Volume 3, Number 1—March 1997
Cryptosporidiosis: An Emerging, Highly Infectious Threat
|Patients with diarrhea||Controls without diarrhea|
aFrom 100 reports of 133,175 patients with diarrhea and 6,223 controls. bRanges given in parentheses. cData from reference (7).
- Tyzzer EE. A sporozoan found in the peptic glands of the common mouse. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1907;5:12–3.
- Nime FA, Burek JD, Page DL, Holscher MA, Yardley JH. Acute enterocolitis in a human being infected with the protozoan Cryptosporidium. Gastroenterology. 1976;70:592–8.
- Current WL. Human cryptosporidiosis. N Engl J Med. 1983;309:1325–7.
- Navin TR, Juranek DD. Cryptosporidiosis: clinical, epidemiologic, and parasitologic review. Rev Infect Dis. 1984;6:313–27.
- Goldstein ST, Juranek DD, Ravenholt O, Hightower AW, Martin DG, Mesnik JL, Cryptosporidiosis: An outbreak associated with drinking water despite state-of-the-art water treatment. Ann Intern Med. 1996;124:459.
- Vakil NB, Schwartz SM, Buggy BP, Brummitt CF, Kherellah M, Letzer DM, Biliary cryptosporidiosis in HIV-infected people after the waterborne outbreak of cryptosporidiosis in Milwaukee. N Engl J Med. 1996;334:19–23.
- Adal KA, Sterling CR, Guerrant RL. Cryptosporidium and related species. In: Blaser MJ, Smith PD, Ravdin JI, Greenberg HB, Guerrant RL, editors. Infections of the gastrointestinal tract. New York: Raven Press; 1995;72:1107-28.
- Zu S-X, Li J-F, Barrett LJ, Fayer R, Zhu S-Y, McAuliffe JF, Seroepidemiologic study of Cryptosporidium infection in children from rural communities of Anhui, China. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1994;51:1–10.
- Ungar BLP, Soave R, Fayer R, Nash TE. Enzyme immunoassay detection of immunoglobulin M and G antibodies to Cryptosporidium in immunocompetent and immunocompromised persons. J Infect Dis. 1986;153:570–8.
- Ungar BL, Gilman RH, Lanata CF, Peres-Schael I. Seroepidemiology of Cryptosporidium infection in two Latin American populations. J Infect Dis. 1988;157:551–6.
- Ungar BL, Mulligan M, Nutman TB. Serologic evidence of Cryptosporidium infection in US volunteers before and during Peace Corps service in Africa. Arch Intern Med. 1989;149:894–7.
- DuPont HL, Chappell CL, Sterling CR, Okhuysen PC, Rose JB, Jakubowski W. The infectivity of Cryptosporidium parvum in healthy volunteers. N Engl J Med. 1995;332:855–9.
- Haas CN, Rose JB. Reconciliation of microbial risk models and outbreak epidemiology: the case of the Milwaukee outbreak. Proceedings of the American Water Works Association 1994;517-23.
- Centers for Disease Control. Waterborne disease outbreaks, 1986-1988. MMWR CDC Surveill Summ. 1990;39:1–13.
- Fayer R. Effect of sodium hypochlorite exposure on infectivity of Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts for neonatal BALB/c mice. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1995;61:844–6.
- Korich DG, Mead JR, Madore MS, Sinclair NA, Sterling CR. Effects of ozone, chlorine dioxide, chlorine, and monochloramine on Cryptosporidium parvum oocyst viability. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1990;56:1423–8.
- Rush BA, Chapman PA, Ineson RW. Cryptosporidium and drinking water [Letter]. Lancet. 1987;2:632–3.
- D'Antonio RG, Winn RE, Taylor JP, Gustafson TL, Current WL, Rhodes MM, A waterborne outbreak of cryptosporidiosis in normal hosts. Ann Intern Med. 1985;103:886–8.
- Smith HV, Girdwood RWA, Patterson WJ, Hardie R, Green LA, Benton C, Waterborne outbreak of cryptosporidiosis. Lancet. 1988;:1484.
- Hayes EB, Matte TD, O'Brien TR, McKinley TW, Logsdon GS, Rose JB, Large community outbreak of cryptosporidiosis due to contamination of a filtered public water supply. N Engl J Med. 1989;320:1372–6.
