Volume 27, Number 3—March 2021
CME ACTIVITY - Research
Effectiveness of Preventive Therapy for Persons Exposed at Home to Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis, Karachi, Pakistan
|Characteristic||Becerra et al. (25)||Fox et al. (22)||Reichler et al. (26)||Martin-Sanchez et al. (27)||Sloot et al. (28)||Saunders et al. (29)|
||US and Canada
|HHC age group, y|
|IR or risk
||IR and risk
||IR and risk
||IR and risk
||IR and risk
|IR or risk by PT status
||No PT for DR TB exposure
|IR or risk by age and year of follow-up
||Not by age but by year of follow-up
||No cases in children
|IR or risk by risk group
|IR or risk reported
||<15 y, Y 1: 2,079/100,000 p-y; <15 y, Y 2: 315/100,000 p-y; >15 y, Y 1: 2,610/100,000 p-y; >15 y, Y 2: 1,309/100,000 p-y; risk: 163/4,515 (3.6%)
||Y 1: 1,478/100,000 p-y; Y 2: 831/100,000 p-y; risk: 898/65,935 (1.4%)
||Rate: 951/100,000 p-y; 5 y risk for TST-positive contacts without PT: 49/446 (11.0%)
||Rate: 1970/100,000 p-y; 5 y risk for TST-positive contacts not completing PT: 6/72 (8.3%)
||2 y risk in TST-positive contacts without PT: 9/372 (2.4%)
||2.5 y risk for medium- to high-risk contacts in validation cohort: 57/1,335 (4.3%)
|Other limitations||Some children received isoniazid-based PT||NA||P-y accumulated over 5 y||No cases in children less than 15 y; p-y accumulated over 5.3 y||Definition of incidence >6 mo||HHCs >15 y|
*DR TB, drug-resistant tuberculosis; HHC, household contacts; IR, incidence rate; PT, preventive therapy; p-y, person-years; TST, tuberculin skin test; Y, year of follow-up; NA, data not available.
- World Health Organization. Global tuberculosis control report 2019. 2019 [cited 2020 Sep 1]. https://www.who.int/teams/global-tuberculosis-programme/tb-reports/global-report-2019
- Cegielski JP, Nahid P, Sotgiu G. The continued hunt for the elusive standard short regimen for treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Eur Respir J. 2020;55:
- Rodina O, Borisov SE, Ivanova D. Adverse events in patients with MDR TB, treated by three types of the chemotherapy regimens. Eur Respir J. 2019;54:
- Diel R, Loddenkemper R, Zellweger J-P, Sotgiu G, D’Ambrosio L, Centis R, et al.; European Forum for TB Innovation. Old ideas to innovate tuberculosis control: preventive treatment to achieve elimination. Eur Respir J. 2013;42:785–801.
- Gebreselassie N, Hutubessy R, Vekemans J, den Boon S, Kasaeva T, Zignol M. The case for assessing the full value of new tuberculosis vaccines. Eur Respir J. 2020;55:
- Keshavjee S, Nicholson T, Khan AJ, Ditiu L, Farmer PE, Becerra MC. Tuberculosis epidemic control: a comprehensive strategy to drive down tuberculosis. In: Friedman L, Dedicoat M, Davies PDO, editors. Clinical tuberculosis. 6th ed. Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press; 2020. p. 401–12.
- Shah NS, Yuen CM, Heo M, Tolman AW, Becerra MC. Yield of contact investigations in households of patients with drug-resistant tuberculosis: systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2014;58:381–91.
- Matteelli A, Lönnroth K, Getahun H, Falzon D, Migliori GB, Raviglione M. Numbers needed to treat to prevent tuberculosis. Eur Respir J. 2015;46:1838–9.
- Chiang SS, Brooks MB, Jenkins HE, Rubenstein D, Seddon JA, van de Water BJ, et al. Concordance of drug resistance profiles between persons with drug-resistant tuberculosis and their household contacts: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2020;
ciaa613; Epub ahead of print.
- World Health Organization. Latent tuberculosis infection: updated and consolidated guidelines for programmatic management. 2018 [cited 2020 Sep 1]. https://www.who.int/tb/publications/2018/latent-tuberculosis-infection
- Adler-Shohet FC, Low J, Carson M, Girma H, Singh J. Management of latent tuberculosis infection in child contacts of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2014;33:664–6.
- Bamrah S, Brostrom R, Dorina F, Setik L, Song R, Kawamura LM, et al. Treatment for LTBI in contacts of MDR-TB patients, Federated States of Micronesia, 2009-2012. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2014;18:912–8.
