Volume 8, Number 7—July 2002
Monitoring Antimicrobial Use and Resistance: Comparison with a National Benchmark on Reducing Vancomycin Use and Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci
- Jarvis WR. Preventing the emergence of multidrug-resistant microorganisms through antimicrobial use controls: the complexity of the problem. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1996;17:490–5.
- Schwartz B, Bell D, Hughes JM. Preventing the emergence of antimicrobial resistance: a call for action by clinicians, public health officials, and patients. JAMA. 1997;278:944–5.
- Shlaes DM, Gerding DN, John JF, Craig WA, Bornstein DL, Duncan RA, Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America and Infectious Diseases Society of America Joint Committee on the Prevention of Antimicrobial Resistance: guidelines for the prevention of antimicrobial resistance in hospitals. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1997;18:275–91.
- Duncan RA. Controlling use of antimicrobial agents. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1997;18:260–6.
- Gross PA. The potential for clinical guidelines to impact appropriate antimicrobial agent use. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 1997;11:803–12.
- Goldmann DA, Weinstein RA, Wenzel RP, Tablan OC, Duma RJ, Gaynes RP, Strategies to prevent and control the emergence and spread of antimicrobial-resistant microorganisms in hospitals. JAMA. 1996;275:234–40.
- Hospital Infection control Practices Advisory Committee. Recommendations for preventing the spread of vancomycin resistance. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1996;16:105–13.
- Lawton RM, Fridkin SK, Gaynes RP, McGowan JE Jr. Practices to improve antimicrobial use at 47 U.S. hospitals: the status of the 1997 SHEA/IDSA position paper recommendations. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000;21:256–9.
- Burstin HR, Conn A, Setnik G, Rucker DW, Cleary PD, O'Neil AC, Benchmarking and quality improvement: the Harvard Emergency Department Quality Study. Am J Med. 1999;107:437–49.
- O'Connor GTP, Plume SKM, Olmstead EM, Morton JRM, Maloney CTM, Nugent WCM, A regional intervention to improve the hospital mortality associated with coronary artery bypass graft surgery. JAMA. 1996;275:841–6.
- Gulacsi L, Kiss ZT, Goldmann DA, Huskins WC. Risk-adjusted infection rates in surgery: a model for outcome measurement in hospitals developing new quality improvement programs. J Hosp Infect. 2000;44:43–52.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Monitoring hospital-acquired infections to promote patient safety—United States, 1990–1999. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2000;49:149–53.
- Fridkin SK, Steward CD, Edwards JR, McGowan JE Jr, Culver DH, Gaynes RP, Surveillance of antimicrobial use and antimicrobial resistance in U.S. Hospitals: Project ICARE Phase 2. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;29:245–52.
- Garner JS, Jarvis WR, Emori G, Horan TC, Hughes JM. CDC definitions for nosocomial infections, 1988. Am J Infect Control. 1988;16:128–40.
- Emori G, Culver DH, Horan TC, Jarvis WR, Olson DR, Banerjee S, National nosocomial infections surveillance (NNIS): Description of surveillance methods. Am J Infect Control. 1991;19:19–35.
- Steward CD, Wallace D, Hubert SK, Lawton R, Fridkin SK, Gaynes RP, Ability of laboratories to detect emerging antimicrobial resistance in nosocomial pathogens: a survey of Project ICARE laboratories. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2000;38:59–67.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards. Methods for dilution antimicrobial susceptibility tests for bacteria that grow aerobically. NCCLS approved standard M7-A5. 5th ed. Wayne (PA): National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards; 2000.
- National Nosocomial Infection Surveillance System. Intensive Care Antimicrobial Resistance Epidemiology (ICARE) Surveillance Report, data summary from January 1996 through December 1997. Am J Infect Control. 1999;27:279–84.
- Fridkin SK, Edwards JR, Pryor ER, McGowan JE Jr, Tenover FC, Culver DH, Determinants of vancomycin use in adult intensive care units at U.S. hospitals. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;28:1119–25.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Recommendations for preventing the spread of vancomycin resistance recommendations of the hospital infection control practices advisory committee (HICPAC). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1995;44:1–13.
- Starr P. The framework of health care reform. N Engl J Med. 1993;329:1666–72.
- Epstein AM. The outcomes movement—will it get us where we want to go? N Engl J Med. 1990;323:266–70.
- Lomas J, Enkin M, Anderson GM, Hannah WJ, Vayda E, Singer J. Opinion leaders versus audit and feedback to implement practice guidelines: delivery after previous cesarean section. JAMA. 1991;265:2202–7.
- Everitt DE, Soumerai SB, Avorn J, Klapholz H, Wessels M. Changing surgical antimicrobial prophlylaxis practices through education targeted at senior department leaders. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1990;11:578–83.
Page created: April 19, 2012
Page updated: April 19, 2012
Page reviewed: April 19, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.