- MacKenzie WR, Hoxie NJ, Proctor ME, Gradus MS, Blair KA, Peterson DE, A massive outbreak in Milwaukee of Cryptosporidium infection transmitted through the public water supply. N Engl J Med. 1994;331:161–7.
- McAnulty JM, Fleming DW, Gonzalez AH. A community-wide outbreak of cryptosporidiosis associated with swimming at a wave pool. JAMA. 1994;272:1597–600.
- Moore AC, Herwaldt BL, Craun GF, Calderon RL, Highsmith AK, Juranek DD. Surveillance for water-borne disease outbreaks—United States, 1991-1992. MMWR CDC Surveill Summ. 1993;42:1–22.
- Kramer MH, Herwaldt BL, Craun GF, Calderon RL, Juranek DD. Surveillance for waterborne-disease outbreaks—United States, 1993-1994. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1996;45:1–33.
- Gerba CP, Gerba P. Journal of the Swimming Pool and Spa Industry. 1996;1:9–18.
- Steiner TS, Thielman NM, Guerrant RL. Protozoal agents: what are the dangers for the public water supply. Annu Rev Med 1996.
- Millard PS, Gensheimer KF, Addiss DG, Sosin DM, Beckett GA, Houck-Jankoski A, An outbreak of cryptosporidiosis from fresh-pressed apple cider [published erratum appears in JAMA 1995 Mar8;273(10):776]. JAMA. 1994;272:1592–6.
- Newman RD, Zu S-X, Wuhib T, Lima AAM, Guerrant RL, Sears CL. Household epidemiology of Cryptosporidium parvum infection. Ann Intern Med. 1994;120:500–5.
- Cordell RL, Addiss DG. Cryptosporidiosis in child care settings: a review of the literature and recommendations for prevention and control. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1994;13:311–7.
- Diers J, McCallister GL. Occurrence of Cryptosporidium in home day-care centers in west-central Colorado. J Parasitol. 1989;75:637–8.
- Stehr-Green JK, McCaig L, Remson HM, Raines CS, Fox M, Juranek DD. Shedding of oocysts in immunocompetent individuals infected with Cryptosporidium. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1987;36:338–42.
- Baxby D, Hart CA, Taylor C. Human cryptosporidiosis: a possible case of hospital cross infection. BMJ. 1983;287:1760–1.
- Dryjanski JD, Gold JWM, Ritchie MT, Kurt RC, Lim SL, Armstrong D. Cryptosporidiosis. Case report in a health team worker. Am J Med. 1986;80:751–2.
- Collier AC, Miller RA, Meyers JD. Cryptosporidiosis after marrow transplantation: person-to-person transmission and treatment with spiramycin. Ann Intern Med. 1984;101:205–6.
- Gentile G, Venditti M, Micozzi A, Caprioli A, Donelli G, Tirindelli C, Cryptosporidiosis in patients with hematologic malignancies. Rev Infect Dis. 1991;13:842–6.
- Navarrete S, Stetler HC, Avila C, Aranda JAG, Santos-Preciado JI. An outbreak of Cryptosporidium diarrhea in a pediatric hospital. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1991;10:248–50.
- Ravn P, Lundgren JD, Kjaeldgaard P, Holten-Anderson W, Hjlyng N, Nielsen JO, Nosocomial outbreak of cryptosporidiosis in AIDS patients. BMJ. 1991;302:277–80.
- Neill MA, Rice SK, Ahmad NV, Flanigan TP. Cryptosporidiosisan unrecognized cause of diarrhea in elderly hospitalized patients. Clin Infect Dis. 1996;22:168–70.
- Koch KL, Phillips DJ, Aber RC, Current WL. Cryptosporidiosis in hospital personnel. Ann Intern Med. 1985;102:593–6.
- Newman RD, Wuhib T, Lima AA, Guerrant RL, Sears CL. Environmental sources of Cryptosporidium in an urban slum in northeastern Brazil. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1993;49:270–5.
- LeChevallier MW, Norton WD, Lee RG. Occurrence of Giardia and Cryptosporidium spp. in surface water supplies [published erratum appears in Appl Environ Microbiol 1992 Feb;58:780]. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1991;57:2610–6.
