Volume 16, Number 1—January 2010
Rapid Displacement of Dengue Virus Type 1 by Type 4, Pacific Region, 2007–2009
|Date of appearance||Country||Source/reference|
|2008 Apr||Nauru||T. Bryar, pers. comm.*|
|2008 May||Kiribati||This study|
|2008 Jul||Samoa||This study|
|2008 Jul||American Samoa||T. Bryar, pers. comm.*|
|2008 Jul||Palau||T. Bryar, pers. comm.*|
|2008 Aug||Cook Islands||T. Bryar, pers. comm.*|
|2008 Aug||Fiji||T. Bryar, pers. comm.*|
|2008 Aug||Niue||T. Bryar, pers. comm.*|
|2008 Oct||Vanuatu||T. Bryar, pers. comm.*|
|2008 Dec||Tonga||This study|
|2008 Nov||New Caledonia||This study|
|2009 Feb||French Polynesia||T. Bryar, pers. comm.*|
|2009 Jun||Chile (Easter Island)||ProMED-mail†|
*Western Pacific Regional Office, World Health Organization.
- Singh N, Kiedrzynski T, Lepers C, Benyon E. Dengue in the Pacific—an update of the current situation. Pac Health Dialog. 2005;12:111–9.
- A-Nuegoonpipat A, Berlioz-Arthaud A, Chow V, Endy T, Lowry K, Mai L, et al. Sustained transmission of dengue virus type 1 in the Pacific due to repeated introductions of different Asian strains. Virology. 2004;329:505–12.
- Shu P-Y, Su C-L, Liao T-L, Fang C-F, Chang S-F, Lin C-C, Molecular characterisation of dengue viruses imported into Taiwan during 2003–2007: geographic distribution and genotype shift. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009;80:1039–46.
- Aaskov JG, Geysen HM, Mason TJ. Serologically defined epitopes in the envelope protein of dengue 2 (Jamaica strain 1409). Arch Virol. 1989;105:209–21.
- Trirawatanapong TB, Chandran R, Putnak R, Padmanabhan R. Mapping of a region of dengue virus type 2 glycoprotein required for binding by a neutralising monoclonal antibody. Gene. 1992;116:139–50.
- Sukupolvi-Petty S, Austin SK, Purtha WE, Oliphant T, Nybakken GE, Schlesinger JJ, Type- and subcomplex-specific neutralising antibodies against domain III of dengue virus type 2 envelope protein recognise adjacent epitopes. J Virol. 2007;81:12816–26.
- Leitmeyer KC, Vaughn DW, Watts DM, Salas R, Villalobos I, de Chacon RC, Dengue virus structural differences that correlate with pathogenesis. J Virol. 1999;73:4738–47.
Page created: March 31, 2011
Page updated: March 31, 2011
Page reviewed: March 31, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.