- Feja K, McNelley E, Tran CS, Burzynski J, Saiman L. Management of pediatric multidrug-resistant tuberculosis and latent tuberculosis infections in New York City from 1995 to 2003. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2008;27:907–12.
- Schaaf HS, Gie RP, Kennedy M, Beyers N, Hesseling PB, Donald PR. Evaluation of young children in contact with adult multidrug-resistant pulmonary tuberculosis: a 30-month follow-up. Pediatrics. 2002;109:765–71.
- Seddon JA, Hesseling AC, Finlayson H, Fielding K, Cox H, Hughes J, et al. Preventive therapy for child contacts of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: a prospective cohort study. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;57:1676–84.
- Seddon JA, Fred D, Amanullah F, Schaaf HS, Starke JR, Keshavjee S, et al. Post-exposure management of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis contacts: evidence-based recommendations. Policy Brief No. 1. Dubai (United Arab Emirates): Harvard Medical School Center for Global Health Delivery–Dubai; 2015.
- Trieu L, Proops DC, Ahuja SD. Moxifloxacin Prophylaxis against MDR TB, New York, New York, USA. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:500–3.
- Marks SM, Mase SR, Morris SB. Systematic review, meta-analysis, and cost-effectiveness of treatment of latent tuberculosis to reduce progression to multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;64:1670–7.
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS. Pakistan. 2020 [cited 2020 Sep 1]. https://www.unaids.org/en/regionscountries/countries/pakistan
- Malik AA, Fuad J, Siddiqui S, Amanullah F, Jaswal M, Barry Z, et al. Tuberculosis preventive therapy for individuals exposed to drug-resistant tuberculosis: feasibility and safety of a community-based delivery of fluoroquinolone-containing preventive regimen. Clin Infect Dis. 2020;70:1958–65.
- Malik AA, Becerra MC, Lash TL, Cranmer LM, Omer SB, Fuad J, et al. Risk factors for adverse events in household contacts prescribed preventive treatment for drug-resistant TB exposure. Clin Infect Dis. 2020;
ciaa327; Epub ahead of print.
- Fox GJ, Barry SE, Britton WJ, Marks GB. Contact investigation for tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Respir J. 2013;41:140–56.
- Becerra MC, Huang CC, Lecca L, Bayona J, Contreras C, Calderon R, et al. Transmissibility and potential for disease progression of drug resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis: prospective cohort study. BMJ. 2019;367:l5894.
- Becerra MC, Appleton SC, Franke MF, Chalco K, Arteaga F, Bayona J, et al. Tuberculosis burden in households of patients with multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet. 2011;377:147–52.
- Becerra MC, Franke MF, Appleton SC, Joseph JK, Bayona J, Atwood SS, et al. Tuberculosis in children exposed at home to multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2013;32:115–9.
- Reichler MR, Khan A, Sterling TR, Zhao H, Chen B, Yuan Y, et al.; Tuberculosis Epidemiologic Studies Consortium Task Order 2 Team. Tuberculosis Epidemiologic Studies Consortium Task Order 2 Team. Risk factors for tuberculosis and effect of preventive therapy among close contacts of persons with infectious tuberculosis. Clin Infect Dis. 2020;70:1562–72.
- Martin-Sanchez M, Brugueras S, de Andrés A, Simon P, Gorrindo P, Ros M, et al.; Contact Tracing Group of the Tuberculosis Investigation Unit of Barcelona. Tuberculosis incidence among infected contacts detected through contact tracing of smear-positive patients. PLoS One. 2019;14:
- Sloot R, Schim van der Loeff MF, Kouw PM, Borgdorff MW. Risk of tuberculosis after recent exposure. A 10-year follow-up study of contacts in Amsterdam. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014;190:1044–52.
- Saunders MJ, Wingfield T, Tovar MA, Baldwin MR, Datta S, Zevallos K, et al. A score to predict and stratify risk of tuberculosis in adult contacts of tuberculosis index cases: a prospective derivation and external validation cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017;17:1190–9.
- Smieja MJ, Marchetti CA, Cook DJ, Smaill FM. Isoniazid for preventing tuberculosis in non-HIV infected persons. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000;1999:
- Amanullah F, Ashfaq M, Khowaja S, Parekh A, Salahuddin N, Lotia-Farrukh I, et al. High tuberculosis prevalence in children exposed at home to drug-resistant tuberculosis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2014;18:520–7.
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: January 11, 2021
Page updated: February 19, 2021
Page reviewed: February 19, 2021
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.