Volume 18, Number 8—August 2012
Escherichia coli O104 Associated with Human Diarrhea, South Africa, 2004–2011
|Gene target*||Primer sequence, 5′ → 3′||Size of amplification product, bp||Multiplex PCR in which primers are included||Reference|
*stx, Shiga toxin; eae, intimin outer membrane protein; est, heat-stable enterotoxin; elt, heat-labile enterotoxin; ipaH, invasion protein; aat, transporter protein; daaC, accessory protein with a function in F1845 fimbriae production.
- Nataro JP, Kaper JB. Diarrheagenic Escherichia coli. Clin Microbiol Rev. 1998;11:142–201.
- Struelens MJ, Palm D, Takkinen J. Enteroaggregative, Shiga toxin–producing Escherichia coli O104:H4 outbreak: new microbiological findings boost coordinated investigations by European public health laboratories. Euro Surveill. 2011;16:pii:19890.
- World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe. International health regulations. Outbreaks of E. coli O104:H4 infection: update 30, 2011 [cited 2012 Apr 10]. http://www.euro.who.int/en/what-we-do/health-topics/emergencies/international-health-regulations/news/news/2011/07/outbreaks-of-e.-coli-o104h4-infection-update-30
- Rubino S, Cappuccinelli P, Kelvin DJ. Escherichia coli (STEC) serotype O104 outbreak causing haemolytic syndrome (HUS) in Germany and France. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2011;5:437–40.
- Mellmann A, Bielaszewska M, Kock R, Friedrich AW, Fruth A, Middendorf B, Analysis of collection of hemolytic uremic syndrome-associated enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:1287–90.
- Scheutz F, Nielsen EM, Frimodt-Moller J, Boisen N, Morabito S, Tozzoli R, Characteristics of the enteroaggregative Shiga toxin/verotoxin–producing Escherichia coli O104:H4 strain causing the outbreak of haemolytic uraemic syndrome in Germany, May to June 2011. Euro Surveill. 2011;16:pii:19889.
- Orskov I, Orskov F, Jann B, Jann K. Serology, chemistry, and genetics of O and K antigens of Escherichia coli. Bacteriol Rev. 1977;41:667–710.
- European Union Reference Laboratory for. E. coli, Department of Veterinary Public Health and Food Safety. Detection and identification of verocytotoxin–producing Escherichia coli (VTEC) O104:H4 in food by real time PCR, 2011 [cited 2012 Apr 10]. http://www.iss.it/binary/vtec/cont/Lab_Proc_VTEC_O104.pdf
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Methods for dilution antimicrobial susceptibility tests for bacteria that grow aerobically. Approved standard, 8th ed. M07–A8. Wayne (PA): The Institute; 2009.
- Cebula TA, Payne WL, Feng P. Simultaneous identification of strains of Escherichia coli serotype O157:H7 and their Shiga-like toxin type by mismatch amplification mutation assay-multiplex PCR. J Clin Microbiol. 1995;33:248–50.
- Vidal M, Kruger E, Duran C, Lagos R, Levine M, Prado V, Single multiplex PCR assay to identify simultaneously the six categories of diarrheagenic Escherichia coli associated with enteric infections. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:5362–5.
- López-Saucedo C, Cerna JF, Villegas-Sepulveda N, Thompson R, Velazquez FR, Torres J, Single multiplex polymerase chain reaction to detect diverse loci associated with diarrheagenic Escherichia coli. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003;9:127–31.
- Schmidt H, Knop C, Franke S, Aleksic S, Heesemann J, Karch H. Development of PCR for screening of enteroaggregative Escherichia coli. J Clin Microbiol. 1995;33:701–5.
- Ribot EM, Fair MA, Gautom R, Cameron DN, Hunter SB, Swaminathan B, Standardization of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocols for the subtyping of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella, and Shigella for PulseNet. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2006;3:59–67.
- Law D, Chart H. Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli. J Appl Microbiol. 1998;84:685–97.
Page created: July 23, 2012
Page updated: July 23, 2012
Page reviewed: July 23, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.