Volume 11, Number 11—November 2005
Ehrlichia ruminantium, Sudan
- Uilenberg G. Heartwater (Cowdria ruminantium infection): current status. Adv Vet Sci Comp Med. 1983;27:427–80.
- Burridge MJ, Simmons LA, Peter TF, Mahan SM. Increasing risks of introduction of heartwater onto the American mainland associated with animal movements. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002;969:269–74.
- Walker JB, Olwage A. The tick vectors of Cowdria ruminantium (Ixodoidea, Ixodidae, genus Amblyomma) and their distribution. Onderstepoort J Vet Res. 1987;54:353–79.
- Jongejan F, Morzaria SP, Shariff OA, Abdalla HM. Isolation and transmission of Cowdria ruminantium (causal agent of heartwater disease) in Blue Nile Province, Sudan. Vet Res Commun. 1984;8:141–5.
- Peter TF, Deem SL, Barbet AF, Norval RAI, Simbi BH, Kelly PJ, Development and evaluation of PCR assay for detection of low levels of Cowdria ruminantium infection in Amblyomma ticks not detected by DNA probe. J Clin Microbiol. 1995;33:166–72.
- Allsopp MTEP, Dorfling CM, Maillard JC, Bensaid A, Haydon DT, van Heerden H, Ehrlichia ruminantium major antigenic protein gene (map1) variants are not geographically constrained and show no evidence of having evolved under positive selection pressure. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:4200–3.
- Reddy GR, Sulsona CR, Harrison RH, Mahan SM, Burridge MJ, Barbet AF. Sequence heterogeneity of the major antigenic protein 1 genes from Cowdria ruminantium isolates from different geographical areas. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 1996;3:417–22.
- Peter TF, Barbet AF, Alleman AR, Simbi BH, Burridge MJ, Mahan SM. Detection of the agent of heartwater, Cowdria ruminantium, in Amblyomma ticks by PCR: validation and application of the assay to field ticks. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38:1539–44.
- Morita C, Hussein ARME, Matsuda E, Gabbar KMAA, Muramatsu Y, Rahman MBA, Spotted fever group rickettsiae from ticks captured in Sudan. Jpn J Infect Dis. 2004;57:107–9.
- Allsopp MTEP, van Heerden H, Steyn HC, Allsopp BA. Phylogenetic relationships among Ehrlichia ruminantium isolates. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2003;990:685–91.
Page created: February 17, 2012
Page updated: February 17, 2012
Page reviewed: February 17, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.