Volume 26, Number 7—July 2020
Case Manifestations and Public Health Response for Outbreak of Meningococcal W Disease, Central Australia, 2017
|Diagnostic category (reference)||Clinical signs/symptoms||Site of MenW isolation by culture or PCR||Additional investigations|
|Meningococcemia (28,29)||Fever (temperature >38°C) without a focus||Blood||None|
|Meningitis||Fever; any signs of meningism (e.g., headache, neck stiffness, photophobia)||CSF||None|
|Bacteremic pneumonia (7,26,27)||Fever; cough||Blood||Radiologic consolidation by chest radiograph|
|Septic arthritis (7)||Fever; joint pain and swelling||Synovial fluid||None|
|Conjunctivitis (10,11)||Conjunctival inflammation with purulent discharge||Eye discharge||None|
*CSF, cerebrospinal fluid; MenW, serogroup W of Neisseria meningitidis.
- Borrow R, Alarcón P, Carlos J, Caugant DA, Christensen H, Debbag R, et al.; Global Meningococcal Initiative. The Global Meningococcal Initiative: global epidemiology, the impact of vaccines on meningococcal disease and the importance of herd protection. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2017;16:313–28.
- Manchanda V, Gupta S, Bhalla P. Meningococcal disease: history, epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, antimicrobial susceptibility and prevention. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2006;24:7–19.
- Veitch MG, Owen RL. Rise in invasive serogroup W meningococcal disease in Australia 2013-2015. Commun Dis Intell Q Rep. 2016;40:E451–3.
- Lewis LA, Ram S. Meningococcal disease and the complement system. Virulence. 2014;5:98–126.
- Thompson MJ, Ninis N, Perera R, Mayon-White R, Phillips C, Bailey L, et al. Clinical recognition of meningococcal disease in children and adolescents. Lancet. 2006;367:397–403.
- Martin NV, Ong KS, Howden BP, Lahra MM, Lambert SB, Beard FH, et al.; Communicable Diseases Network Australia MenW Working Group. Rise in invasive serogroup W meningococcal disease in Australia 2013-2015. Commun Dis Intell Q Rep. 2016;40:E454–9.
- Vienne P, Ducos-Galand M, Guiyoule A, Pires R, Giorgini D, Taha M-K, et al. The role of particular strains of Neisseria meningitidis in meningococcal arthritis, pericarditis, and pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;37:1639–42.
- Campbell H, Parikh SR, Borrow R, Kaczmarski E, Ramsay ME, Ladhani SN. Presentation with gastrointestinal symptoms and high case fatality associated with group W meningococcal disease (MenW) in teenagers, England, July 2015 to January 2016. Euro Surveill. 2016;21:1–4.
- Schaad UB. Arthritis in disease due to Neisseria meningitidis. Rev Infect Dis. 1980;2:880–8.
- Barquet N, Gasser I, Domingo P, Moraga FA, Macaya A, Elcuaz R. Primary meningococcal conjunctivitis: report of 21 patients and review. Rev Infect Dis. 1990;12:838–47.
- Orden B, Martínez R, Millán R, Belloso M, Pérez N. Primary meningococcal conjunctivitis. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2003;9:1245–7.
- Lingappa JR, Al-Rabeah AM, Hajjeh R, Mustafa T, Fatani A, Al-Bassam T, et al. Serogroup W-135 meningococcal disease during the Hajj, 2000. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003;9:665–71.
- Yezli S, Assiri AM, Alhakeem RF, Turkistani AM, Alotaibi B. Meningococcal disease during the Hajj and Umrah mass gatherings. Int J Infect Dis. 2016;47:60–4.
- Ladhani SN, Ramsay M, Borrow R, Riordan A, Watson JM, Pollard AJ. Enter B and W: two new meningococcal vaccine programmes launched. Arch Dis Child. 2016;101:91–5.
- Smith-Palmer A, Oates K, Webster D, Taylor S, Scott KJ, Smith G, et al. IMT and investigation team in Sweden. Outbreak of Neisseria meningitidis capsular group W among scouts returning from the World Scout Jamboree, Japan, 2015. Euro Surveill. 2016;21:1–7.
- Nathan N, Rose AMC, Legros D, Tiendrebeogo SRM, Bachy C, Bjørløw E, et al. Meningitis serogroup W135 outbreak, Burkina Faso, 2002. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:920–3.
- von Gottberg A, du Plessis M, Cohen C, Prentice E, Schrag S, de Gouveia L, et al.; Group for Enteric, Respiratory and Meningeal Disease Surveillance in South Africa. Emergence of endemic serogroup W135 meningococcal disease associated with a high mortality rate in South Africa. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;46:377–86.
- Abad R, López EL, Debbag R, Vázquez JA. Serogroup W meningococcal disease: global spread and current affect on the Southern Cone in Latin America. Epidemiol Infect. 2014;142:2461–70.
- Campbell H, Saliba V, Borrow R, Ramsay M, Ladhani SN. Targeted vaccination of teenagers following continued rapid endemic expansion of a single meningococcal group W clone (sequence type 11 clonal complex), United Kingdom 2015. Euro Surveill. 2015;20:21188.
- Australian Government Department of Health. Invasive meningococcal disease national surveillance report, December 2017 [cited 2018 Jun 27]. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/5FEABC4B495BDEC1CA25807D001327FA/$File/1Jan-31-Dec2017-Consol-Invasive-Men-W.pdf
- National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance. History of vaccination in Australia, December 2017 [cited 2018 Jun 18]. http://www.ncirs.org.au/sites/default/files/2018-12/Meningococcal-history-Dec-2018.pdf
- Dolan Thomas J, Hatcher CP, Satterfield DA, Theodore MJ, Bach MC, Linscott KB, et al. sodC-based real-time PCR for detection of Neisseria meningitidis. PLoS One. 2011;6:
- Jordens JZ, Heckels JE. A novel porA-based real-time PCR for detection of meningococcal carriage. J Med Microbiol. 2005;54:463–6.
