Volume 10, Number 1—January 2004
Estimating the Public Health Impact of Rabies
|Disease||Total DALYs lost (x 1,000)|
aDALY, disability-adjusted life year.
bThe DALY score for rabies was based on official World Health Organization (WHO) figures (10). The other listed diseases constitute the official DALY score in 2001 for the priority diseases in the TDR (United Nations Development Program/World Bank/WHO Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases) portfolio (8).
- Rupprecht CE, Hanlon CA, Hemachudha T. Rabies re-examined. Lancet Infect Dis. 2002;2:327–43.
- Taylor LH, Latham SM, Woolhouse MEJ. Risk factors for human disease emergence. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2001;356:983–9.
- World Health Organization. Strategies for the control and elimination of rabies in Asia. Report of a WHO interregional consultation. Geneva: The Organization; 2002.
- Rutebarika C, Winyi-Kaboyo R, Barrat J, King A, eds. Proceedings of the Southern and Eastern African Rabies Group meeting. Entebbe, Uganda: Fondation Marcel Merieux; 2000.
- Bögel K, Meslin F-X. Economics of human and canine rabies elimination: guidelines for programme orientation. Bull World Health Organ. 1990;68:281–91.
- Murray CJL, Lopez AD. The global burden of disease: a comprehensive assessment of mortality and disability from diseases, injuries and risk factors in 1990 and projected to 2020. Cambridge: Harvard University Press; 1996.
- World Health Organization. Investing in health research and development: report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Health Research Relating to Future Intervention Options. Geneva: The Organization; 1996.
- World Health Organization. The world health report 2002: reducing risks, promoting healthy life. Geneva: The Organization, 2002.
- Cleaveland S, Fèvre EM, Kaare M, Coleman PG. Estimating human rabies mortality in the United Republic of Tanzania from dog bite injuries. Bull World Health Organ. 2002;80:304–10.
- World Health Organization. World survey of rabies no. 32 for the Year 1996. Geneva: The Organization; 1998.
- Remme JHF, Blas E, Chitsulo L, Desjeux MP, Engers HD, Kanyok TP, Strategic emphases on tropical diseases research: a TDR perspective. Trends Parasitol. 2002;18:421–6.
- Eng TR, Fishbein DB, Talamante HE, Hall DB, Chavez GF, Dobbins JG, Urban epizootic of rabies in Mexico—epidemiology and impact of animal bite injuries. Bull World Health Organ. 1993;71:615–24.
- World Health Organization. World survey of rabies no. 27 for the Year 1991. Geneva: The Organization; 1993.
- Kitala PM, McDermott JJ, Kyule MN, Gathuma JM. Community-based active surveillance for rabies in Machakos District, Kenya. Prev Vet Med. 2000;44:73–85.
- Pan American Health Organization. Human rabies in the Americas. Epidemiol Bull. 1995;16:12–3.