Volume 5, Number 1—February 1999
Long-Term Studies of Hantavirus Reservoir Populations in the Southwestern United States: Rationale, Potential, and Methods
- Schmaljohn CS, Hjelle B. Hantaviruses: a global disease problem. Emerg Infect Dis. 1997;3:95–104.
- Peters CJ, Mills JN, Spiropoulou C, Zaki SR, Rollin PE. Hantaviruses. In: Guerrant RL, Walker DH, Weller PF, editors. Tropical infectious diseases: principles, pathogens, and practice. New York: W.B. Saunders. In press 1999.
- Lee HW, French GR, Lee PW, Baek LJ, Tsuchiya K, Foulke RS. Observations on natural and laboratory infection of rodents with the etiologic agent of Korean hemorrhagic fever. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1981;30:477–82.
- Hutchinson KL, Rollin PE, Peters CJ. Pathogenesis of a North American hantavirus, Black Creek Canal virus, in experimentally infected Sigmodon hispidus. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1998;59:58–65.
- Tsai TF. Hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome: mode of transmission to humans. Lab Anim Sci. 1987;37:428–30.
- Glass GE, Childs JE, Korch GW, LeDuc JW. Association of intraspecific wounding with hantaviral infection in wild rats (Rattus norvegicus). Epidemiol Infect. 1988;101:459–72.
- Mills JN, Ksiazek TG, Ellis BA, Rollin PE, Nichol ST, Yates TL, Patterns of association with host and habitat: antibody reactive with Sin Nombre virus in small mammals in the major biotic communities of the southwestern United States. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1997;56:273–84.
- McKee KT Jr, LeDuc JW, Peters CJ. Hantaviruses. In: Belshe RB, editor. Textbook of human virology. St Louis (MO): Mosby Year Book; 1991. p. 615-32.
- LeDuc JW, Smith GA, Childs JE, Pinheiro FP, Maiztegui JI, Niklasson B, Global survey of antibody to Hantaan-related viruses among peridomestic rodents. Bull World Health Organ. 1986;64:139–44.
- Glass GE, Watson AJ, LeDuc JW, Childs JE. Domestic cases of hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome in the United States. Nephron. 1994;68:48–51.
- Lee P-W, Amyx HL, Gajdusek DC, Yanagihara RT, Goldgaber D, Gibbs CJ. New haemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome-related virus in indigenous wild rodents in United States. Lancet. 1982;2:1405.
- Nichol ST, Spiropoulou CF, Morzunov S, Rollin PE, Ksiazek TG, Feldmann H, Genetic identification of a hantavirus associated with an outbreak of acute respiratory illness. Science. 1993;262:914–7.
- Childs JE, Ksiazek TG, Spiropoulou CF, Krebs JW, Morzunov S, Maupin GO, Serologic and genetic identification of Peromyscus maniculatus as the primary rodent reservoir for a new hantavirus in the southwestern United States. J Infect Dis. 1994;169:1271–80.
- Mills JN, Childs JE. Ecological studies of rodent reservoirs: their relevance for human health. Emerg Infect Dis. 1998;4:529–37.
- Song JW, Baek LJ, Gajdusek DC, Yanagihara R, Gavrilovskaya I, Luft BJ, Isolation of pathogenic hantavirus from white-footed mouse (Peromyscus leucopus) [letter]. Lancet. 1994;344:1637.
- Rollin PE, Ksiazek TG, Elliott LH, Ravkov EV, Martin ML, Morzunov S, Isolation of Black Creek Canal virus, a new hantavirus from Sigmodon hispidus in Florida. J Med Virol. 1995;46:35–9.
- Ksiazek TG, Nichol ST, Mills JN, Groves MG, Wozniak A, McAdams S, Isolation, genetic diversity and geographic distribution of Bayou virus (Bunyaviridae: Hantavirus). Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1997;57:445–8.
- Carleton MD. Systematics and evolution. In: Kirkland GL, Layne JN, editors. Advances in the study of Peromyscus (Rodentia). Lubbock (TX): Texas Tech University Press; 1989. p. 7-141.
- Glass GE, Livingstone W, Mills JN, Hlady WJ, Fine JB, Rollin PE, Black Creek Canal virus infection in Sigmodon hispidus in southern Florida. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1998;59:699–703.
- Cody ML. Introduction to long-term community ecological studies. In: Cody ML, Smallwood JA, editors. Long-term studies of vertebrate communities. San Diego: Academic Press; 1996. p. 1-15.
- Childs JE, Glass GE, Korch GW, LeDuc JW. Prospective seroepidemiology of hantaviruses and population dynamics of small mammal communities of Baltimore, Maryland. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1987;37:648–62.
- Niklasson B, Hornfeldt B, Lundkvist A, Bjorsten S, LeDuc J. Temporal dynamics of Puumala virus antibody prevalence in voles and of nephropathia epidemica incidence in humans. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1995;53:134–40.
- Mills JN, Ellis BA, McKee KT, Calderón GE, Maiztegui JI, Nelson GO, A longitudinal study of Junín virus activity in the rodent reservoir of Argentine hemorrhagic fever. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1992;47:749–63.
- Parmenter RR, Brunt JW, Moore DI, Ernest S. The hantavirus epidemic in the Southwest: rodent population dynamics and the implications for transmission of hantavirus-associated adult respiratory distress syndrome (HARDS) in the Four Corners region. Publication No.: 41. Albuquerque (NM): University of New Mexico; 1993. Sevilleta Long-Term Ecological Research Site.
- Parmenter CA, Yates TL, Parmenter RR, Mills JN, Childs JE, Campbell ML, Small mammal survival and trapability in mark-recapture monitoring programs for hantavirus. J Wildl Dis. 1998;34:1–12.
- Swann DE, Kuenzi AJ, Morrison ML, DeStefano S. Effects of sampling blood on survival of small mammals. J Mammal. 1997;78:908–13.
- Mills JN, Yates TL, Childs JE, Parmenter RR, Ksiazek TG, Rollin PE, Guidelines for working with rodents potentially infected with hantavirus. J Mammal. 1995;76:716–22.
- Mills JN, Childs JE, Ksiazek TG, Peters CJ, Velleca WM. Methods for trapping and sampling small mammals for virologic testing. Atlanta (GA): U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 1995.
- Feldmann H, Sanchez A, Morzunov S, Spiropoulou CF, Rollin PE, Ksiazek TG, Utilization of autopsy RNA for the synthesis of the nucleocapsid antigen of a newly recognized virus associated with hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Virus Res. 1993;30:351–67.
- Yanagihara R, Daum CA, Lee PW, Baek LJ, Amyx HL, Gajdusek DC, Serological survey of Prospect Hill virus infection in indigenous wild rodents in the USA. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1987;81:42–5.
- Hjelle B, Chavez-Giles F, Torrez-Martinez N, Yates T, Sarisky J, Webb J, Genetic identification of a novel hantavirus of the harvest mouse Reithrodontomys megalotis. J Virol. 1994;68:6751–4.
Page created: December 10, 2010
Page updated: December 10, 2010
Page reviewed: December 10, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.