- Jolley KA, Brehony C, Maiden MC. Molecular typing of meningococci: recommendations for target choice and nomenclature. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2007;31:89–96.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. 2016 Census: Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples QuickStats [cited 2019 Aug 16]. https://quickstats.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2016/quickstat/IQS036
- Vossen M, Mitteregger D, Steininger C. Meningococcal pneumonia. Vaccine. 2016;34:4364–70.
- Romero-Gomez MP, Rentero Z, Paño JR, Mingorance J. Bacteraemic pneumonia caused by Neisseria meningitidis serogroup Y. Respir Med Case Rep. 2012;5:23–4.
- Centre for Disease Control. Meningococcal disease: signs and symptoms [cited 2019 Aug 22]. https://www.cdc.gov/meningococcal/about/symptoms.html
- Gaschignard J, Levy C, Deghmane AE, Dubos F, Muszlak M, Cohen R, et al. Invasive serogroup w meningococcal disease in children: a national survey from 2001 to 2008 in France. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2013;32:798–800.
- Communicable Diseases Network Australia. Invasive meningococcal disease CDNA national guidelines for public health units, 2017 [cited 2019 Aug 22]. https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/0A31EEC4953B7E6FCA257DA3000D19DD/$File/IMD-SoNG.pdf
- The Northern Territory Department of Health. Brief for the meningococcal outbreak task force. Darwin: The Department; 2018.
- Australian Government Department of Health. Meningococcal disease (invasive) public dataset. National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System [cited 2019 Aug 13]. http://www9.health.gov.au/cda/source/pub_menin.cfm
- PubMLST. Neisseria profile/sequence definitions database [cited 2019 Aug 15]. https://pubmlst.org/bigsdb?db=pubmlst_neisseria_seqdef
- Rosenstein NE, Perkins BA, Stephens DS, Lefkowitz L, Cartter ML, Danila R, et al. The changing epidemiology of meningococcal disease in the United States, 1992-1996. J Infect Dis. 1999;180:1894–901.
- Rosenstein NE, Perkins BA, Stephens DS, Popovic T, Hughes JM. Meningococcal disease. N Engl J Med. 2001;344:1378–88.
- Harley D, Hanna JN, Hills SL, Bates JR, Smith HV. Epidemiology of invasive meningococcal disease in north Queensland, 1995 to 1999. Commun Dis Intell Q Rep. 2002;26:44–50.
- Massey P, Durrheim D. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples at higher risk of invasive meningococcal disease in NSW. N S W Public Health Bull. 2008;19:100–3.
- Australian Government. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Vaccine preventable disease among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people [cited 2019 Aug 22]. https://www.aihw.gov.au/getmedia/2fca3ed6-d242-4454-a00f-e298dd120ccb/aihw-phe-236_ATSI.pdf.aspx
- Cuningham W, McVernon J, Lydeamore MJ, Andrews RM, Carapetis J, Kearns T, et al. High burden of infectious disease and antibiotic use in early life in Australian Aboriginal communities. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2019;43:149–55.
- Hendrickx D, Bowen AC, Marsh JA, Carapetis JR, Walker R. Ascertaining infectious disease burden through primary care clinic attendance among young Aboriginal children living in four remote communities in Western Australia. PLoS One. 2018;13:
- Parnaby MG, Carapetis JR. Rheumatic fever in indigenous Australian children. J Paediatr Child Health. 2010;46:527–33.
- Bilukha OO, Rosenstein N; National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Prevention and control of meningococcal disease. Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep. 2005;54(RR-7):1–21.
- Umaru ET, Ludin AN, Majid MR, Sabri S, Moses C, Enegbuma W, et al. Risk factors responsible for the spread of meningococcal meningitis. Int J Educ Res. 2013;1:1–30.
- Olea A, Matute I, González C, Delgado I, Poffald L, Pedroni E, et al. Case–control study of risk factors for meningococcal disease in Chile. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017;23:1070–8.
- Ladhani SN, Beebeejaun K, Lucidarme J, Campbell H, Gray S, Kaczmarski E, et al. Increase in endemic Neisseria meningitidis capsular group W sequence type 11 complex associated with severe invasive disease in England and Wales. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;60:578–85.
- Moreno G, López D, Vergara N, Gallegos D, Advis MF, Loayza S. [Clinical characterization of cases with meningococcal disease by W135 group in Chile, 2012] [in Spanish]. Rev Chilena Infectol. 2013;30:350–60.
- Lahra MM, Enriquez R. Australian meningococcal surveillance programme annual report, 2016. Commun Dis Intell Q Rep. 2017;41:E369–82.
- Mowlaboccus S, Jolley KA, Bray JE, Pang S, Lee YT, Bew JD, et al. Clonal expansion of new penicillin-resistant clade of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup W clonal complex 11, Australia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017;23:1364–7.
- Goedvolk CA, von Rosenstiel IA, Bos AP. Immune complex associated complications in the subacute phase of meningococcal disease: incidence and literature review. Arch Dis Child. 2003;88:927–30.
- Sanofi-Aventis Pte Ltd. Menactra: meningococcal (groups A,C,Y and W-135) polysaccharide diptheria toxoid conjugate vaccine Australian product information, 2011 [cited 2020 Mar 31]. https://www.menactra.com
Page created: March 31, 2020
Page updated: June 18, 2020
Page reviewed: June 18, 2020
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.