Volume 27, Number 8—August 2021
Autochthonous Cases of Tick-Borne Encephalitis, Belgium, 2020
- Lindquist L, Vapalahti O. Tick-borne encephalitis. Lancet. 2008;371:1861–71.
- Roelandt S. Questing for tick-borne encephalitis virus in Belgium using veterinary sentinel surveys and risk factor mapping [dissertation]. Ghent (Belgium): Ghent University; 2016.
- Superior Health Council. Vaccination against tick-borne encephalitis (TBE). Report no. 9435. Brussels: SHC; 2019 [cited 2021 Apr 24]. https://healthpr.belgium.be/sites/default/files/uploads/fields/fpshealth_theme_file/shc_9435_tbe.pdf
- Schwaiger M, Cassinotti P. Development of a quantitative real-time RT-PCR assay with internal control for the laboratory detection of tick borne encephalitis virus (TBEV) RNA. J Clin Virol. 2003;27:136–45.
- Holzmann H. Diagnosis of tick-borne encephalitis. Vaccine. 2003;21(Suppl 1):S36–40.
- Veje M, Studahl M, Norberg P, Roth A, Möbius U, Brink M, et al. Detection of tick-borne encephalitis virus RNA in urine. J Clin Microbiol. 2014;52:4111–2.
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. EU case definitions: European Commission; 2018 [cited 2021 Apr 15]. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/surveillance-and-disease-data/eu-case-definitions
- Geebelen L, Leroy M, Lernout T. TickNet 2020: surveillance of tick bites in Belgium. Report number D/2021/14.440/24 [in Dutch]. Brussels: Sciensano; 2021 [cited 2021 Apr 24]. https://tekennet.wiv-isp.be/reports/Final_Surveillance%20van%20tekenbeten_TekenNet%202020.pdf </eref>
- Sciensano. TickNet [in Dutch] [cited 2021 Apr 26]. https://tekennet.wiv-isp.be
- National Institute for Public Health and the Environment. Spread of tick-borne encephalitis virus in the Netherlands; 2020 [cited 2021 May 31]. https://www.rivm.nl/en/news/spread-of-tick-borne-encephalitis-virus-in-netherlands
- Kreusch TM, Holding M, Hewson R, Harder T, Medlock JM, Hansford KM, et al. A probable case of tick-borne encephalitis (TBE) acquired in England, July 2019. Euro Surveill. 2019;24:
- Gils S, Frans J, Ho E, Smismans A, Vermylen P, Dewil M, et al. Case report: tick-borne encephalitis (TBE) in a Belgian traveller returning from Germany. J Travel Med. 2018;25:25.
- Lernout T, Litzroth A, Rebolledo J, Tersago K. Zoonoses and vector-transmitted diseases: summary annual review 2018. Report no. D/2019/14.440/97 [in Dutch]. Brussel: Sciensano; 2019 [cited 2021 Apr 24]. https://epidemio.wiv-isp.be/ID/reports/Zo%C3%B6nosen%20en%20vectoroverdraagbare%20ziekten%202018.pdf
- Suin V, Lernout T, Van Esbroeck M, Van Gucht S. TBE in Belgium. In: Dobler G, Erber W, Bröker M, Schmitt HJ, eds. The TBE Book. 3rd ed. Singapore: Global Health Press; 2020.
- Lernout T, De Regge N, Tersago K, Fonville M, Suin V, Sprong H. Prevalence of pathogens in ticks collected from humans through citizen science in Belgium. Parasit Vectors. 2019;12:550.
Page created: June 09, 2021
Page updated: July 18, 2021
Page reviewed: July 18, 2021
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.