Volume 7, Number 3—June 2001
Expanding Drug Resistance through Integron Acquisition by IncFI Plasmids of Salmonella enterica Typhimurium
- Glynn MK, Bopp C, Dewitt W, Dabney P, Mokhtar M, Angulo FJ. Emergence of multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium DT104 infections in the United States. N Engl J Med. 1998;338:1333–8.
- Prager R, Liesegang A, Rabsch W, Gericke B, Thiel W, Voigt W, Clonal relationship of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium phage type DT104 in Germany and Austria. Zentralbl Bakteriol. 1999;289:399–414.
- Anderson ES, Threlfall EJ, Carr JM, McConnell MM, Smith HR. Clonal distribution of resistance plasmid-carrying Salmonella typhimurium, mainly in the Middle East. J Hyg (Lond). 1977;79:425–48.
- Domart A, Robineau M, Stroh A, Dubertret LM, Modai J. Septicemia due to Salmonella wien. Diagnostic, therapeutic and epidemiologic problems. Ann Med Interne (Paris). 1974;125:915–8.
- Casalino MA, Comanducci A, Nicoletti M, Maimone F. Stability of plasmid content in Salmonella wien in late phases of the epidemic history. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1984;25:499–501.
- Frost JA, Rowe B, Ward LR, Threlfall EJ. Characterization of resistance plasmids and carried phages in an epidemic clone of multi-resistant Salmonella typhimurium in India. J Hyg (Lond). 1982;88:193–204.
- Tosini F, Visca P, Luzzi I, Dionisi AM, Pezzella C, Petrucca A, Class 1 integron-borne multiple-antibiotic resistance carried by IncFI and IncL/M plasmids in Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1998;42:3053–8.
- Hall RM, Collis CM. Mobile gene cassettes and integrons: capture and spread of genes by site-specific recombination. Mol Microbiol. 1995;15:593–600.
- Liebert CA, Hall RM, Summers AO. Transposon Tn21, a flagship of the floating genome. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 1999;63:507–22.
- Colonna B, Bernardini M, Micheli G, Maimone F, Nicoletti M, Casalino M. The Salmonella wien virulence plasmid pZM3 carries Tn1935, a multiresistance transposon containing a composite IS1936-kanamycin resistance element. Plasmid. 1988;20:221–31.
- Maimone F, Colonna B, Bazzicalupo P, Oliva B, Nicoletti M, Casalino MA. Plasmids and transposable elements in Salmonella wien. J Bacteriol. 1979;139:369–75.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards. Performance standards for antimicrobial disc susceptibility tests. M2A2. Villanova, Pa: The Committee; 1992.
- Kado CI, Liu S. Rapid procedure for detection and isolation of large and small plasmids. J Bacteriol. 1981;145:1365–73.
Page created: April 26, 2012
Page updated: April 26, 2012
Page reviewed: April 26, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.