- LeChevallier MW, Schulz W, Lee RG. Bacterial nutrients in drinking water. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1991;57:857–62.
- Guarino A, Canani RB, Casola A, Pozio E, Russo R, Bruzzese E, Human intestinal cryptosporidiosis: secretory diarrhea and enterotoxic activity in Caco-2 cells. J Infect Dis. 1995;171:976–83.
- Sears CL, Guerrant RL. Cryptosporiodiosis: the complexity of intestinal pathophysiology. Gastroenterology. 1994;106:252–4.
- Argenzio RA, Rhoads JM, Armstrong M, Gomez G. Glutamine stimulates prostaglandin-sensitive Na(+)-H+ exchange in experimental porcine cryptosporidiosis [see comments]. Gastroenterology. 1994;106:1418–28.
- Argenzio RA, Lecce J, Powell DW. Prostanoids inhibit intestinal NaCl absorption in experimental porcine cryptosporidiosis. Gastroenterology. 1993;104:440–7.
- Modigliani R, Bories C, LeCharpentier Y, Salmeron N, Messing B, Galian A. Diarrhea and malabsorption in acquired immune deficiency syndrome: a study of four cases with special emphasis on opportunistic protozoan infestations. Gut. 1985;26:179–87.
- Gardner AL, Roche JK, Weikel CS, Guerrant RL. Intestinal cryptosporidiosis: pathophysiologic alterations and specific cellular and humoral immune responses in rnu/+ and rnu/rnu (athymic) rats. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1991;44:49–62.
- Heine J, Moon HW, Woodmansee DB. Persistent Cryptosporidium infection in congenitally athymic (nude) mice. Infect Immun. 1984;43:856–9.
- Goodgame RW, Kimball K, Ou CN, White AC Jr, Genta RM, Lifschitz CH, Intestinal function and injury in acquired immunodeficiency syndrome-related cryptosporidiosis. Gastroenterology. 1995;108:1075–82.
- Fang G, Lima AAM, Martins CC, Nataro JP, Guerrant RL. Etiology and epidemiology of persistent diarrhea in northeastern Brazil: a hospital-based prospective case control study. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1995;21:137–44.
- Wuhib T, Silva TM, Newman RD, Garcia LS, Pereira ML, Chaves CS, Cryptosporidial and microsporidial infections in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients in northeastern Brazil. J Infect Dis. 1994;170:494–7.
- Weber R, Bryan RT, Bishop HS, Wahlquist SP, Sullivan JJ, Juranek DD. Threshold of detection of Cryptosporidium oocysts in human stool specimens: evidence for low sensitivity of current diagnostic methods. J Clin Microbiol. 1991;29:1323–7.
- Newman RD, Jaeger KL, Wuhib T, Lima AA, Guerrant RL, Sears CL. Evaluation of an antigen capture enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for detection of Cryptosporidium oocysts. J Clin Microbiol. 1993;31:2080–4.
- Kehl KS, Cicirello H, Havens PL. Comparison of four different methods for detection of Cryptosporidium species. J Clin Microbiol. 1995;33:416–8.
- Laxer MA, Timblin BK, Patel RJ. DNA sequences for the specific detection of Cryptosporidium parvum by the polymerase chain reaction. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1991;45:688–94.
- Laxer MA, D'Nicuola ME, Patel R. Detection of Cryptosporidium parvum DNA in fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue by the polymerase chain reaction. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1992;47:450–5.
- Awad-El-Kariem FM, Warhurst DC, McDonald V. Detection and species identification of Cryptosporidium oocysts using a system based on PCR and endonuclease restriction. Parasitology. 1994;109:19–22.
- White AC Jr, Chappell CL, Hayat CS, Kimball KT, Flanigan TP, Goodgame RW. Paromomycin for cryptosporidiosis in AIDS: a prospective, double-blind trial. J Infect Dis. 1994;170:419–24.
- Lima AAM, Soares AM, Freire JE Jr, Guerrant RL. Cotransport of sodium with glutamine, alanine and glucose in the isolated rabbit ileal mucosa. Braz J Med Biol Res. 1992;25:637–40.
Page created: December 21, 2010
Page updated: December 21, 2010
Page reviewed: December 21, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.