Volume 6, Number 6—December 2000
Predominance of HIV-1 Subtype A and D Infections in Uganda
- Hu DJ, Dondero TJ, Rayfield MA, George JR, Schochetman G, Jaffe HW, The emerging genetic diversity of HIV: The importance of global surveillance for diagnostics, research, and prevention. JAMA. 1996;275:210–6.
- Ou CY, Takebe Y, Luo CC, Kalish ML, Auwanit W, Bandea C, Wide distribution of two subtypes of HIV-1 in Thailand. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1992;8:1471–2.
- Weniger BG, Limpakarnjanarat K, Ungchusak K, Thanprasertsuk S, Choopanya K, Vanichseni S, The epidemiology of HIV infection and AIDS in Thailand. AIDS. 1991;5:S71–85.
- McCutchan FE, Hegerich PA, Brennan TP, Phanuphak P, Singharaj P, Jugsudee A, Genetic variants of HIV-1 in Thailand. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1992;8:1887–95.
- Wright NH, Vanichseni S, Akarasewi P, Wasi C, Choopanya K. Was the 1988 HIV epidemic among Bangkok's injecting drugs users a common source outbreak? AIDS. 1994;8:529–32.
- Kalish ML, Baldwin A, Raktham S, Wasi C, Luo CC, Schochetman G, The evolving molecular epidemiology of HIV-1 envelope subtypes in injecting drug users in Bangkok, Thailand: implications for HIV vaccine trials. AIDS. 1995;9:851–7.
- Wasi C, Herring B, Raktham S, Vanichseni S, Mastro TD, Young NL, Determination of HIV-1 subtypes in injecting drug users in Bangkok, Thailand, using peptide-binding enzyme immunoassay and heteroduple mobility assay: evidence of increasing infection with HIV-1 subtype E. AIDS. 1995;9:843–9.
- Subbarao S, Limpakarnjanarat K, Mastro TD, Bhumisawasdi J, Warachit P, Jayavasu C, HIV-1 in Thailand, 1994-1995: persistence of two subtypes with low genetic diversity. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1998;14:319–27.
- Janssens W, Buve A, Nkengasong JN. The puzzle of HIV-1 subtypes in Africa. AIDS. 1997;11:705–12.
- Barin F, Courouce AM, Pillonel J, Buzelay L; Retrovirus Study Group of the French Society of Blood Transfusion. Increasing diversity of HIV-1M serotypes in French blood donors over a 10-year period (1985-1995). AIDS. 1997;11:1503–8.
- M üller-Trutwin MC, Chaix ML, Letourneur F, Begaud E, Beaumont D, Deslandres A, Increase of HIV-1 subtype A in Central African Republic. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1999;21:164–1.
- Mastro TD, Kunanusont C, Dondero TJ, Wasi C. Why do HIV-1 subtypes segregate among persons with different risk behaviors in South Africa and Thailand? AIDS. 1997;11:113–6.
- Oram JD, Downing RG, Roff M, Serwankambo N, Clegg JCS, Featherstone AS, Sequence analysis of the V3 loop regions of the env genes of Ugandan human immunodeficiency proviruses. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1991;1:605–14.
- Albert J, Franzen L, Jansson M, Scarlatti G, Kataaha PK, Katabira E, Ugandan HIV-1 V3 loop sequences closely related to the U.S./European consensus. Virology. 1992;190:674–81.
- WHO Network for HIV Isolation and Characterization. HIV type 1 variation in World Health Organization-sponsored vaccine evaluation sites: genetic screening, sequence analysis, and preliminary biological characterization of selected viral strains. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1994;10:1327–43.
- Bruce C, Clegg C, Featherstone A, Smith J, Biryahawaho B, Downing R, Presence of multiple genetic subtypes of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 proviruses in Uganda. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1994;10:1543–50.
- Smith JD, Bruce CB, Featherstone AS, Downing RG, Biryahawaho B, Clegg , . Reactions of Ugandan antisera with peptides encoded by V3 loop epitopes of human immunodeficiency virus type 1. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1994;10:577–83.
- Brennan CA, Lund JK, Golden A, Yamaguchi J, Vallari AS, Phillips JF, Serologic and phylogenetic characterization of HIV-1 subtypes in Uganda. AIDS. 1997;11:1823–32.
- Rayfield MA, Downing RG, Baggs J, Hu DJ, Pieniazek D, Luo CC, A molecular epidemiologic survey of HIV in Uganda. AIDS. 1998;12:521–7.
- Luo CC, Downing RG, dela Torre N, Baggs J, Hu DJ, Respess RA, The development and evaluation of a probe hybridization method for subtyping HIV type 1 infection in Uganda. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1998;14:691–4.
- Yang C, Pieniazek D, Owen SM, Fridlund C, Nkengasong J, Mastro TD, Detection of phylogenetically diverse human immunodeficiency virus type 1 groups M and O from plasma by using highly sensitive and specific generic primers. J Clin Microbiol. 1999;37:2581–6.
- Pieniazek D, Yang C, Lal RB. Phylogenetic analysis of gp41 envelope of HIV-1 groups M, N, and O provides an alternate region for subtype determination. In: Korber B, Foley B, McCutchan F, Mellors JW, Hahn BH, Sodroski J, et al, editors. Human retroviruses and AIDS 1998. Los Alamos: Los Alamos National Laboratory;1998:III-112-17.
- Dorn J, Masciotra S, Yang C, Downing R, Biryahwaho B, Mastro TD, Analysis of genetic variability within the immunodominant epitopes of envelope gp41 from HIV-1 Group M and its impact on HIV-1 antibody detection. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38:773–80.
- Downing R, Pieniazek D, Hu DJ, Biryahawaho B, Fridlund C, Rayfield MA, Genetic characterization and phylogenetic analysis of HIV-1 subtype C from Uganda. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2000;16:815–9.
- Hu DJ, Buvé A, Baggs J, van der Groen G, Dondero TJ. What role does HIV-1 subtype play in transmission and pathogenesis? An epidemiological perspective. AIDS. 1999;3:873–81.
- Robertson DL, Sharp PM, McCutchan FE, Hahn BH. Recombination in HIV-1. Nature. 1995;374:124–6.
Page created: December 17, 2010
Page updated: December 17, 2010
Page reviewed: December 17, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.