2A. Demographic and housing characteristics (non-sample variables). Bohol [cited 2018 Nov 30]. https://psa.gov.ph/sites/default/files/BOHOL_FINAL%20PDF.pdf
- World Health Organisation. Philippines: WHO and UNICEF estimates of immunization coverage: 2017 revision [cited 2019 Apr 24]. https://www.who.int/immunization/monitoring_surveillance/data/phl.pdf
- Bennett S, Woods T, Liyanage WM, Smith DL. A simplified general method for cluster-sample surveys of health in developing countries. World Health Stat Q. 1991;44:98–106.
- Vianzon R, Garfin AM, Lagos A, Belen R. The tuberculosis profile of the Philippines, 2003-2011: advancing DOTS and beyond. Western Pac Surveill Response J. 2013;4:11–6.
- PhilHealth. National Tuberculosis Control Program, manual of procedures. 5th ed. [cited 2018 Dec 3]. https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/partners/providers/pdf/NTCP_MoP2014.pdf
- Graham SM, Cuevas LE, Jean-Philippe P, Browning R, Casenghi M, Detjen AK, et al. Clinical case definitions for classification of intrathoracic tuberculosis in children: an update. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;61(Suppl 3):S179–87.
- Barr RG, Menzies R. The effect of war on tuberculosis. Results of a tuberculin survey among displaced persons in El Salvador and a review of the literature. Tuber Lung Dis. 1994;75:251–9.
- Toole MJ, Waldman RJ. Refugees and displaced persons. War, hunger, and public health. JAMA. 1993;270:600–5.
- Coninx R. Tuberculosis in complex emergencies. Bull World Health Organ. 2007;85:637–40.
- Howley MM, Painter JA, Katz DJ, Graviss EA, Reves R, Beavers SF, et al.; Tuberculosis Epidemiologic Studies Consortium. Evaluation of QuantiFERON-TB gold in-tube and tuberculin skin tests among immigrant children being screened for latent tuberculosis infection. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2015;34:35–9.
- Aguirre CA. Philippines childhood immunization schedule, 2016 [cited 2018 Dec 3]. http://www.pidsphil.org/pdf/2016/16LEC-10-PIDSP-Immunization-Schedule-2016-Aguirre.pdf
- Zwerling A, Behr MA, Verma A, Brewer TF, Menzies D, Pai M. The BCG World Atlas: a database of global BCG vaccination policies and practices. PLoS Med. 2011;8:
- Jenkins HE, Gegia M, Furin J, Kalandadze I, Nanava U, Chakhaia T, et al. Geographical heterogeneity of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Georgia, January 2009 to June 2011. Euro Surveill. 2014;19:20743.
- Winston CA, Menzies HJ. Pediatric and adolescent tuberculosis in the United States, 2008-2010. Pediatrics. 2012;130:e1425–32.
- Furin J, Mathew T. Tuberculosis control in acute disaster settings: case studies from the 2010 Haiti earthquake. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2013;7:129–30.
- Bieberly J, Ali J. Treatment adherence of the latently infected tuberculosis population (post-Katrina) at Wetmore TB Clinic, New Orleans, USA. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2008;12:1134–8.
1Additional members of the PEER Health Bohol Pediatric Study Team who contributed data are listed at the end of this article.