Volume 4, Number 4—December 1998
Murine Typhus in Travelers Returning from Indonesia
- Raoult D, Roux V. Rickettsioses as paradigms of new or emerging infectious diseases. Clin Microbiol Rev. 1997;10:694–719.
- Azad AF, Radulovic S, Higgins JA, Noden BH, Troyer JM. Flea-borne rickettsioses: ecologic considerations. Emerg Infect Dis. 1997;3:319–27.
- Azad AF, Sacci JB, Nelson WM, Dasch GA, Schmidtmann ET, Carl M. Genetic characterization and transovarial transmission of a typhus-like rickettsia found in cat fleas. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:43–6.
- Lascola B, Raoult D. Laboratory diagnosis of rickettsioses: current approaches to diagnosis of old and new rickettsial diseases. J Clin Microbiol. 1997;35:2715–27.
- Dumler JS, Taylor JP, Walker DH. Clinical and laboratory features of murine typhus in South Texas, 1980 through 1987. JAMA. 1991;266:1365–70.
- Walker DH. Advances in understanding of typhus group rickettsial infections. In: Kazar J, Toman R, editors. Rickettsiae and rickettsial diseases. Bratislava, Slovak Republic: VEDA Press; 1996. p. 16-25.
- Tissot-Dupont H, Brouqui P, Faugere B, Raoult D. Prevalence of antibodies to Coxiella burnetii, Rickettsia conorii, and Rickettsia typhi in seven African countries. Clin Infect Dis. 1995;21:1126–33.
- Richards AL, Soeatmadji DW, Widodo MA, Sardjono TW, Yanuwiadi B, Hernowati TE, Seroepidemiologic evidence of murine typhus and scrub typhus in Malang, Indonesia. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1997;57:91–5.
- Traub R, Wisseman CL Jr, Azad AF. The ecology of murine typhus: a critical review. Trop Dis Bull. 1978;75:237–317.
- Perrine PL, Chandler BP, Krause DK, McCardle P, Awoke S, Habte-Gabr E, A clinico-epidemiological study of epidemic typhus in Africa. Clin Infect Dis. 1992;14:1149–58.
- McDonald JC, MacLean JD, McDade JE. Imported rickettsial disease: clinical and epidemiologic features. Am J Med. 1988;85:799–805.
- Raeber PA, Winteler S, Paget J. Fever in the returned traveller: remember rickettsial diseases. Lancet. 1994;334:331.
- Edlinger E, Navarro P. Rickettsioses. A disease of tourism. Sem Hop Paris. 1983;59:2053–4.
- Raoult D, Roux V, Ndihokubwayo JB, Bise G, Baudon D, Marte G, Jail fever (epidemic typhus) outbreak in Burundi. Emerg Infect Dis. 1997;3:357–60.
Page created: December 16, 2010
Page updated: December 16, 2010
Page reviewed: December 16, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.