Volume 27, Number 11—November 2021
Genetically Divergent Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza A(H5N8) Viruses in Wild Birds, Eastern China
- Gu M, Liu W, Cao Y, Peng D, Wang X, Wan H, et al. Novel reassortant highly pathogenic avian influenza (H5N5) viruses in domestic ducks, China. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:1060–3.
- Wu H, Peng X, Xu L, Jin C, Cheng L, Lu X, et al. Novel reassortant influenza A(H5N8) viruses in domestic ducks, eastern China. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1315–8.
- Lee YJ, Kang HM, Lee EK, Song BM, Jeong J, Kwon YK, et al. Novel reassortant influenza A(H5N8) viruses, South Korea, 2014. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1087–9.
- Lee DH, Torchetti MK, Winker K, Ip HS, Song CS, Swayne DE. Intercontinental spread of Asian-origin H5N8 to North America through Beringia by migratory birds. J Virol. 2015;89:6521–4.
- Bouwstra R, Heutink R, Bossers A, Harders F, Koch G, Elbers A. Full-genome sequence of influenza A(H5N8) virus in poultry linked to sequences of strains from Asia, the Netherlands, 2014. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:872–4.
- Napp S, Majó N, Sánchez-Gónzalez R, Vergara-Alert J. Emergence and spread of highly pathogenic avian influenza A(H5N8) in Europe in 2016-2017. Transbound Emerg Dis. 2018;65:1217–26.
- Lewis NS, Banyard AC, Whittard E, Karibayev T, Al Kafagi T, Chvala I, et al. Emergence and spread of novel H5N8, H5N5 and H5N1 clade 126.96.36.199 highly pathogenic avian influenza in 2020. Emerg Microbes Infect. 2021;10:148–51.
- Isoda N, Twabela AT, Bazarragchaa E, Ogasawara K, Hayashi H, Wang ZJ, et al. Re-invasion of H5N8 high pathogenicity avian influenza virus clade 188.8.131.52b in Hokkaido, Japan, 2020. Viruses. 2020;12:1439.
- Jeong S, Lee DH, Kwon JH, Kim YJ, Lee SH, Cho AY, et al. Highly pathogenic avian influenza clade 184.108.40.206b subtype H5N8 virus isolated from mandarin duck in South Korea, 2020. Viruses. 2020;12:1389.
- Baek YG, Lee YN, Lee DH, Shin JI, Lee JH, Chung DH, et al. Multiple reassortants of H5N8 clade 220.127.116.11b highly pathogenic avian influenza viruses detected in South Korea during the winter of 2020–2021. Viruses. 2021;13:490.
- Li X, Lv X, Li Y, Peng P, Zhou R, Qin S, et al. Highly pathogenic avian influenza A (H5N8) virus in swans, China, 2020. Emerg Infect Dis. 2021;27:1732–4.
- Tang L, Tang W, Ming L, Gu J, Qian K, Li X, et al. Characterization of avian influenza virus H10–H12 subtypes isolated from wild birds in Shanghai, China from 2016 to 2019. Viruses. 2020;12:1085.
- Minh BQ, Schmidt HA, Chernomor O, Schrempf D, Woodhams MD, von Haeseler A, et al. IQ-TREE 2: new models and efficient methods for phylogenetic inference in the genomic era. Mol Biol Evol. 2020;37:1530–4.
- Świętoń E, Fusaro A, Shittu I, Niemczuk K, Zecchin B, Joannis T, et al. Sub-Saharan Africa and Eurasia ancestry of reassortant highly pathogenic avian influenza A(H5N8) virus, Europe, December 2019. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020;26:1557–61.
- Global Consortium for H5N8 and Related Influenza Viruses. Role for migratory wild birds in the global spread of avian influenza H5N8. Science. 2016;354:213–7.
Page created: August 09, 2021
Page updated: October 19, 2021
Page reviewed: October 19, 2021
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.