Volume 25, Number 6—June 2019
Equine Influenza Virus—A Neglected, Reemergent Disease Threat
- Karamendin K, Kydyrmanov A, Kasymbekov Y, Khan E, Daulbayeva K, Asanova S, et al. Continuing evolution of equine influenza virus in Central Asia, 2007-2012. Arch Virol. 2014;159:2321–7.
- Motoshima M, Okamatsu M, Asakura S, Kuribayashi S, Sengee S, Batchuluun D, et al. Antigenic and genetic analysis of H3N8 influenza viruses isolated from horses in Japan and Mongolia, and imported from Canada and Belgium during 2007-2010. Arch Virol. 2011;156:1379–85.
- Morens DM, Taubenberger JK. Pandemic influenza: certain uncertainties. Rev Med Virol. 2011;21:262–84.
- Perglione CO, Gildea S, Rimondi A, Miño S, Vissani A, Carossino M, et al. Epidemiological and virological findings during multiple outbreaks of equine influenza in South America in 2012. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2016;10:37–46.
- Powell DG, Watkins KL, Li PH, Shortridge KF. Outbreak of equine influenza among horses in Hong Kong during 1992. Vet Rec. 1995;136:531–6.
- Patterson-Kane JC, Carrick JB, Axon JE, Wilkie I, Begg AP. The pathology of bronchointerstitial pneumonia in young foals associated with the first outbreak of equine influenza in Australia. Equine Vet J. 2008;40:199–203.
- Madić J, Martinović S, Naglić T, Hajsig D, Cvetnić S. Serological evidence for the presence of A/equine-1 influenza virus in unvaccinated horses in Croatia. Vet Rec. 1996;138:68.
- World Organisation for Animal Health. OIE Expert Surveillance Panel on Equine Influenza Vaccine Composition. 2018 March 22. Conclusions and recommendations. 2018 [cited 2018 Dec 22]. http://www.oie.int/our-scientific-expertise/specific-information-and-recommendations/equine-influenza
- Sovinova O, Tumova B, Pouska F, Nemec J. Isolation of a virus causing respiratory disease in horses. Acta Virol. 1958;2:52–61.
- Bryant NA, Rash AS, Woodward AL, Medcalf E, Helwegen M, Wohlfender F, et al. Isolation and characterisation of equine influenza viruses (H3N8) from Europe and North America from 2008 to 2009. Vet Microbiol. 2011;147:19–27.
- Bryant NA, Rash AS, Russell CA, Ross J, Cooke A, Bowman S, et al. Antigenic and genetic variations in European and North American equine influenza virus strains (H3N8) isolated from 2006 to 2007. Vet Microbiol. 2009;138:41–52.
- Morens DM, Taubenberger JK. Historical thoughts on influenza viral ecosystems, or behold a pale horse, dead dogs, failing fowl, and sick swine. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2010;4:327–37.
- Xie T, Anderson BD, Daramragchaa U, Chuluunbaatar M, Gray GC. A review of evidence that equine influenza viruses are zoonotic. Pathogens. 2016;5:50.
- Judson AB. History and course of the epizoötic among horses upon the North American continent in 1872–73. Public Health Pap Rep. 1873;1:88–109.
- Cullinane A, Elton D, Mumford J. Equine influenza - surveillance and control. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2010;4:339–44.
- American Association of Equine Practitioners. Risk-based vaccination guidelines: equine influenza. 2017 [cited 2018 Aug 27]. https://aaep.org/guidelines/vaccination-guidelines/risk-based-vaccination-guidelines/equine-influenza.
- World Organisation for Animal Health. OIE Expert Surveillance Panel on Equine Influenza Vaccine Composition. 2006–2016. Conclusions and recommendations. 2016 [cited 2018 April 8]. https://doc.oie.int/dyn/portal/index.seam?fonds=0&req=5&page=listalo&va_0=%22surveillance+panel%22
- Smyth GB, Dagley K, Tainsh J. Insights into the economic consequences of the 2007 equine influenza outbreak in Australia. Aust Vet J. 2011;89(Suppl 1):151–8.
- Firestone SM, Cogger N, Ward MP, Toribio J-ALML, Moloney BJ, Dhand NK. The influence of meteorology on the spread of influenza: survival analysis of an equine influenza (A/H3N8) outbreak. PLoS One. 2012;7:
- Watson J, Daniels P, Kirkland P, Carroll A, Jeggo M. The 2007 outbreak of equine influenza in Australia: lessons learned for international trade in horses. Rev Sci Tech. 2011;30:87–93.
- Yondon M, Heil GL, Burks JP, Zayat B, Waltzek TB, Jamiyan BO, et al. Isolation and characterization of H3N8 equine influenza A virus associated with the 2011 epizootic in Mongolia. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2013;7:659–65.
- Qi T, Guo W, Huang W, Dai L, Zhao L, Li H, et al. Isolation and genetic characterization of H3N8 equine influenza virus from donkeys in China. Vet Microbiol. 2010;144:455–60.
- Yin X, Lu G, Guo W, Qi T, Ma J, Zhu C, et al. Identification of equine influenza virus infection in Asian wild horses (Equus przewalskii). Arch Virol. 2014;159:1159–62.
- Gilchrist P, Sergeant ESG. Risk of an equine influenza virus reservoir establishing in wild horses in New South Wales during the Australian epidemic. Aust Vet J. 2011;89 Suppl 1(1):75.
