Volume 15, Number 3—March 2009
Meeting the Challenge of Influenza Pandemic Preparedness in Developing Countries
- Oshitani H, Kamigaki T, Suzuki A. Major issues and challenges of influenza pandemic preparedness in developing countries. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:875–80.
- Fedson DS, Dunnill P. From scarcity to abundance: pandemic vaccines and other agents for “have not” countries. J Public Health Policy. 2007;28:322–40.
- World Health Organization. Options for the use of human H5N1 influenza vaccines and the WHO H5N1 vaccine stockpile. WHO scientific consultation. 2007 Oct 1–3; Geneva [cited 2008 Dec 10]. Available from http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/WHO_HSE_EPR_GIP_2008_1d.pdf
- Higgs ES, Hayden FG, Chotpitayasunondh T, Whitworth J, Farrar J. The Southeast Asian Influenza Clinical Research Network: development and challenges for a new multilateral research endeavor. Antiviral Res. 2008;78:64–8.
- Chen LM, David CT, Zhou H, Cox NJ, Donis RO. Genetic compatibility and virulence of reassortants derived from contemporary avian H5N1 and human H3N2 influenza A viruses. PLoS Pathog. 2008;4:e1000072.
- Belser JA, Blixt O, Chen LM, Pappas C, Maines TR, Van Hoeven N, Contemporary North America influenza H7 viruses possess human receptor specificity: implications for virus transmissibility. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:7558–63.
- Reports of increased survival in bird flu patients taking Tamiflu. International Symposium on Respiratory Viral Infections; 2008 Mar 2; Singapore [cited 2008 Dec 10]. Available from http://www.antara.co.id/en/print/?i=1204536377
- Murray CJL, Lopez AD, Chin B, Feehan D, Hill KH. Estimation of potential global influenza mortality on the basis of vital registry data from the 1918–1920 pandemic: a quantitative analysis. Lancet. 2006;368:2211–8.
- Webster RG, Campbell CH. Studies on the origin of pandemic influenza. IV. Selection and transmission of “new” influenza viruses in vivo. Virology. 1974;62:404–13.
- Fidler DP. Influenza virus samples, international law, and global health diplomacy. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:88–94.
- Schnirring L. Indonesia claims wide support for virus-sharing stance. Center for Infectious Disease and Research Policy News. 2008 May 27 [cited 2008 Dec 12]. Available from http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/avianflu/news/may2708sharing.html
- Fedson DS. New technologies for meeting the global demand for pandemic influenza vaccines. Biologicals. 2008;36:346–9.
- Fedson DS. Pandemic influenza: a potential role for statins in treatment and prophylaxis. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;43:199–205.
- Fedson DS. Confronting an influenza pandemic with inexpensive generic agents: can it be done? Lancet Infect Dis. 2008;8:571–6.
- Butler D. Cheaper approaches to flu divide flu researchers. Nature. 2007;448:976–7.
- Writing Committee of the Second World Health Organization Consultation on Clinical Aspects of Human Infection with Avian Influenza A (H5N1) Virus; Abdel-Ghafar AN, Chotpitayasunondh T, Gao Z, Hayden FG, Nguyen DH, de Jong MD, et al. Update on avian influenza A (H5N1) virus infection in humans. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:261–73.
- van de Garde EM, Hak E, Souverein PC, Hoes AW, van den Bosch JM, Leufkens HG. Statin therapy and reduced risk of pneumonia in patients with diabetes. Thorax. 2006;61:957–61.
- Schlienger RG, Fedson DS, Jick S, Jick H, Meier C. Statins and the risk of pneumonia: a population-based nested case-control study. Pharmacotherapy. 2007;27:325–32.
- Mortensen EM, Pugh MJ, Copeland L, Cornell J, Restrepo MI, Anzueto A, Impact of statins and ACE inhibitors on mortality for patients hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia and influenza. Eur Respir J. 2008;31:611–7.
- Chalmers JD, Singanayagam A, Murray MP, Hill AT. Prior statin use is associated with improved outcomes in community-acquired pneumonia. Am J Med. 2008;121:1002–7.
- Thomsen RW, Riis A, Kornum JB, Christensen S, Johnsen SP, Sorensen HT. Preadmission use of statins and outcomes after hospitalization with pneumonia. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168:2081–7.
- Majumdar SR, McAlister FA, Eurich DT, Padwal RS, Marrie TJ. Statins and outcomes in patients admitted to hospital with community acquired pneumonia: a population based prospective cohort study. BMJ. 2006;333:999–1004.
- Choi HS, Park MJ, Kang HM, Lim IH, Choi CW, You JH. Statin use and mortality in sepsis due to pneumonia. Crit Care Med. 2007;35(Suppl):1362.
- Budd A, Alleva L, Alsharifi M, Koskinen A, Smytha V, Mullbacher A, Increased survival after gemfibrozil treatment of severe mouse influenza. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2007;51:2965–8.
- Palamara AT, Nencioni L, Aquilano K, De Chiara G, Hernandez L, Cossolino F, Inhibition of influenza A virus replication by resveratrol. J Infect Dis. 2005;191:1719–29.
- Song JM, Park KD, Lee KH, Byun YH, Park JH, Kim SH, Biological evaluation of anti-influenza viral activity of semi-synthetic catechin derivatives. Antiviral Res. 2007;76:178–85.
- Siddiqui AM, Cui X, Wu R, Dong W, Zhou M, Hu M, The anti-inflammatory effect of curcumin in an experimental model of sepsis is mediated by up-regulation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma. Crit Care Med. 2006;34:1874–82.
- Zheng BJ, Chan KW, Lin YP, Zhao GY, Chan C, Zhang HJ, Delayed antiviral plus immunomodulator treatment still reduces mortality in mice infected by high inoculum of influenza A/H5N1 virus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:8091–6.
- Simmons C, Farrar JT. Insights into inflammation. N Engl J Med. 2008;359:1621–3.
- McAuley JL, Hornung F, Boyd KL, Smith AM, McKeon R, Bennick J, Expression of the 1918 influenza A virus PB1–F2 enhances the pathogenesis of viral and secondary bacterial pneumonia. Cell Host Microbe. 2007;2:240–9.
- Imai Y, Kuba K, Neely GG, Yaghubian-Malhami R, Perkmann T, van Loo G, Identification of oxidative stress and Toll-like receptor 4 signaling as a key pathway of acute lung injury. Cell. 2008;133:235–49.
- Mizgerd JP, Skerrett SJ. Animal models of human lung disease. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2008;294:L387–98.
- Fukunaga K, Kohli P, Bonnans C, Fredenburgh LE, Levy BD. Cyclooxygenase 2 plays a pivotal role in the resolution of acute lung injury. J Immunol. 2005;174:5033–9.
- Korteweg C, Gu J. Pathology, molecular biology, and pathogenesis of avian influenza A (H5N1) infection in humans. Am J Pathol. 2008;172:1155–70.
- van der Poll T, Opal SM. Host-pathogen interactions in sepsis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2008;8:32–43.
- Rittirsch D, Flierl MA, Ward PA. Harmful molecular mechanisms in sepsis. Nat Rev Immunol. 2008;8:776–87.
- Carré JE, Singer M. Cellular energetic metabolism in sepsis: the need for a systems approach. Biochim Biophys Acta 2008;1777:763–71.
- World Health Organization. WHO global conference on severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Where do we go from here? 2003 Jun 17–18 [cited 2008 Dec 10]. Available from http://www.who.int/csr/sars/conference/june_2003/materials/report/en/index.html