Volume 27, Number 8—August 2021
Endogenous Endophthalmitis Caused by ST66-K2 Hypervirulent Klebsiella pneumoniae, United States
- Choby JE, Howard-Anderson J, Weiss DS. Hypervirulent Klebsiella pneumoniae—clinical and molecular perspectives. J Intern Med. 2020;287:283–300.
- Hussain I, Ishrat S, Ho DCW, Khan SR, Veeraraghavan MA, Palraj BR, et al. Endogenous endophthalmitis in Klebsiella pneumoniae pyogenic liver abscess: systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Infect Dis. 2020;101:259–68.
- Xu M, Li A, Kong H, Zhang W, Chen H, Fu Y, et al. Endogenous endophthalmitis caused by a multidrug-resistant hypervirulent Klebsiella pneumoniae strain belonging to a novel single locus variant of ST23: first case report in China. BMC Infect Dis. 2018;18:669.
- Bialek-Davenet S, Criscuolo A, Ailloud F, Passet V, Jones L, Delannoy-Vieillard AS, et al. Genomic definition of hypervirulent and multidrug-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae clonal groups. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1812–20.
- Struve C, Roe CC, Stegger M, Stahlhut SG, Hansen DS, Engelthaler DM, et al. Mapping the evolution of hypervirulent Klebsiella pneumoniae. MBio. 2015;6:
- Holt KE, Wertheim H, Zadoks RN, Baker S, Whitehouse CA, Dance D, et al. Genomic analysis of diversity, population structure, virulence, and antimicrobial resistance in Klebsiella pneumoniae, an urgent threat to public health. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E3574–81.
- Klaper K, Wendt S, Lübbert C, Lippmann N, Pfeifer Y, Werner G. Hypervirulent Klebsiella pneumoniae of lineage ST66-K2 caused tonsillopharyngitis in a German patient. Microorganisms. 2021;9:133.
- Rodrigues C, d’Humières C, Papin G, Passet V, Ruppé E, Brisse S. Community-acquired infection caused by the uncommon hypervirulent Klebsiella pneumoniae ST66-K2 lineage. Microb Genom. 2020;6:
- Baekby M, Hegedüs N, Sandahl TD, Krogfelt KA, Struve C. Hypervirulent Klebsiella pneumoniae K1 liver abscess and endogenous endophthalmitis in a Caucasian man. Clin Case Rep. 2018;6:1618–23.
- Kashani AH, Eliott D. The emergence of Klebsiella pneumoniae endogenous endophthalmitis in the USA: basic and clinical advances. J Ophthalmic Inflamm Infect. 2013;3:28.
- Lery LM, Frangeul L, Tomas A, Passet V, Almeida AS, Bialek-Davenet S, et al. Comparative analysis of Klebsiella pneumoniae genomes identifies a phospholipase D family protein as a novel virulence factor. BMC Biol. 2014;12:41.
Page created: June 09, 2021
Page updated: July 18, 2021
Page reviewed: July 18, 2021
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.