Volume 7, Number 1—February 2001
Rapid Identification of Corynebacterium diphtheriae Clonal Group Associated with Diphtheria Epidemic, Russian Federation
|Ribotype||Biotype||No. of strains||Primer 3||Primer 4|
aG, biotype gravis; M, biotype mitis. Cultures were kept lyophilized at room temperature or were stored in defibrinated sheep blood and held at -70°C until needed. Before use, the strains were inoculated onto blood agar plates (trypticase soy agar with 5% sheep blood; Becton Dickinson, Cockeysville, MD) and were incubated at 37°C overnight.
bDNA for ribotyping was isolated by the universal isolation procedure (5). Hybridization of restricted DNA fragments was performed using a mixture of five digoxigenin-labeled oligonucleotide probes at 37°C for 4 hours as recently described by Regnault et al. (6). Posthybridization washes were also performed at 37°C in 2X SSC (1 X SSC is 0.15 M NaCl plus 0.015 M sodium citrate), 0.1% sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS) for 2x5 minutes and in 0.1X SSC, 0.1% SDS for 2x10 minutes. Detection was performed by using the DIG Wash and Block Buffer Set (Boehringer Mannheim Biochemicals, Indianapolis, IN), sheep anti-digoxigenin antibody conjugated with alkaline phosphatase, nitroblue tetrazolium chloride (NBT), and 5-bromo-4-chloro-3-indolylphosphate (BCIP).
cNew = pattern has not been previously observed.
- Popovic T, Kombarova S, Reeves M, Nakao H, Mazurova IK, Wharton M, Molecular epidemiology of diphtheria in Russia, 1985-1994. J Infect Dis. 1996;174:1064–72.
- Nakao H, Popovic T. Use of random amplified polymorphic DNA for rapid molecular subtyping of Corynebacterium diphtheriae. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 1998;30:167–72.
- Efstratiou A, Maple PA. WHO manual for the laboratory diagnosis of diphtheria. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1994. Reference no. ICP-EPI 038(C).
- Mazurova IK, Melnikov V, Kombarova S. Manual for laboratory diagnostic of diphtheria infection. Moscow: Russian Federation State Committee on Sanitary Epidemiologic Surveillance;1995.
- Graves LM, Swaminathan B. Universal bacterial DNA isolation procedure. In: Persing DH, Smith TR, Tenover FC, White TJ, editors. Diagnostic molecular microbiology. Washington: American Society for Microbiology; 1993. p. 617-21.
- Regnault B, Grimont R, Grimont PAD. Universal ribotyping method using a chemically-labeled oligonucleotide probe mixture. Res Microbiol. 1997;146:649–59.
- Selander RK, Daugant DA, Ochman H, Musser JM, Gilmore MN, Whittam TS. Methods of multilocus enzyme electrophoresis for bacterial population genetic and systematics. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1986;51:873–4.
- Jacobs D. SAS/GRAPH software and numerical taxonomy. In: Proceedings of the 15th Annual Users Group International Conference. Cary (NC): SAS Institute; 1990. p. 1413-18.
- Grimont PAD, Grimont F, Ruckly C. The Corynebacterium diphtheriae ribotype database. In: Program and abstracts of the 5th International Meeting of the European Laboratory Working Group on Diphtheria. London: Public Health Laboratory Service; 1998. p. 31.