- Crawford PC, Dubovi EJ, Castleman WL, Stephenson I, Gibbs EPJ, Chen L, et al. Transmission of equine influenza virus to dogs. Science. 2005;310:482–5.
- Crispe E, Finlaison DS, Hurt AC, Kirkland PD. Infection of dogs with equine influenza virus: evidence for transmission from horses during the Australian outbreak. Aust Vet J. 2011;89 Suppl 1(s1):27–8.
- Daly JM, Blunden AS, Macrae S, Miller J, Bowman SJ, Kolodziejek J, et al. Transmission of equine influenza virus to English foxhounds. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:461–4.
- Tu J, Zhou H, Jiang T, Li C, Zhang A, Guo X, et al. Isolation and molecular characterization of equine H3N8 influenza viruses from pigs in China. Arch Virol. 2009;154:887–90.
- Su S, Wang L, Fu X, He S, Hong M, Zhou P, et al. Equine influenza A(H3N8) virus infection in cats. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:2096–9.
- Yondon M, Zayat B, Nelson MI, Heil GL, Anderson BD, Lin X, et al. Equine influenza A(H3N8) virus isolated from Bactrian camel, Mongolia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:2144–7.
- Guo Y, Wang M, Kawaoka Y, Gorman O, Ito T, Saito T, et al. Characterization of a new avian-like influenza A virus from horses in China. Virology. 1992;188:245–55.
- Guo Y, Wang M, Zheng GS, Li WK, Kawaoka Y, Webster RG. Seroepidemiological and molecular evidence for the presence of two H3N8 equine influenza viruses in China in 1993-94. J Gen Virol. 1995;76:2009–14.
- Abdel-Moneim AS, Abdel-Ghany AE, Shany SA. Isolation and characterization of highly pathogenic avian influenza virus subtype H5N1 from donkeys. J Biomed Sci. 2010;17:25.
- Kasel JA, Couch RB. Experimental infection in man and horses with influenza A viruses. Bull World Health Organ. 1969;41:447–52.
- Alford RH, Kasel JA, Lehrich JR, Knight V. Human responses to experimental infection with influenza A/Equi 2 virus. Am J Epidemiol. 1967;86:185–92.
- Masurel N, Mulder J. Studies on the content of antibodies for equine influenza viruses in human sera. Bull World Health Organ. 1966;34:885–93.
- Bean WJ, Schell M, Katz J, Kawaoka Y, Naeve C, Gorman O, et al. Evolution of the H3 influenza virus hemagglutinin from human and nonhuman hosts. J Virol. 1992;66:1129–38.
- Burnell FJ, Holmes MA, Roiko AH, Lowe JB, Heil GL, White SK, et al. Little evidence of human infection with equine influenza during the 2007 epizootic, Queensland, Australia. J Clin Virol. 2014;59:100–3.
- Khurelbaatar N, Krueger WS, Heil GL, Darmaa B, Ulziimaa D, Tserennorov D, et al. Little evidence of avian or equine influenza virus infection among a cohort of Mongolian adults with animal exposures, 2010-2011. PLoS One. 2014;9:
- Larson KRL, Heil GL, Chambers TM, Capuano A, White SK, Gray GC. Serological evidence of equine influenza infections among persons with horse exposure, Iowa. J Clin Virol. 2015;67:78–83.
- Berríos P. [Equine influenza in Chile (1963-1992): a possible human case] [in Spanish]. Rev Chilena Infectol. 2005;22:47–50.
- Lowen AC, Mubareka S, Steel J, Palese P. Influenza virus transmission is dependent on relative humidity and temperature. PLoS Pathog. 2007;3:1470–6.
- Davis J, Garner MG, East IJ. Analysis of local spread of equine influenza in the Park Ridge region of Queensland. Transbound Emerg Dis. 2009;56:31–8.
- Brown JD, Swayne DE, Cooper RJ, Burns RE, Stallknecht DE. Persistence of H5 and H7 avian influenza viruses in water. Avian Dis. 2007;51(Suppl):285–9.
- Scholtens RG, Steele JH, Dowdle WR, Yarbrough WB, Robinson RQUS. Epizootic of equine influenza, 1963. Public Health Rep. 1964;79:393–402.
- Crouch CF, Daly J, Hannant D, Wilkins J, Francis MJ. Immune responses and protective efficacy in ponies immunised with an equine influenza ISCOM vaccine containing an ‘American lineage’ H3N8 virus. Vaccine. 2004;23:418–25.
- Barquero N, Daly JM, Newton JR. Risk factors for influenza infection in vaccinated racehorses: lessons from an outbreak in Newmarket, UK in 2003. Vaccine. 2007;25:7520–9.
- Elton D, Bryant N. Facing the threat of equine influenza. Equine Vet J. 2011;43:250–8.
- Perkins NR, Webster WR, Wright T, Denney I, Links I. Vaccination program in the response to the 2007 equine influenza outbreak in Australia. Aust Vet J. 2011;89 Suppl 1(1):126.
- Binns MM. Genetic and antigenic analysis of an equine influenza H3 isolate from the 1989 epidemic. [Erratum in: Arch Vriol. 1993;133:235–7]. Arch Virol. 1993;133:235–7.
Page created: May 19, 2019
Page updated: May 19, 2019
Page reviewed: May 19, 2019
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.