Volume 26, Number 7—July 2020
Surveillance and Testing for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus, Saudi Arabia, March 2016–March 2019
|Local Health Affairs Directorate||Population*||No. confirmed cases/no. suspected cases||% Confirmed positive||No. suspected cases/100,000 population per year||No. confirmed cases/100,000 population per year|
*Health Affairs Directorate and Hajj pilgrim population estimates are from 2017 Saudi Arabia Ministry of Health Annual Statistics Book (7). MERS-CoV, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus.
- World Health Organization. MERS situation update 2019 Sep [cited 2019 Oct 18]. http://applications.emro.who.int/docs/EMROPub-MERS-SEP-2019-EN.pdf
- Assiri A, McGeer A, Perl TM, Price CS, Al Rabeeah AA, Cummings DA, et al.; KSA MERS-CoV Investigation Team. Hospital outbreak of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus. N Engl J Med. 2013;369:407–16.
- Oboho IK, Tomczyk SM, Al-Asmari AM, Banjar AA, Al-Mugti H, Aloraini MS, et al. 2014 MERS-CoV outbreak in Jeddah—a link to health care facilities. N Engl J Med. 2015;372:846–54.
- Hui DS, Azhar EI, Kim YJ, Memish ZA, Oh MD, Zumla A. Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus: risk factors and determinants of primary, household, and nosocomial transmission. Lancet Infect Dis. 2018;18:e217–27.
- Ministry of Health of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus: guidelines for healthcare professionals 2018 [cited 2019 Oct 18]. https://www.moh.gov.sa/ccc/healthp/regulations/documents/mers-cov%20guidelines%20for%20healthcare%20professionals%20-%20may%202018%20-%20v5.1%20%281%29.pdf
- Ministry of Health of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Infection prevention and control guidelines for Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection 2015. 3rd edition [cited 2019 Oct 18]. https://www.moh.gov.sa/Documents/2015%20update.pdf
- Ministry of Health of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Annual statistical book 2017 [cited 2019 Oct 18]. https://www.moh.gov.sa/en/ministry/statistics/book/documents/annual-statistical-book-1438h.pdf
- Saeed AA, Abedi GR, Alzahrani AG, Salameh I, Abdirizak F, Alhakeem R, et al. Surveillance and testing for Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus, Saudi Arabia, April 2015–February 2016. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017;23:682–5.
- Alanazi KH, Killerby ME, Biggs HM, Abedi GR, Jokhdar H, Alsharef AA, et al. Scope and extent of healthcare-associated Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus transmission during two contemporaneous outbreaks in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 2017. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019;40:79–88.
- World Health Organization. Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV)—Saudi Arabia: disease outbreak news, 21 Jun 2016 [cited 2019 Oct 18]. https://www.who.int/csr/don/21-june-2016-mers-saudi-arabia
- World Health Organization. Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV)—the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: disease outbreak news update, 24 April 2019 [cited 2019 Oct 18]. https://www.who.int/csr/don/24-April-2019-mers-saudi-arabia
Page created: April 15, 2020
Page updated: June 18, 2020
Page reviewed: June 18, 2020
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.